Ironhorse Rambles

Ironhorse

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony your right it looks like 3801s design queue came from the N&W class Js and the streamlined Ks. I would love to have one of those Eureka 3801s but the $600.00 price tag is little outside my budget and I can't imagine the conversation with the wife if I would even bring it up. :roll: I checked out some images on those Mark 1 coaches they are pretty sharp. That 2nd powered tender how are you going to power it?

Robert AKA Ironhorse

PS Yes it is PVC

Thanks for looking Chris, I will try and give a more detailed explanation of why I went with my construction technique soon. It may look a little flimsy but it has gone through several high wind storms with hail unscathed.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Out and about with the GGR

w2a3.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

My 0 gauge stock set up on my driveway at the side of the house, behind the gates. This is a rare outing in all its entirety.

dsc02009um.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Ian

if you click on the image it will take you to my imageshack account and all the pictures can be viewed.

Hi Robert,

I am waiting for Ian Crockle to get back on the issue on how he did the wiring to make the second tender self contained to the other tender without running wires through.

I like those J class locos, Bachman has bought out a good HO scale model of one.

Yes this hobby sure can be fun aright and take up a lot of time on the forum, which I enjoy reading what everyone else is up to on their layouts.

Keep the good work up on your layout and the way you have you posted your pics on the forum, I should get around to doing the same.

Tony

Tony keep us posted on the tender project and yes Bachman's is a nice one I will probably end up with one in the future. I am off work this weekend so I am in hopes to get a lot accomplished as they say will see. I will try to take photos of progress.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Ian/grockle you have a lot of cool interests looking at your photos made me feel like a kid in a candy store. What make and model of car are you restoring, restoring old cars happens to be another of my passions. For me it is so many interest so little time and money. :mrgreen:

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Robert,

Old cars indeed. They are or have been all daily drives. The Mazda 626 Estate however is now destined to be Banger raced as the auto box has given up the ghost. The MK3 Ford Fiesta 1.1L is my daughters first car. The caravan a Sprite Alpine CI is also going the same was as the Mazda as I've got a Bailey Pageant comming my way to replace it. I am also trying to negotiate the purchase of a Bedford CF camper van but at present no joy.

Finding where I've stored my twin tendered Scotsman is giving me a headache. I know its in the caravan somewhere in a small red briefcase, but can I find it, can I hell. Another search in a different place will hopefully find it.

Ian

Hi Robert,

How is the progress going on your layout, I just checked the time and it is last afternoon on Sunday over there, what time does the sun set, over here in winter about 5.30 and is dark soon after 6pm, summer it is still light at 6.30pm.

Western Australia it's still light at 9pm at night, sure could get a lot of work done on a layout.

Had a cold weekend and very cold this morning 3 degrees when I got out of bed, not cold enough for Jack Frost to pay us a visit, no progress on my layout, might see what it is like tomorrow, change coming in be a warmer weekend coming up, bugger no work on the layout Saturday is out and my family is taking me out for my birthday on Sunday.

Ian has said he has located his Flying Scotsman and will be posting some pics soon on the tender.

Hello everyone, I uploaded into my gallery 18 new images of my progress over the weekend, not as much as I would like but hey it never is. Below are some images from the gallery. I had fun with storms and high winds but I still manage some progress.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

[album]2651[/album]

[album]2645[/album]

[album]2656[/album]

[album]2652[/album]

Tony progress was okay but I wish it was more I can't wait to run trains. I hope you had a fantastic birthday.:D The Picture of Ian's Scotsman is sweet can'wait to see more on the tender conversion.

Take Care

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Hello all I wanted to get into the reason I chose PVC over other build material.

1. I wanted a material that was easy to work with

2. Easy to repair

3. U.V. Stability

4. Easy to make changes to

5. A layout that was easy to disassemble and move if something unexpected happens.

6. Something that can survive Kansas’s crazy ever changing weather, we have a saying around here that if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes, it will change!! :roll:

When I saw this youTube video of Ron Karllson

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; O/Ho Scale outdoors, plus finding this forum it all sort of click into place for me.

Next time I will post more info on my design.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Hi Robert,

You have done well going to beat me to running the first train on the layout, do you have a track plan, can't wait to see your first train running.

So the construction is going to be slow going at the moment winter is here , had 1 degrees early this morning, hopping to get into doing some work on the layout Thursday and Friday.

My birthday is this Monday 23rd and family is taking me out for my birthday this Sunday.

Got on eBay watch a couple of Flying Scotsman with the two tenders very tempted in buying one, hard to get item on a separate water tender, will still do the same as Ian has with his having the water tender powered, going to busy the next couple of day wiring the second tender I have ready to take to my train club either next Tuesday or the week after.

That you tube video clip was awesome, is that where you got the idea in building your layout, great idea haven't seen that PVC stuff over here would be expensive to buy I have seen soe modules have used the small PVC round tubing as a base for the track.

Have managed to change my layout name from Camdle to Camdale which should of being didn't realise I spelt the name wrong, with Mick help I was able to change it, WOW.

Tony

Nice video, and it even has a little bit of HO scale track! Everyone seems to have a garden railway that gets them thinking about doing one of their own. For me there were two video's that got me thinking.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am off to look at your progress shots. :)

----------------------------

I gotta say that your building style is really inventive. It seems that since it isn't completely rigid and at the same time easy to repair, that you've come up with a really clean design that should do really well in your climate. The water resistant PVC pipes mean zero rot issues as well. My brain is exploding with ideas, but sadly I am already into the post benchwork state of it all. But who knows... I may drive down an alley in the next week and someone will have throw away a pile of scrap pipe.

Tony I have a track plan in my head :) As far as the youTube video that is where I got the Idea to use square and flat stock of PVC material for the bench work and then using my own modifications like using foam board for the top. I keep forgetting its winter on your side of the world, we are having 90 degree weather and it is the very beginning of summer. How was the birthday? Let us know if you win the Scotsman on evilbay. I would not have known the difference in spelling Camdle to Camdale unless you said something, of course spelling has never been one of my strong points.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Hi traingeekboy, man that Grumpy Grandads video was awesome. As far as Jules, it was his video’s that inspired me to finally take the plunge and go outside with HO/OO scale. :D The verdict is still out if my ideas of using PVC is going to last in the long run, let’s just see how it does throughout the year.

As far as your bench work goes it has lasted in the long run and works great as it is and your running trains so far I can’t say that. ;)

Take Care

Robert AKA Ironhorse