GWR Uxbridge High Street Branch

ed125

Yeah it is croagated but not on the model I might re do the roof. Im going to fit the hst with motors at both ends as it runs much smoother and any gradients can be taken at slow speeds. I might use the hst's build design on the other trains. Lipo batteries (size dependant on available space) speed controller rc reciever and twin motors.

I have not been on the forum much in recent months so catching up on developments and new layouts. Yours got my attention immediately as I grew up in North Hillingdon and spent a lot of time in Uxbridge. Your replica if the station looks great and all the pics give a great feel of what you have completed so far. I'll keep dropping in, looking forward to see how everything develops!

Hi ed125, I think it is a the way to go with having two ends motorised on your HST train, I have done that with my Lima version of Australia's NSW's Intercity XPT modelled on your HST,I have a 7 car set I run most of the time on my clubs layout, only thing you got to be careful of if the front loco derails the back loco will keep on running, makes a big difference on grades.

Are you going to have a passing loop in between the shed and main station, like the ay you are going through the garden with the track.

I thought of using battery power too with the new locos coming out there is no room, a way to go is fit the batteries in the coaches or wagons, my layout is at a stand still winter over my side of the world, been pretty cold, hopefully with this change coming through that will be the end of the cold mornings, my post is called Camdale layout.

This is the Lima version I have but in a 7 car set powered both ends and a pic of NSW's the real XPT in candy colour scheme.

You will see the difference as the is cab lights, I am thinking of doing that to my two XPT's, the coaches are different also to the HST's and not as long.

That is a great idea what you did with using steel brackets coming of the edge of the fish pond for the bridge piers to sit on, magic stuff.

Tony

$_57.jpg

XPT%20Aug%201981%20%20%20002.jpg

587a4881d4a46__57.jpg.c0ce5c555d53d117fb3023af79f97d08.jpg

587a4881ee13e_XPT20Aug201981202020002.jpg.d43c8a6c7e1bb472ac1e88429994b89f.jpg

Love the XPT model have seen one on ebay for £300! I have taken the motor out one of the hst ends at the moment as it was faulty, nothing worse than a stalled motor in transit it caused a huge derailment it took me a while to work out it was the motor and not the track at fault. One motor happily pulls three trailers so will leave that. I was going to use one control carriage on different trains however I have noticed that every train has its own temperaments i.e coupling and motor strengths so will convert each train individually from now on. The class 365 I was originally converting will need a much lighter battery installed and possibly a second motor.

At present I will not be installing a passing loop, previous experience was bad with outdoor points so will keep it as simple as possible this time.

Hi ed125, yeah I have been lucky with this Lima XPT set as I bought it from a lifeline shop for a bargain, had two sets in a box with other stuff for $40, and still runs well today, all I did was buy more coaches.

Here is a you tube link to the latest XPT country link colour scheme.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of UK modellers use Peco points for on their garden railway with no issues, most of the points on my layout will be in under the pergola and only a couple outside, in time you may decide to have a passing loop.

Those candy XPT sets are hard to come by in Lima, may be why it was so dear o eBay.

Tony

I need to get out to some more boot sales I think, maybe I could find a bargin. I will have 1 HST running with GNER livery and by next week my class 91 225 both with there own batteries, receivers and speed controllers.

My next project I want to work on is my Shinkansen 0 class bullet train, this was my first ever train given to me by my late grandad back in 1985 though now after many years in the loft is in a bad way and there is alot of digging around needed to find all the parts that have fallen off. Its not an easy one to find part for online it almost works out better to buy one on ebay. In all I have about 7 trains that will need converting to RC.

I hadn't realized your railway was a point to point arrangement. How long does it take your train to traverse the whole line one way?

Will you be adding any goods trains or are you mostly focused on passenger trains? I rarely buy goods wagons for my railway as I just like passenger cars. ;)

I dont know how long it takes next time I am round I will time it. I am mainly focused on modern passenger trains but have some old freight wagans and a green diesel loco not sure what class it is.

• 2 weeks later...