Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Thanks Mick, yeah still have a lot of work ahead to get the module to look close to in the pics of Tehachapi loop, here is the pic I got permission to post from the photographer on the forum all that weed growth to add to add on the top of both cutting, wont go that far as it is no good getting bogged down on one area of your layout, always come back later.

I like the 4x4 , will be out looking for one in HO scale,have asked the bloke is its his car and what brand of car it is,looks like a Toyota.

Be working on the track and scenery on the sides of the track leading into tunnel 9 this week, they are right about the hobby classed as art.

Griff do you know what those gray trees and plant growth are, isn't winter or is it going into Autumn where the trees lose their leaves, that must be a radio antenna on the tunnel mouth, like to find out what the sola panels with the electrical boxes are, why they made that road access for. Three is the same on the other side of tunnel nine a road been dug out I say for maintenance on the signals and that is only resent too, I have yet to work out how I am going to model the other cutting, check it out on Google earth.

Tony. :roll::roll::lol:

8414_1305489071.jpg  a.jpg

Just meet another bloke on FR forum, he lives in Brisbane and he in involved in the big stuff 1.1, apart of the construction of the new branch line from Petrie to Kiparing Brisbane, about time and continue onto Redcliffe.

Will have to ask him what scale he models , if anyone loves trams, here is a good link of the history of Brisbane trams, the last one ran in 1969, was sad to see them go, all to do with development and a lot of the streets when built for trams where they had them.

http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/search/label/trams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Robert, yeah tunnel 9 module is coming along nicely, going to go so far with the scenery and move onto the next section, don't want to get bogged down in one area, want to aim to get the trains running and then move back onto finishing the module off.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress pics also.

Tony.

Have finely found out from another US friend in Oregon, he said the boxes with the solar panels are flange oilers, I had a look on some other pics and the oil on the track before tunnel nine Tehachapi loop was a dead give away, looks like I will be adding more track ballast to add more realism to the scene.

here are two links with the pics of the flange oilers, pity I couldn't find anymore pics of the flange oilers at TL, if you go back to page 13 post 119 you will the solar panels in the two pics.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/rail/p5030006.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://coxy.squarespace.com/coxys-n-scale-and-railroad-bl/?currentPage=91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazing what is out there when you find the right words to search.

Hopping to get my wood lathe out to make some pens in wood and plastic, plastic is very nice when polished, my other hobby, intend to turn some modern fuel tanker shells as they are easy to model, the shell is the frame, just need the bogies and couplers magic stuff, pics to follow. :roll::roll::roll:

Full steam ahead, change of plans for today, ended up getting the mower out and mowed the grass, after that got stuck into working on the bottom track cutting before tunnel 9 TL, coming along nicely, bugger forgot to screw in one screw, next lot of pics I will sort that out and the brown grass matting will be in place

Coming along nicely, wont be back on the module till maybe Wednesday., woodturning tomorrow.

On the right side of the track where I have screwed in another piece of ply to widen for the excess road to the two flange oilers with the solar panels, the bottom deck with the track can slide in and out for storage in the garden shed, took a lot to work out, bus wiring will be hidden also.

Tony :roll::roll:8-):mrgreen::geek:

001 a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Here is pic without any copy right I found so hope it will be ok to post on the same pic I took on the last post of the latest update pics on Tehachapi loop tunnel 9 module on how this module will be like when finished, post 129 pic 3.

You just can make out the first flange oiler box, should look pretty good when finished the module will be a piece of art in its own right, slow going. :roll::roll::roll:

5663589868_92ae818a4d_o.jpg

That is a really cool shot. Much different than the usual boring shot of cab forward articulated locos pulling a huge train. :shock:

Uh, yeah... big boys with the cab on the front would be the most appropriate thing for this setting. ;)

As if your wallet isn't being ravaged enough by mallets.

sp4294.jpgsp4294.jpghttp://www.toytrains1.com/images/trains/sp4294.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Hi Griff, many thanks for the pic of cab forward steamy 4-8-8-4 some how UP didn't have these locos, going by the pics.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/cabforward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed that it looks like only Southern Pacific had the cab forward steam locos, huge loco.

My favourite steam loco is UP's FEF 4-8-4 , she has huge drive wheels, close to the Flying Scot 4472 British loco .

http://arizonanotebook.com/history-on-powerful-steel-wheels-cruises-the-southwest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the SP cab forward was a common scene on the Tehachapi loop, when I finely get my layout finished ready for running trains a couple of friends want to come over for a running day and they will be bringing their big boy and cab forward locos be a big event and will film them running too so I can post the video clips on the form, better get a move on.. :D:P:mrgreen:

TOny, it's interesting that the trackside device is a flange oiler. I found some pics of one here: http://coxy.squarespace.com/coxys-n-scale-and-railroad-bl/2007/6/24/new-flange-oiler-at-pinole.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thing is that mast seems to have trackside detectors and possibly a radio attached. I would suspect it could be a combo of things. But a drag detector may be more likely, but I have never been to Tehachapi so can't say for sure. But we do have them up at big ten and through thew rockies due to all the curves.

