The Kempton Line

Richykay

Hi mick,

It's richard, luckily I had some foresight and added some cables in when I lauded the bricks done, bringing a leg up where I wanted a building, however I have added some in since and pushed the cable between the bricks and down the back. The lights are wired aback to a lighting transformer, I will try and get some pictures up later....

Sadly I never discovered this forum before starting as I may have done it differently, though I did have a number of bricks to get rid of, so used them as the base.... I wonder if I would have done it the same again, if I could start again?

Hi Richard

I think we could all say we might have done things differently had we "known then what we know now". In my experience of a garden railway it's important to use materials that will withstand the weather and if they can do that without the need of further protection then so much the better. I've had pretty good results so far (fingers tightly crossed) with the plywood base and roofing felt but on my current build section I am trying to omit the wood from the list of ingredients and lay the track directly onto the aerated stone blocks with just a narrow strip of roofing felt glued to the blocks first.

I think it all depends on what you want to achieve. If you're just content with running trains, as many people are, then you don't need anything fancy or over-complicated. A firm weatherproof base is all you need and in my opinion there's nothing better than bricks/stone for that. I wanted my layout to be part of the garden, to be able to take photographs that resemble the real thing (probably one of the 'perfectionists' referred to in another unconnected post), although I know there's got to be some compromises. My layout is also pretty permanent and whoever moves in here after we are gone will either have to love garden railways or be prepared for some remedial work!

What I can say is the forum welcomes one and all no matter what standard they aspire to. It doesn't matter what type of layout they have, what level their abilities or great their financial means. It should be something we can all enjoy.

What I can say is the forum welcomes one and all no matter what standard they aspire to. It doesn't matter what type of layout they have, what level their abilities or great their financial means. It should be something we can all enjoy.

Hear hear!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the kind words, the track will follow much the same route, but thinking of double tracking it into the garage and moving one of the sidings. Where I have the passing loop at the moment doesn't look too good when I look out of my kitchen window, It's not that appealing to the eye, so thinking I might move it, whether that is this side of Christmas or not is the bit to think about.

Again thanks for the comments, I enjoy the model village side of it more than the trains to be honest!