Hellifield Railway Station

mick

I mentioned in another thread that we had recently visited Hellifield railway station. We've been staying close by and could clearly hear the passing trains so one afternoon we decided to walk up to the station and take a look around. I'd never seen the station before other than in photographs so I was keen to see just what it was like. I must apologise in advance for my lack of decent photographs and the fact that I didn't take any of the exterior of the station but seemed to concentrate more on the area beneath the canopied roof.

The station is accessed via a long road off the main A65 in Hellifield village and finally beneath a dimly lit subway that would probably cause some concern late at night. You emerge onto the platforms beneath the wonderful canopied roof that I remember from those earlier photographs. It's clear that only part of the station is now in regular use but it is very clean, tidy and apparently well maintained. It's an island platform with trains to Carlisle departing from the near platform and those in the opposite direction to Leeds from the platform to the rear.

I was surprised to discover that the canopied roof didn't actually extend along the full length of the original platforms as I had previously envisaged but that's most likely my fault for not taking sufficient notice before. I had it in my mind that they did and because of that the roof seemed somewhat shorter than I was expecting. This is a view beneath the platform canopy looking in the direction of Carlisle:

8c39d02c149aea4b0344adf058422faf.jpg

And this is a similar view but looking along the same platform towards Leeds:

3663ac7a5c65aada297ceec847a1248a.jpg

As you can see, the parts of the station that see regular use are clean and nicely maintained but other areas have become somewhat neglected. This is the area towards the Carlisle end of the station:

9ed625ad4d9c7cd04804f93eab70842d.jpg

The vegetation you see in the above photograph towards the near left of the image is actually an old bay platform that has become overgrown. This can be better seen in the following photograph:

53accdaf964c298674da1b19f843cbf8.jpg

Looks a while since the bay has seen any kind of traffic.

I mentioned that I had imagined the platform canopy roof to be longer than it actually is and I'm not sure if this photo suggests that at one time it really was even if only by only a small amount. There certainly seems to be some pockets into which additional girders could be slotted. Perhaps they had some other use?

e6d6d1e5758f59469b46f92482dcf333.jpg

Looking round it seems that any available vacant space would be filled with an array of flowers:

556e13ba5d0033f8395f89fb42e716d4.jpg

While other features gave little indication of past use, although this one may at one time have housed a station clock?

a9c431360cc708cb073ad2aa084aee20.jpg

And finally the blue plaques adorning the walls of the station building

mik1.jpg

Not a very in-depth view of the station but a small glimpse into what can be discovered.

Just as we made our way out of Hellifield station we witnessed a ballast train passing through which generated great excitement among a small group of enthusiasts on the platform. DRS locomotives 66426, 57008 and 57009 are seen in charge.

e73f9760a3ea232f3dc4026620966c79.jpg

3ca0cd8d6eaf1c4cc495af39d7f542e5.jpg

f93197251d282eba54bcaf90c75df989.jpg

I went there in 2000 and the station was under restoration and I couldn't get onto the main platform. Pacer DMU's were stopping on the end of the platform on the Skipton end. The only people who didn't seem to get a mention for giving money towards the restoration was the Tiddly Winks Association.

In the Railscene cab ride video in 1986 the station was derelict and the inspector said, "listed building but as far as I'm concerned it will be there till it falls down. If the railway wants to close and demolish a building and someone wants to save it then they should be made to pay for it's upkeep. There's no way that Hellifield Station should be allowed to get into that state".

He also had the signal box at Dent Station demolished due to the steps rotting and in danger of total collapse with people climbing the steps to get photos of steam locos.

If the steps had collapsed with people on them and they got badly injured then they would have sued BR, hence the demolition.

Roy.

• 1 month later...

I have a habit of stopping there when I travel on the Settle to Carlisle line. There are times of day when you can catch the Leeds - Morecambe service, jump off at Hellifield and grab a mug of tea and a sausage sandwich before the Carlisle services arrives 20 minutes later. Its a very nice spot.

chris said:

I have a habit of stopping there when I travel on the Settle to Carlisle line. There are times of day when you can catch the Leeds - Morecambe service, jump off at Hellifield and grab a mug of tea and a sausage sandwich before the Carlisle services arrives 20 minutes later. Its a very nice spot.

Have you noticed the little shop on the end of the station building selling model railway items? It was open when we visited in September although I didn't have time to look inside. Not sure how big the stocks are but perhaps worth a look next time you're on the platform - if it's still doing business then.