Ironhorse Rambles

Ironhorse

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone thought I would post some more info on my PVC Design. I wanted something I could hammer into the ground without cementing it into the ground, would be sturdy enough to hold the bench work in place in any kind weather and could be easily removed for whatever reason.

In a later post I will also show a surprising way I will deal with frost heave and how I keep the bench work on the level.

I decided on 8 foot sections of 1½ inch PVC pipe cut approximately 16 inch lengths and then cutting the end going into the ground into a point, I should mention that an electric miter chop saw is very handy when working with PVC.

On the other end I glue a coupling that will receive the above ground 1 ½ to 1inch PVC adaptor and the approximately 4 foot upright.

See pictures below for the concept

[album]2595[/album]

[album]2596[/album]

[album]2597[/album]

[album]2598[/album]

[album]2599[/album]

[album]2600[/album]

[album]2601[/album]

[album]2604[/album]

[album]2588[/album]

More to come. ;) I hope I don’t bore you guys with this since probably most of you have already seen these images in my gallery.

Hi Robert,

You sure are moving along nicely, wont be long before you are laying track and running your first train, what a great idea what you are going with your PVC piping in such away you can dismantle your layout pretty quickly and set it up again.

How did you go with hitting the PVC piping with the sledge hammer would damage to the top of the PVC pipe, does the same with steel piping, your soil mustn't be too hard them, over here in my yard tis that scrub black clay soil gets pretty hard and have to use a pick to dig a hole to plant plants, pretty hopeless when wet also sticks to your shoes.

My Flying Scot double tender project is at a stand still, have decided to buy a whole new special addition Flying Scotsman with the double tenders and modify the tender from the flying Scot I have, waiting for the seller to find out if he will post to Australia, fingers crossed as this train is new old stock, if not got an eye on another seller, this one is second hand and has a few marks on he tender.

No not at all I love the way you are building your layout.

Tony. ;):P

Hello everyone, below is photos of the parts and assembly of the 1 inch main leg upright that attaches to the coupling in the ground.

[album]2603[/album]

[album]2604[/album]

[album]2605[/album]

[album]2607[/album]

[album]2581[/album]

[album]2590[/album]

Next set of photos show the parts and assembly of the ¾ inch secondary leg upright that attaches to the main 1 inch upright.

[album]2613[/album]

[album]2614[/album]

[album]2615[/album]

Next Post I will show the most important part of my design concept ;)

How did you go with hitting the PVC piping with the sledge hammer would damage to the top of the PVC pipe, does the same with steel piping, your soil mustn't be too hard them, over here in my yard tis that scrub black clay soil gets pretty hard and have to use a pick to dig a hole to plant plants, pretty hopeless when wet also sticks to your shoes.

Tony my ground is somewhat sandy plus we have had a lot of rain of late and Probably the way the points in the PVC Pipe are cut are a big help, I am not hitting the pipe all that hard but I have had one coupling shatter while driving the pipe into the ground.

My Flying Scot double tender project is at a stand still, have decided to buy a whole new special addition Flying Scotsman with the double tenders and modify the tender from the flying Scot I have, waiting for the seller to find out if he will post to Australia, fingers crossed as this train is new old stock, if not got an eye on another seller, this one is second hand and has a few marks on he tender.

Sorry to hear the tender project is on hold but hey to get a Flying S the way you want, leaves more time to build on the layout :D

Okay guys drum roll. Here is a close up picture of one of the most important parts of my design concept.

[album]2605[/album][album]2606[/album]

I know I know you guys are groaning and there is a lot of :roll: about the clip, I call them snap clips because when you push them into place on the PVC pipe they make a snapping sound also the clips come in varies sizes to fit a variety of PVC pipe diameters I use 1inch and ¾ inch sizes. Now the good part, because the clips can slide up and down on the pipe while remaining firmly attached,the upper benchwork can be moved up or down easily so leveling is a breeze and if I should have a problem with frost heave again I can easily put the troubled area back in plum. Also I think I will be able to tilt the benchwork on the outside edge of curves to emulate super elevated track and we can also raise or lower bench work to accommodate over and under bench work. As the say a picture is worth a thousand words, please look at pictures below especially where the clips are to see how the upper benchwork is easily raised and lowered. I will get better pictures when I have more time.

