Loco lighting

Richykay

Afternoon all...

I'm new to this garden railway stuff, but the thing that most interests me is the lighting side of things. I now have a number of skaledale buildings that I have lit up and have recently purchased the train tech coach lighting. However I'm after an illuminated loco, I'm running on dc and would prefer to stay away from the digital stuff. Any pointers would be good. I have currently stuck a couple of lamps in an old Lima loco to light up the cabin, but not too happy with my effort. Would prefer to buy a loco ready to go....

Thanks

Richard

Hi chris, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I wanted to stay away from digital for two reasons, the cost.... I seem to have spent a fortune at the moment! And the fact my railway is really just a single loop of track around my garden, and likely to stay that way...

So I was hoping to find a solution to loco lighting within DC

Richard,

Interesting to read you have just bought some of the Train Tech lighting - which have you gone for - the kits or the ready to install light bars?

Not being confident or competent enough to make up the kits, I recently tried one of the light bars, but was a little disappointed with it. I found that it was a bit short for BR mk1 coaches and there was really only enough lights if you use it in open stock - use it in a compartment vehicle and you dont end up with all the compartments lit. I am going to try the Rapido Trains Easy Peasy light bar next, see if that is any better - and its cheaper!!

Iain

Hi Iain,

I got the train tech bars with the automatic sensor that senses movement, I found them great, but your right, I used them in compartment carriages so it doesn't light up each part, I placed them in a place that would illuminate the most, and happy it doesn't light them all as it still looks good. I liked the idea of them since seeing them at the show at Alexandra palace. I will investigate the others you mentioned.

Yes it's just a single loop, I do have one passing point, the idea of running two trains does appeal, very hard to do that on dc, as one always catches up with the other!

Do these lighting bars have terminals on the end which allow you can add more lights? I've come across some that do.

If so you could add and extra LED or two in the compartments without lights. Nano lights are fiddly to work with, but you do get used to them.

I think they do off the top of my head, as they sell tail lights to add in and a spark light for electric trains, but I think you can only add one of these to each strip.

There website is good at explaining the item, well worth a look I'm happy with them.