New Northwest England Railway.

CWROCS

Hi Guys, Well it has finally happened, after spending countless hours on this forum, and seeing many of the splendid garden railways, my own has risen out of the ashes of an indoor board layout. Its not big and its not named yet, and the opening ceremony has not yet been arranged, but it works, with a few teething troubles. (photos to follow)

Well its a single track loop down one side of the garden hung from the concrete garden posts, on 8 inchx6ft wooden planks ,of approx 45ft of running track, going through and around shrubs and apple trees. It started out as proof of concept, just an out and back, but has been expanded as i got more daring. Its currently DC control through a late 60's clipper dual controller (which is working faultlessly), and 1 set of points to a small siding. Scenery etc has not been planned yet, as i may improve further both the look and running performance by laying new smoother planks etc, but for the time being it is adequate.

Running mainly diesel locos from the old set i.e. late 60/70's models (from when i was a kid), and looking to upgrade as funds make necessary.

May i take this opportunity to thank everyone on her whose posts i have read and spurned me on to do this, you efforts and posts are greatly appreciated.

rgds

cwrocs. chris.

Hi Chris

Pleased to hear that some of our mutterings have been of assistance to you and that you've taken the plunge yourself and begun an outdoor layout. Starting small and expanding as and when is a good idea - it's always better to get something running as quickly as possible and of course, we have to take advantage of any decent weather we get when we can. I'm now on my second layout so I don't feel such a strong urge to get things running but hopefully, later this year, there'll be some movements on Worsley Dale too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of where you're at right now.

Right on Chris! Really glad to have you start posting about your layout.

I would say that doing a garden railway is not about having the most perfect magazine article ready layout, It's about actually having a layout to run trains on. If you ever feel you aren't doing it well enough go look at some of my images. Some of my layout looks very very good until you look closely, then you see the all the little fiddled together parts, but who cares. Besides if you just squint a little bit, it really shows off the details to best effect. :lol:

Can't wait to see the pics you'll be posting.

Well the saga continues, I have taken more snaps and video but having difficulty gtting them uploaded to the forum, however, we have had a week or so of good weather so been having a play about with trains etc and found that some Co-Co diesel's Type 37 dont like some curves etc, looking at the articulation of the bogies it would appear they do turn as much as needed so will need to sort that one out.

i have added a second set of points, so i can run trains on and off as needed at both end of the loop, after soldering all the joints, track lengths 3ft, still getting some poor electrical contact so that needs resolving also.

I have also found that 30yr old locos even after an overhaul, still do not perform very well, so looking at updating the motors and wheels on my diesels. Not go round to the steamers yet but should imagine the front bogies will not like the curves also.

Other than that really enjoying messing with the trains again. Think the railway will be called the "Ridge Crescent Railway" or the "RCR"

Quick question though - does anybody know how to get a diesel sound for the diesel trains, running on a DC supply (NOT DCC)?

(just found out MP4 not a recognised format, so will have to convert video!!.

rgds

chris

Several of the DCC sound decoders can be set to be DC compatible and will provide basic sounds but not of course whistle or horns unless they are set to operate at random. They need setting for DC compatibility with a DCC controller which a good shop should have.

They will start off more slowly for a given setting, than a pure DC loco as there is a delay while the decoder works out that the input is not DCC.

I am not sure whether the new cheaper sound fitted Hornby TTS and Bachmann Soundtrax locos are DC compatible. I have a feeling that I have read that one or both actually are.

• 7 months later...

Hi all Aologies its been a while in posting. Well whats been going on with the railway. i have sourced sound and now have blue tooth speakers under the track boards around the garden and can choose through the laptop which sounds to play depending on which loco is being used. The loop is complete from the conservatory down one side of the garden on tressles attached to the fence posts, around and through an apple tree and cherry tree and back to the conservatory.

No for the bad bit, unfortunately with my enthusiasm to get a running layout working, some of underlying base planks have not survived the winter fully, so some civil engineering is planed for the next few weekends given decent weather, and all should be back up and running for spring / summer.

A side note thought we were running weather permitting upto November 2014.

So back to the drawing board for the tracking laying around the apple tree, i must admit though it did look dodgy so not surprising really. will get some new photos done in a lower quality etc to enable upload to the site.

rgds

chris

Hi Chris good to see you back on the forum, don't worry to much a lot of us are having the same issue with timber warping or rotting due to harsh climate ,I am from OZ and another member from OZ he pulled his layout down, we have very hot and humid summers, a few days of summer left , next week is in the low 30's c

My layout is modular even when it ventures outside into the garden, I have decided to cut my layout back in stage one and redesign the whole layout without the Tehachapi loop in it, going back to the Feather river route theme, here is a link to bridge I will be building, will be ground level.

http://highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=West_Branch_Feather_River_Bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be looking forward to seeing some pics of your layout, what part of the world do you live

Happy Modelling Tony .

It seems we all go through that initial enthusiasm. I've done it on both indoor and outdoor layouts. I neglected hard won advice from other modelers and created ticking time bomb disasters for myself. Live and learn.

Besides, the time spent running until things went bad was well worth it. But you are definitely not alone in your misdirected efforts, my layout has been fallow for far too long now due to a need for a rebuild here and there.

And then there is the other side of the coin. Sometimes doing things differently leads to innovation and we all end up changing our build style to match yours. So one never knows.

CWROCS said:

...No for the bad bit, unfortunately with my enthusiasm to get a running layout working, some of underlying base planks have not survived the winter fully, so some civil engineering is planed for the next few weekends given decent weather, and all should be back up and running for spring / summer...

