The Kempton Line

Richykay

Hi Ricky, love the way you are building your outdoor layout, you sure are lucky to have a flat back yard in the UK, I am not so lucky where live I in QLD Australia, rises up too steep, stuck to around the sides and back of the house, even still need a spiral to get up to the carport as the pergola isn't all flat either at the side of the house, a big challenge the fun in building garden railways.

Like the lighting too, can you switch the lights off in the houses, with the streets lights still on, awesome.

Be interesting how you are going to fasten the track to the pavers, what's the plans for your layout going around the whole back yard, keep the pics coming.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some trains running around the new circuit so pleased that I could do that, very helpful that summer is holding on..... Still need to replace track at the village end of the line, but that is more involved. What to re fix the street lights in a new place as well, so need to think about that.... This side of winter or the other?.....

Hi Ricky, good feeling to see the trains running round on your layout for the first time , awesome feeling, are they screws you are using to hold the track in place, was wondering how you planned to hold the track to the pavers, good job

How big is your layout measurement wise, good idea having the yard in your shed, half my layout will be in under the pergola, keep the good work up and pic flowing.

Make the most of the warm days before your winter comes in, do you get snow in where you live, it is coming into my summer in Australia , got to make the most of the nice few months before the heat hits, 48c degrees was the hottest day we had in February, no work done out side , in the nice cool lounge room , 28 degrees with the air-con going.

Tony.

Hi tony,

Yes the track is screwed down, it wasn't before as just used tacks between the bricks this is a lot firmer and makes cleaning easier as it moved around to much last time.

Not sure on measurement, good question will have to get the tape measure out soon...

Hi Richy, looking good the pic you took of your layout, as I said it is nice to have a level yard helps and it's amazing what railway signs you can pick up at those country shows, we have flee markets over here, can pick up some bargains and if lucky model trains have been sold at them .

I picked up a model of the Mayflower sailing ship for $10 ,grabbed it straight away, must go and check the flee market out again, who knows might see some model trains going for a song.

Many years back I picked up a box of trains from a Lifeline shop, had two sets of Lima XPT's same design as your 125 Intercity push pull trains, all I had to do was buy more coaches and now have a full set, but the XPT between Brisbane has 5 coaches, from Sydney to Melbourne may have more. Amazing the older train sets can be for years, did well had track which I sold and three trannies, two I sold also, got my money back, $40, had other kits, platforms as well which I gave to a train club .

Be good to see some video of you running your trains , keep the pics coming, my trains wont be running for a long while yet.

Tony

Not so much railway work, but took the chance to add a new planting bed into the garden this afternoon. Many because the grass has never grown too well on this side of the garden due to the shade of the garage. Think the conifers look good, will put a better edging in at a later point, and stones to cut down on the weeds. Also took the chance to move some of the soil to re level the lawn, as there was a large dip, hope it all recovers soon.

Certainly think the church looks better with some foliage in the background!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg.e2008118f496098091724ba8b7050c00.jpg

image.jpg.c98eb77b608e046bbf7de39072dfdf59.jpg

image.jpg.cf51650eecad336ee48136cd22fd1a00.jpg

Hi Richy, yeah that is the trouble with grass and too much shade, best to fill in the bare areas with garden where plants will grow in the shade, have the same issues in my back and front yard, on grass but weed because of the neighbours fence and trees and same on the back fence no grass but dirt, took quite a few years to do all the gardens, pics to follow. a shame the back yard is so steep I would of done the same with the garden railway run the track on the fence line.

I like the idea of you saying about the plant being a backdrop to your church, is that church the Atlas kit, wold like one myself with bell chimes too, also like the windmill in distance does the wooden blades turn in the wind.

Starting to warm up my end of the world so much for spring weather, going ring into summer, 30 degrees today and 35 on Wednesday , better be a cooler weekend as I want to finish off the Tehachapi loop tunnel module, in between back into my second hobby woodturning making pens .

Tony

Hi tony, both the windmill and the church are skaledale from the hornby range. Sadly the blades don't turn, was hoping to be able to attach a motor but the mould of the windmill is completely solid so can't put lights in it either!

• 1 month later...

I've been rather quite on here for a while, due to a rather busy season at work. However I had this afternoon off and so spent some time working on the railway, moved some street lights and added some new cars, got too cold to finish so hopefully will be out again tomorrow. Will try and get some pictures up as well....

Hi Ricky, be looking forward to seeing more pics, yes always something hold you back for the hobby, work comes first, the summer is early on my side of the world, not much of a spring at all and not much rain either.

My layout is on hold unless we get a couple of 25 degree days, Wednesday is pleasant but I have a doctors appointment, heating up again to the big one on Saturday peaking 40 degrees, good excuse to catch up on the hobby projects, have started , have started a new project wind turbine blade train and other parts of the wind turbine shipped by rail.

Have build one blade already, not long enough for the spine cars I am using, will be building 20inch blades to 49metre blades on the real thing, some pics on my post.

Is it starting to cool down over your side of the world.

Tony.

Hi tony,

Yes been following your posts and the blades are looking impressive well done! Yes it us now turning rather cold here, we had a good extended mild patch for most of October which has now come to an end. Still want to do a couple of bits before winter really sets in!