From the Herb Garden

mick

Okay, here's my favourite plants for along the lineside selected from the local garden centres herb garden - Thyme!

I hadn't realised that there were several varieties of Thyme but all the ones I've seen so far are suitable for planting alongside the railway. They are generally low growing, small leaved, retain their leaves over winter, are easily trimmed to keep them in check and they are very easy to propagate from cuttings.

At least three different varieties of Thyme can be found on Worsley Dale but alas, I do not know exactly which variety they are. This first example is the smallest leaved and more compact than the others. I have used it at the entrance to the tunnel where it has now grown right up to the tunnel portal itself. Its leaves are a dark green colour and it produces small flowers above the foliage.

3abf4704a3441f54380102139e368446.jpg

The second example is a brighter green colour with leaves just a touch larger than the first example. Again it is a low growing form but it produces a slightly larger plant that tends to keep its shape better with less tendency to become straggly.

3ad2fd17f41e0363ab163fe273fa9eb8.jpg

.....It also looks good when allowed to grow over the boundaries.

4c0f8f21dcd147ca5dab8c0c5fe0d2e8.jpg

The final example is a taller variety that tends to get a bit leggy and needs quite a bit of regular trimming in order to allow trains to pass by. This one is better planted along the far side of the railway where it produces a realistic backdrop of leaves and bare twigs. Not as compact as the other two but I like what it brings to the scene.

ab1e5f80a74539933abb99551c23bd55.jpg

Just three examples of what can be found in the herb garden to bring your layout to life. Just tear little bits off and pop them into some compost and they'll root in no time giving you lots more plants at no extra cost.

Mick. A while back I had thought if I could just get some herbs like that to grow on my layout. Then I tried my green scrubbies and other fake things. But seeing that makes me think it's time to look at using thyme again. How deep a root system do they have, or rather how much dirt would they need to stay alive do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

That looks perfect. Thyme grows wildly in the open ground out side of my house so will be a must use plant when I plant up in spring time.

- looks correct

- stays small

- spreads its self

- does not require much if any watering

- easy to acquire and to propagate.

traingeekboy said:

Mick. A while back I had thought if I could just get some herbs like that to grow on my layout. Then I tried my green scrubbies and other fake things. But seeing that makes me think it's time to look at using thyme again. How deep a root system do they have, or rather how much dirt would they need to stay alive do you think?

Sorry Griff - missed this post previously.

They only have a very shallow root system but as for the amount of soil you'd need to keep them alive I really wouldn't like to say for certain. Not a lot I wouldn't think because you can keep them going pretty well in a small 3-inch wide plant pot.