The Kempton Line

Richykay

• 1 month later...

Well sadly it looks my choice of bell wire was a mistake. In this cold weather the exposed cooper easily breaks so have a lot of lights not working. Managed to get some going temporary this afternoon, but too cold to play for too long may have to wait for a proper fix in the spring....

Hi Ricky, looks pretty good, didn't know the cold affected the copper wire, is the wire one solid cable. I like the way you have hidden the wires on the cars street lights and building, great work, do you get snow at all.

It's been pretty hot my end of the word and had bad storms every few days, may get some work done on my layout after Christmas, see what boxing day is like, do you have boxing day too.

Merry Christmas, Tony.

Hi tony,

The cable I'm having issues with is a single strand, I think it's a mixture of the cold and damp which is a problem.

Yes we often have snow, but usually jan / February sort of time, can't remember if we had any this year...

Yep we get Boxing Day as well, so a couple of days off.

hi Ricky, we have issues with the heat over here, gets very hot, 48c degrees in the sun has metes the solar panel of the weather station and most probable melt the solder on the feeder wire soldered to the rails , one reason my layout is modular for, taking a lot longer to build, jump leave the posts in the ground.

That's a bugger then won't have a white Christmas then, at least we will have a green Christmas with the grass nice and green from all the rain we have had same with the plants in flower putting on a good show, will take a pic later of the plants and yard

• 1 month later...

Well there was two fairly sunny days this week so made it out for some work on the line, first was to sort out the small terraced town. I have added a paving block under the bricks to provide a firmer base, it was moving around to much before.

Have also rearranged the town so there can be two blocks, which you can see in the picture.

Also added a cottage next to the windmill that a friend brought me for Christmas.

Sadly the cold weather had some serious effect on the wire between the buildings in the other village area. I used bell wire which was not strong enough and has broken too many times, as It was laid under the bricks I will have to do something different to get power now to the buildings as I have run out of movement on the existing cable to re terminated. I'm hoping some black flex will look okay if I tack it close to the wall, but think I need some warmer weather before I start that, got caught in a hail storm this afternoon.

Anyway still alive and working on the railway, looking forward to the spring!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg.b22e32b20fc18fae641a9e5df3828682.jpg

image.jpg.f7e29dfc921724a4267e8cabf4817795.jpg

image.jpg.d4b3f2498336358a4440b3f2e35e229d.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hi Ricky, pure awesome, Like the way you have placed the second building close to that small plant, looks so real and I have noticed you have double track now, any change of posting bigger pics.

'

We had a sparky out replacing a ceiling fan last week and I was speaking to him about the problems you are having the freezing weather causing the single cable breaking , he said quite common, that single cable wire is used for data wires, happens over here on very cold nights.

How big is your layout, do you have a track plan.

Happy modelling Tony.

• 2 months later...

So I have been doing some new work on the railway recently, a lot of it repairing some of the previous work. Some of the wires had become brittle and broke so needed rewiring, which is done. I will post some new pictures on here soon of what has been done and the next steps. In the mean time I had to clear my phone of my photos, so will post them on here, these are some old shots of the railway from the beginning and some I have already posted on here.

• 1 month later...

Well i haven't posted on here for a while but i have still been working on the railway, hence some new photos. I have changed the industrial area, which i think looks better. And added a petrol station and two new buildings which i received for my birthday. The wires sticking out are waiting for a delivery of new cars which will be added later.