The Kempton Line

Richykay

High Richy,

The way you have placed the lights in all the building is pure awesome , what caught my eye was the petrol station, now I will have to put one in some where, like the camp site as well, be nice to see some trains running, well done keep the good work up and down the track a video clip.

I just posted a couple of video clips of my newest trains on my post.

Tony from down under.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

incredibly frustrated with garden railwsys today!.... so many variations that derail everything. one minute everything's fine then its all off again. hard to get leveks right, corners, track, joints all too much today!

incredibly frustrated with garden railwsys today!....

I've been there, and I would guess that most people on here have been there too, but don't let it get you down. Take a look back over what you've already done, at all those wonderful lighting effects you've installed. It's only a few plastic sleepers and a couple of lengths of rail that's causing you problems and nothing that can't be easily sorted out.

Think of your layout as a real railway. If there's a problem at a particular spot on the line then, just like the full-size network, it'll need some level of maintenance or remedial action. Derailments are frustrating but I've found that maintenance can often be an enjoyable task and brings a sense of achievement when you've completed it successfully.

I started out with my first layout expecting things to be easy. I hadn't taken into account the effect that my first attempts at track laying would have on my trains and I got frustrated by frequent derailments. I soon learned that track had to be level, not just along it's length but also across the two rails. Curves had to be laid smooth and the larger the radius the better. I was soon taking up sections of track, levelling the baseboards, and relaying. I even started doing it on sections where I wasn't experiencing problems but where I could see that the stock was being thrown about because the track wasn't level or in line. I got down at eye level with the track looking along the straights for any kinks, making sure it was as good as could be.

I'm now into my second garden railway and I've still made some silly mistakes but I'm in no hurry to sort everything out. It's all part of the enjoyment of an outdoor layout. I'm sure it won't be too long before I have to redo the whole section at ground level between the two viaducts but when that time comes I'll be doing it one bit at a time - just like the weekend ballast workings on a real railway - and trying to keep a 'service' running in between times.

Don't overlook the fact that it can often be no more than a particular type of coupling causing derailments but it is more likely than not a misalignment of your track. It's something you can easily remedy - one step at a time.

Keep your chin up!

incredibly frustrated with garden railwsys today!.... so many variations that derail everything. one minute everything's fine then its all off again. hard to get leveks right, corners, track, joints all too much today!

One thing I've learnt the slow and hard way is that sometimes it's not the track its the trains.

Wheels that don't turn freely,Bogies that will rotate for a left turn, but not for a right.

Direction of travel. Turn a locomotive round and it runs over the same bit of track and doesn't derail.

Couplings can cause a derailment, still not sure how, but they do.

Last year it took me several hours to get my intermodal container train looping round Amblethopre. After attention to wheels, bogies, couplings, adding some weights and careful ordering of the wagons it be came a surprisingly reliable runner and I didn't make any changes to the track.

It took another hour to get it running again this year after wintering in the shed.

• 1 year later...

I realise I have gone rather quite on here since my last post. I didn't throw in the towel but have been working on the railway as and when I get a chance. Will post some pictures later, but the good news is that trains run fairly well now, although at certain speeds and only in one direction, they don't like going the other way around!

Edited by Richykay

Hi Richkay, great to see you back and looking forward seeing more pics, glad you didn't though the towel in like me I am still pushing on getting closer,

Strange that the trains only running the one way around the layout, usually locos will do that , might be an idea to check your bus wiring as well, do you have one of those  multi metres may help as well.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ricky, nice lot of night pics  you have done well with the light affects, I like the wedding scene, any chances of  more pics of the church, as I want to do the same on my layout with a church scene.

I am modelling Sydney Central station building and want to light it up as well, pretty big task even with my cut down version the station building at night is stunning the way they set the  spot lights to shin on the side of the building.

I have track down on all 5 front modules and could run a loco, need to have a couple approach modules so I can test the loco through all the points, the fifth module I am working on has 11 points one double slip cross over and a three way point.so I can access 6 platform tracks

Keep the pics flowing

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Edited by aussietmrail

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since my last post and a lot has happened including having a son. So the railway has been on the back burner, the winter took it's toll on a lot of the railway but managed to spend some time on it over the weekend, including installing this little pub I was brought at Christmas...

IMG-20180407-WA0006.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Started operation rebuild after alot of neglect. I'm lifting each section up higher and rewiring alot of it, as it no longer works... here is the first bit done, with some cars needing to be added.

20190404_105739.jpg

Edited by Richykay
  • Like 1

Hi Ricky, congrats on your son being born , family comes first, wow love your light display, I am jealous, my layout is on the back burner for a short while, we could be moving to the side side , if the unit is as good as they say it is and there is car cover, may not be able to take it with me. Camdale will be reborn and the unit is on the ground and at the end with two balconies, not as big, hope the new club will take the layout and me be in charge of it.

Keep the great work up fantastic to see a train running as well,enjoyed the video clip.

Tony from down under

• 1 year later...