Some hot box detector images: http://www.alaskarails.org/route-map/cantwell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Griff, thanks for the links, I is a mazing when you find the right word to type in when surfing on the net is handy, the flange oiler was the missing key.

Now to find out what that antenna is on the front of the Tunnel 9 mouth of tunnel 9 Tehachapi loop, put is a search and came up with non-thing-

http://www.amerescosolar.com/solar-solutions-railway-industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another link to different solar panels operating signals, have a closer look and they are double end signals haven't come across them before, I scratch built a signal bridge with four working signals to work two sets of points. Did it such away I can unplug it off the other layout using a 15 way computer plug worked well will be using the signal bridge on the garden railway.

Tony.

I was looking at your photo again and realized that the thing that drew my eye was that mast right outside the tunnel entrance with what may be cameras aimed at the track and tunnel. But your little box is definitely a flange oiler.

file.php?id=2177

Did I drop this on here before? it's got some nice views of the tracks near the loop. http://markandkarry.com/tehachapi/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As to those cab forwards. There are a lot of tunnels on that route whereas UP is mostly flat open country. They needed to put the cabs up front in order to keep from smoking out the crews.

Hi Griff, thanks for the link a lot of good pics there did you notice the maintenance ute on the rails, Bachmann have them will have to get one not cheap at over $100.

And starting from the 11th pic and you can see where the maintenance ute is also a white shed above the cutting with the fence around it and also they have constructed a road now for excess to the point and signal's, I will have to take a pic of the signal bridge with scratch built working signals , more research pics needed.

If you have a look on Google earth Tehachapi loop tunnel nine farm side you will see what I am talking about.

The good thing is I can use it on the new layout, the base has a 15 way computer plug where all the wires are soldered into a matter of doing the same again to plug in the bridge, save money that way, working RTR signals are quite dear to buy.

Yeah that radio antenna has caught my eye too, not much info on it , same questions for a friend at my train club that has visited Tehachapi loop, he was there for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good constructive afternoon working on the low level track scenery cutting, I go by the length of the loco on shaping the cutting the right side is a length of a loco and the end of the bottom board where the road will start rising up is three and a half locos give and take, few inches, still heaps of work a head before it will look like the real tunnel 9 entrance.

I thought I would add one of the real pics of TL tunnel 9 to give everyone an idea on what I am achieving on the module tunnel, just about finished the first bag of plaster, need a second bag, rather buy the smaller bags.

This module is he only module that will have scenery on is, not sure how I will tackle the other side of the tunnel, a bit of work a head there and fit I model Tehachapi hill with the white cross on top, does anyone know why the cross is there for, was there a bad train derailment many years back. :?::?:

Didn't have a good day yesterday woodturning, have to get the technic in getting the wood chisels sharpened at the right angles as that is the key in especially turning plastic pens.

Tony :roll::roll: : ;)

005  a.jpg

006  a.jpg

005 a.jpg

Manages to do a bit more work to the lower track cutting on the right side, realised that I had the ply too high after studding the pic of TL, got stuck into the plaster with a chisel an unscrewed the top piece of ply, looks heaps better now.

Have decided to extend the ply on the module so I can plaster the whole hill will look much better also, will see how the plaster holds out if it cracks, being so much of it.

Looking forward to finely finishing that side of the module finished and then there's the other side, will leave that for a while and get stuck into finishing the decking of the layout so I can get a train running up the spiral, be awesome.

Tony :roll::roll::P

007  a.jpg

008   a.jpg

009  a.jpg

An other great afternoon working on the layout, nearly finished the second module, one more day an then can solder in the feeder wires for the bus wires, have one blue wire in, why I having glues the brown javis grass mat as yet.

Next step will using chicken wire and the Chux super wipes dipped in plaster to shape the right side cutting where the road ramp is.

Tony :roll::roll:

001  a.jpg

002 a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Here is the pic I couldn't load on the last post because was too big and the unthinkable happened the plaster came off luckily in one whole piece, all I had to do was glue it back with white glue, took the advantage and put in the blue wire, have to drill a hole in the tunnel mouth for the bus wire, have to do the same on the other side of the tunnel too.

Tony

003 a.jpg

Just won on Aussie eBay two Kibri HO scale wind Turbine generator kits, they are a Christmas so wont be able to do anything with till then, going by couple of forums I came across I will need 9 spine cars for the six blades, 6 flat wagons for the main towers which is in three sections and there is the main generators which will be on one 70 heavy duty wagon with two sets of bogies.

And there is the two blade hubs will be on one wagon, about 18 wagons all up, awesome train, I have a 5 spine car it box I haven't put together, be an excuse now to get stuck into putting them together and will need another four spine cars, so a big con there for next year.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rslist.aspx?id=TTYX&cid=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I wanted to post the eBay pic but it would go, so this one did, my two kits will never be put together will be staying as a train load, I know no one in my train club hasn't modelled them as a train load, I like to model something different, hopefully the blades aren't too long and will go around the curves on the club layout no problem on my layout.

There is quite a few pics of the spine cars in the link and will see the blade over three spine cars and the spine car cradles, I will finish the Boeing 737fuselage first and there is a couple of members modelling the 737 fuselage.

Tony. :roll::roll::P:D:P

Edited by Guest