Bachmann Price Increases 2014

mick

You may have already read elsewhere that for commercial reasons Bachmann have deemed it necessary to implement price rises - in a few cases quite substantial ones. You may also, like me, have received an e-mail newsletter from Hattons this evening detailing some of those price increases and giving customers the opportunity to place pre-orders at current prices before the scheduled price increases come into effect. I've just had a quick look through the Hattons newsletter and picked up on a few items that are worth bringing to your attention should you have been considering any of these.

Hattons' currently list the forthcoming LMS Porthole coaches at £24 each. The new price will be £33.96.

There are 2 class 37 diesel loco's listed at the current price of £83.90. The new price will be £97.71.

There are several version of BR Brake vans currently being listed at £9.86 and £10.63 depending on version/livery. The new prices for these will be £16.96 and £17.81. Ouch!

Although the majority of price increases listed were in my view pretty reasonable, I was so surprised by the above examples that I went to take a look at the Bachmann website to see if there was anything else of note. I remember how good the Polybulk wagons looked on Iain's 'Hampton Garage Layout' but it appears they've now sold out almost everywhere. Not sure how much you paid for them Iain but I found one website with the advertised price of £29.95 (though out of stock). It would seem that another batch are to be released soon because Bachmann have them listed with a RRP of £54.95. Yes, that's for one wagon!

Has anyone else noticed any further examples of price hikes?

I have got to agree Mick, when I looked at the Hattons email, the price rise percentages didnt seem to be very consistent across the range - odd really!

With regard to the Polybulks, they seemed to sell out everywhere very quickly. I saw some for sale at the recent Bristol show, for the bargain price of £24 each - :oops::x typically, I umd and arghd, went back to the stall 30 minutes later and they were gone! I would like to sell my 2 and get some in the other liveries (that were actually more accurate to my time period :ugeek: ) but am too frightened to do so, as I probably wont be able to get what I want at a reasonable price!!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems recent price increases aren't the sole reserve of Bachmann and are something we are going to have to expect in the future.

I've just noticed a Hornby coach that I quite fancy but something inside is telling me I can't justify just short of £50 for a single suburban type coach.

Is there not a danger that manufacturers are going to cut their own throats with this level of price increase? I certainly wont be buying too many new items of rolling stock in the near future, unless I can get them at a severely reduced price. However, the inevitable flip side of this could well be a price rise in the second hand market as everyone looks there :x You cant blasted well win!!

• 4 weeks later...

Model Rail's report on the the Bachmann price increase states that the more complex the model the greater the price increase. One example of complexity they mention is multiple units with wired interconnects. They costed out a blue and grey 'Midland Pullman' and at close to £600 they decided that it wouldn't sell, so its been shelved.

Yes, we all want to buy at bargain prices, but Bachmann make quality products and I'm happy to pay more for quality.