[album]2589[/album][album]2634[/album][album]2621[/album][album]2620[/album]

I hope everyone doesn’t think I have gone completely LOCO :lol:

Great set of photos Robert. Really novel idea and gives us all something else to consider.

I'm not sure I've ever seen those snap clips before. Googling the bar code from your photo shows them as:

Description Lasko PVC Snap Tee

Size/Weight 1" x 1" x 3/4"

Will have to keep a look out for them.

Hi Robert,

Now I understand why you cut the PVC posts, to make it easier to hit into the ground with a sharp edge and having a sandy soil does make a difference, too , that black clay soil is hopeless have really work on it for any plants to grow well, drainage is an issue too.

Hopefully I will be the proud owner of another new Flying Scotsman, did well money wise for my birthday which is actually tomorrow, went out for lunch today instead, hope I am the only bidder too as the postage is pretty dear from England to Australia, got cut off limit if it goes of that wont continue bidding, trouble with eBay can sure go down to the wire, prefer buy now.

Maybe I should start my pic galley, will get around to it, took long enough to learn how to post pics and edit the post and add smilies, wish there more to chose from.

Will see how the weather is tomorrow to get back into my layout construction.

Look forward to seeing more pics, keep the good work up, Tony.

Hi Robert,

Yeah I won the special addition Flying Scotsman duel tenders and the train has been posted and on its way, bugger wont come in time for next Tuesday, will have to decide if I or leave it till next Saturday to go to my train club the loco would of arrived by then the seller said Thursday the 8th at the latest.

You can go to my post and see the link to the Flying Scot I bought pics to follow.

Also bought a Hornby maroon parcels and brake vans, that will give me a rake of 11 maroon cars, got a pic of the Flying Scot pulling a rake of 1 passengers, itching to load it on, this copy right thing is a pain , will have to find the link and add that instead like everyone else doing.

Will se if I can get outside and do some work on the spiral today, those cold days sure slows down the progress on the layout, be glad to see Spring arrive what season are you in now summer :D:):roll::lol:

Well everyone I didn't get very much done on the layout last weekend it was my weekend to work :| I am hopping to get a lot more done this coming weekend. I am almost tempted to lay some temporary track down and run some trains :) but no I will try and stick to my plan and get the benchwork done first,but man I am getting impatient to run trains,it has been a while.

Thanks for the description with the photos.

Lightweight, flexible and durable. It's a great system.

If you want to include the pictures in this thread rather than their thumbnail images then click the Img button above the text box to produce [img][/img]

DSCF3079.JPG[/b] from the gallery in-between the two tags.

img[/size]]http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=88&image_id=2607[/img]

and remember that the Preview button is your friend. I've used it countless times to get this posting how I want it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 09.42.09.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 09.40.53.png

587a487c89144_ScreenShot2014-06-25at09_42_09.png.ca49abe52d78d65e93fe24cfd1e0fdfe.png

587a487ca86dd_ScreenShot2014-06-25at09_40_53.png.1afdeb09d5b1352455f09785089e80dd.png

Chris do you have to have pics in the photo album for that to work, I use Upload attachment to get into my picture folder.

Hi Robert I am about to on eBay buy a roll of that Javis grass matt to finish off the Tehachapi loop tunnel module, been looking on the net on how to model dirt roads, there is a few around the loop, never done this before, something new, have you modelled dirt roads on you other layout. :?::?:

Tony

Pictures

I have got a few in the gallery, but for about the last year or so I have been using this https://imageshack.com/my/images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for all my pictures, not only on here but on other forums as well. It saves me having to repeat each time I want to use the same photo on other forums.

Imageshack does however cost, but for me personally it does exactly what I want and I'm happy with the small cost involved for a year.

Ian

If you want to include the pictures in this thread rather than their thumbnail images then click the Img button above the text box to produce

Chris thanks for the info, I will try that next time. It may take me few tries to catch on how to do it, I am not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computer stuff ;)