There's always going to be some kind of maintenance required with an outdoor layout - especially in the scale we adopt on this forum - and through the winter time is when the majority of the damage is done. My own part-finished layout hasn't been powered up since 2014 but at the last attempt I experienced a short circuit and haven't had time to investigate yet. I also have one short section of trackbed where the roofing felt has rippled and that will need sorting too before trains can run. My base timber appears to have stood up pretty well so far, even where it's in close proximity to the ground, but I'm beginning to think that some kind of masonry base would be the preferred option for a more permanent ground level structure. The track over my viaducts, for instance, has been no problem whatsoever and I'm sure a similar base for the remainder of the layout would cause far fewer problems all round.

I always say that maintenance is an enjoyable part of an outdoor layout. At least it's something we should all expect to have to carry out. But don't be dismayed - Spring is almost here and that's always a good time to begin.

i have sourced sound and now have blue tooth speakers under the track boards around the garden

That's something I've been experimenting with lately, I bought a couple of cheap bluetooth shower speakers, results are encouraging.

Well all new planking/deckboards purchased and trimmed to size, curves marked out on large stuck together newspaper and planks cut to desired curves (36 -40 inch diameter) curves round the apple trees and station buildings creating the loop. Was thinking of designing an incline over the straight section where trains would run atop of each other rather than single track side by side.

However weather not helping much in Sunny/Rainy/Snowing Manchester. But the garden is south westerly facing so should dry out pretty soon. Since the shrubs are much lower at present might even look at extending the layout a few feet.

Heres hoping for a few nice weekend to come.

rgds

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Well back again and with a bit of sun time to get on with re-modelling the railway. The railway is going to be called The Ridge Railway (due to it being mounted on shelf brackets on the fence posts). Its not big but neither is it small, Around 18-22ft in board length, single track in a dog bone configuration, but is "L" shaped..

I have added some photos of the preliminary stages and nothing is fixed yet. Decking is 8ftx6"x1". The two dog bone curves are cut for Hornby R607 curves. Line will be DC controlled as all engines are old +40yrs.

The Dog Bone return at the water but end i am going to make into a Viaduct type structure, although it does encroach onto the Steps for the conservatory, but thinking of making this into a covered section or tunnel, and the rest of the line will have garden trellis attached to the outer edge of the decking board (or thats the plan)

With it being single track i plan to put a siding in or two along the route . No Stations have been planned yet, although some might appear at the apple tree and cherry tree.

Its more proof on concept and the fact that i can do it, building etc will come later.

The Dog bone ends have been created by cutting the decking at 22.5 deg angles, with 17.5 inch and 14.5 inch segments. In last years attempt some trains could not get round the smaller curve, this yr its not going to be a problem.

Track is all second hand purchased from a local train shop at reasonable price and is all nickel silver.

Will thats the first weekend, lets see how we got on. more to follow.

Chris.

Additional - looks like photos are back to front best to start at the bottom and work up. Will correct for next time. LOL.

20150418_172235.jpg

20150418_172239.jpg

20150418_172242.jpg

20150418_172250.jpg

20150418_172256.jpg

20150419_113029.jpg

20150419_113032.jpg

A bit more work last night saw the first dog bone return be completed, for the water butt end of the line. I am amazed how well my geometry calculations have worked out for this just need to make the second one now for the return around the/nr the apple/cheery tree. some more photos attached.

Have also done some trimming on the shrub which the train will run through.

Giving more though to the 1st return and adding a viaduct to finish it off, i have come across grey speckled insulation foam at B&Q, which i think will do the trick once cut to size. This will go under the straight diagonal returning the track to the main down line from the dog bone. The underlying surface is soil and the planning approval officer wants to plan something in the centre of the dog bone.

Got to admit though it does not look level, but on closer inspection, 1. The garden has a slope from house to back, and 2 the garden fence is not straight either , so when looking at the base board against the fence and ground level it appear to have an incline (but the laser level says not) !!!!!!

Where the Dog bone return sits on the patio steps, i am going to cover this bit either as a tunnel or a cutting type affair not decided yet.

Now i am no model maker, but loved the air fix kits as a kid, I don't plan to festoon the layout with loads of back drop accessories, i just want to watch trains going round, Although I was planning at looking at sheeting with a landscape for behind the main run of line (similar to fish tanks although not a fishy backdrop) , thought perspex might do or something non degradable. What does everyone else use??.

For lighting again all notes being planned out i am going to use LED's passed through copper micro bore pipe and then placed into the base boards along the length of the line and solar power/batteries to light them at night.

The DC electrics are going to be Simple Bus powered with dropper form the lines, again through the base board.

Don't worry the hose pipe and water but will be made more aesthetically please once finished.

Just got to get round the apple tree now this will have to be on stilts/post sunk into the ground, again geometry need to work out the cutting angles and lengths etc.

Thats it for last night, more to follow.

cheers

chris

20150420_192036.jpg

20150420_191958.jpg

20150420_191956.jpg

20150419_113029.jpg

After a good sunday afternoon in the garden finally got the second dog bone made and fitted to the rest of the track base (photo to follow). Its looking good, or at least i think it is. Still looks not to be straight but three levels say it is. With the laser guide it is 1.5 cm over 549cm so i dont think its too bad. just the final fixing in place, and strengthening in places. And then should be ready for some track. I like the wood effect of deck board, so no felt , all the wood has been stained, and will coated in a semi matt finish varnish.

Just thought the grooves with drain holes might work okay, as decking is meant to be outside.

Now comes the question of fixing track, last time i used track pins and were difficult to get out. This time i am thinking of Hot Glue for the straights and pins for the curves as these will be flexi track, but not too sure, will see what occurs.

Thats it for now.

cheers