New Northwest England Railway.

CWROCS

Hi CWROCS, awesome bit of carpentry work on the curve section joins are spot on, do you have a mitre saws, come in handy for working on the hobby, I did have a bench saw till I sold it a few weeks back and bought a Ryobi 18volt circular saw, all I need to cut ply.

you made a god move there staining the timber and glossing it, when you were saying you had trouble getting track nails out f wood, I always pre drill my track nail holes first, have no problem pulling them out with wire cutters.

I would stay clear from using hot glue as you may not be able to life the track if you have too replace a point, how hard is the decking timber.

Looks like we both will be running a train or test loco together as I am not far form running my test loco on my layout which is an out door layout module layout, painting the 20feet of track bed I have finished tomorrow, pics on my post.

Happy modelling from down under, Tony.

Hi all, back again after a few miserable days rain in Manchester. We have finally got a full circuit built, and "L" shaped dog bone type layout. To answer some question and not being rude.

1> yes a chop saw/bench mounted circular say cut the mitre joints on the dog bones and a good job too.

2> The decking has had a quick coat of stain i found in the garage, but it will also be varnished in a matt finish.

3> Taken on board about the hot glue and i makes sense really, will have to invest in small drill bit and re drill some of the track sleeper.

i am taking my time this time and not rushing to get trains running, was kept up all last night thinking about what could be achieved. Under the apple where the line crosses for the return dog bone, i was thinking on a length of tunnel with a hinged lid, as apples falling off the tree might damage the track.

At the water butt end (now named waterbutt end), for the return to the main straight will eventually be a polystyrene viaduct, covered in some sort of render.

We have in the garden a plastic garden pyramid water feature (pretty crap really), but was thinking of re-sighting this into the Dog bone curve at waterbutt end and then making a dry stream under the viaduct, but would be in water if it rains, and then down to a sump to water the garden, or at least something like that.

Lets hope the weather hold over the bank holiday weekend, and might get a small train running or at least some pics with a train on the track for effect.

have a good one all.

Cheers

Chris

any here are some piccies or progress so far.

20150429_191358.jpg

20150429_191332.jpg

20150429_190730.jpg

20150429_190725.jpg

20150429_190644.jpg

20150429_190641.jpg

Hi all,

Work has progressed slowly over the bank holiday weekend. Other things got in the way (re decorating the Kitchen) so to speak. Anyway i did some design work and careful measuring and proceeded to build the viaduct, from polystyrene sheet. Got it all cut and in place (1x 4ft x 2ft8inch) viaduct. Planning officer did not like it, said everything else was excellent except this, now it was white and no matter how much it was discussed that it would be rendered and painted grey (ish), it was not approved so out it came (sorry no Photos), But seemingly garden trellis has the go ahead, So few lengths of that will be purchased next pay day.

A bit of leveling up has been achieved, and some more support added in places. So now the track base is completed, and has been stained 3 times, and given a matt varnish coating.

Sorting out the track and doing a bit of track laying has now commenced. I am doing it in two stages

Stage 1

Put track down then add/solder droppers to track for power feed.

stage 2

Add/solder droppers to track the then put it down.

No real reason for this but to see which is the easiest method for not only me but fixing the track. I am not putting wires across the joints as each section of track will be powdered so hope this gets round it, as most track used is 3ft flexi track. (photos to follow).

Power will be Dc as all my loco's are old and from the late 60's early 70's from when i was a child. That said i have still had to do some fetling with them.

So there you go not quite up and running yet, but taking ones time and making sure it correct this time.

Cheers

Chris

Hi all, well not much too report, weather been a bit iffy lately, but have managed to get a loop of track fixed down with two sets of points at either end, (control to be decided upon), AND, have managed to run a quick train round the loop, in a fashion.

MY H & M controller fixed to the track 1 point only at this stage, and quite a successful loop of the track, just a few points where the loco slowed, but will be adding power droppers to each length of track etc. Photos will follow shortly . Just need it to be a bit warmer to get out in the garden and sit and do the soldering.

I have also added some small 5mm LED £3.99 for 50 solar powered, and sunk them into the grooves of deck board (I like LED's), I know not in keeping with model railways but what the heck. I have also cut some old brake pipe i had lying around and shaped to form lamp posts, where again i will use small Led's and light some parts of the track.

So jobs still to do,

1> fit bus wires for power around the track length

2> maybe build a tunnel

3> consider stations and other buildings etc

4> Blend railway into the garden more.

5> Enjoy.

Onwards and upwards

Cheers Chris.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all nearly a month has passed, and sadly not much work progressed due mainly to poor weather conditions etc. Well the track is down (loosely) and we have had some running although intermittent considering the age of the locos, and sadly some have had to be scrapped or re purposed. i am though surprised at the cost of 2nd hand locos on ebay, seem to have gone up considerably recently.

So where are we at, track down and droppers fixes for power, last night started the wiring for the droppers, oh and a Girder style bridge built from kids K'nex play kits assembled and positioned (looks OK).

Got to look at some of the track has had quite a few de-railments of 0-2-0 loco and Co-Co diesels. Water fountain in place in centre of the Waterbutt end dog bone loop, again looks OK.

Station platforms are going to style from Wire conduit or trunking (which ever it is called, where the top pops off to conceal wires) found this is just hte right high for carriages etc.

So onwards and up wards.

Cheers. Chris

Photos to follow next post.

• 3 weeks later...

Some new imagery of the line with a train running.

Still having trouble though getting video onto the site. Anyway photos of the small shunter and 4 mixed coaches 2x sunshine panorama coaches . looking for a Pacific EMD F7 to go with the coaches.

Oh and the girder bridge made from Kids K,nex building system.

Cheers Chris

20150628_161206.jpg

20150628_161207.jpg

20150628_161231.jpg

20150628_161232.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi every one, so sorry its been ages since the las tpost in June 2015, but many personnel matters have conspired against me, however we are back, and the railway seems to have survived the winter so far, Just a few leaves and dirt but nothing major.

i am hoping to get a bit more done this year to make it look more realistic, maybe add some railway furniture etc and install i few bridges along with sorting out some de-railing issues.

Think hte main concern is going to be the power supply to the track and last year it was a bit ropy to say the least. Also oping to extend a little further around our cherry tree and back to the main line.

But lets see what the weather bring in the next few weeks back garden is absolutely water logged.

Until next time

• 2 months later...

Well the weather has been sort of kind this weekend with high temps etc, which allowed a little work on the railway after winter. Cleaned all the track with a rubbing block with wet and dry paper. Connected the power and up she powered a few teething problems but nothing major.

I have not reallt decided what new for this year as the railway is 2ft above ground suspend on the fence posts, on decking planks. i want to extend with a second loop (passing loop) really.

What i really want is it too run without to many derailments. I am going to have to look at some of curves also, as my long coaches (not all ) are having trouble negotiating the curves, could also do with some more engines.

Until the next fine weekend.

ttfn