Camdale layout

aussietmrail

1 hour ago, markgd said:

Hi Tony. Mark here.

Sitting on my own ship in Key West florida. 

Did DFDS ever get back to you with ship plans? Hope they did. Would love to see a ship model for a layout being built. 

cheers

mark

Hi Mark , DFSD have being in touch have sent me a stack of pics of their ship model in a clear polystyrene case in their office, pure awesome , quite a huge model will resize a pic .

Any chance of taking some pics of your ship, send them in private message. or email be there, they said they can help with plans, still waiting, there is a die cast model of the ship , thinking of buying it $125 au depend on posthaste 1/25 scale I think, water line model.

How is your layout planning going when you are home.

Tony fro down under keeping on moving ahead.

Hi Griff, that is a lego bridge, I am looking for ideas of saving wastage of ply cutting the arch out of a full sheet got some ideas from other bridge pics how I will tackle the arch will have to be in two half's as well having a 14 ft main span, once I finish the spiral will start on the  bridge, other southern end will have a 30+ long  double track ramp.

Haven't decided if I will be planning the extension  I have planned, will have a single track concrete  arch bridge, modeled on the  North Fork bridge Feather river California, the track is planned to go down the side of the house half in the garden and other on the path way and onto the bridge becoming a double track bridge., and extra passing loop.

I be back into the layout construction next week, Election day this Saturday be booth captain at a polling booth, my local school close to where I live.

How is your layout planing going and has the weather cooled down a lot.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

ar62-1.jpg

On 23/11/2017 at 16:45, aussietmrail said:

Hi Mark , DFSD have being in touch have sent me a stack of pics of their ship model in a clear polystyrene case in their office, pure awesome , quite a huge model will resize a pic .

Any chance of taking some pics of your ship, send them in private message. or email be there, they said they can help with plans, still waiting, there is a die cast model of the ship , thinking of buying it $125 au depend on posthaste 1/25 scale I think, water line model.

How is your layout planning going when you are home.

Tony fro down under keeping on moving ahead.

Can you let me know what sort of pics you need Tony? General or specific items for your model for instance.

If you google  The World ship you will see her.

I am away now until the beginning of feb. I have many doodles of my intentions for the railway here with me to keep me motivated. Just need to get home now to get stuck in.

I too will need a large removable bridge section. It will need to be light and strong enough to handle being moved. Mine will be around 6 or 7 feet in length. I really like the photo of the span bridge you posted. Where is it? I reckon I could make something using ply along the lines of that bridge using a double arch span design. As it would be put away after use the weathering effect on the ply would not be an issue.

cheers

mark

15 hours ago, markgd said:

Can you let me know what sort of pics you need Tony? General or specific items for your model for instance.

If you google  The World ship you will see her.

Hi Mark, what is name of your ship so I can put a search, I was going to build Ro, Ro  ship from your company,  was a bit like the one I  want to model, gee I wish they hurry up with the plan drawing.

What bridge are you talking about the post on this page a couple of posts back Western Pacific Railroad Company, or the Lego bridge, page 26, I have a drawing to that bridge, to HO scale is 11 and a half feet long, main arch span is 7 feet.

You said you be away to February, do they fly you home for Christmas.

Be back full swing working on the modules till it starts to get to hot, summer only a few day away, gets too hot to work in under the pergola, plenty of projects to work on in the cool hobby room.

I'd go with the lego bridge

Hi Griff, I agree would cut the arch sides out of ply and join the sections together to make the arch, will save on too much wastage when marking the arch out on a piece of ply, will have to be in two half's, span is 14 feet, two 7 foot sections joining in the middle.

Be glad to get back into the module construction , I am working on fixing up  the front corner module that approaches onto the spiral, that end wasn't cut square, once the corner module be moving onto the spiral, all the track decking has already being cut out and painted, just a matter of using the level jig to cut the spiral legs measured to size.to the grade of the spiral.

Summer only a few days away, rain all week into next weekend , will make the most of the cooler weather before it starts getting too hot to work under the pergola, will have o pick a good day to under coat the two Athearn F7/B class loco shells for my Santa Fe F7/A-B-B-A  Super Chief loco project.

Tony from Down under keeping on moving ahead.

Hi Tony,

Not sure what I am doing wrong here but I cant delete the quote box.

Anyway, I work on a cruise ship called The World. I have not worked on ferries for a long time now.  However if you need any photos that could help your Roro ship construction such as mooring winches, anchors and so on just let me know.

The bridge I like is the West Pac RR Co. one. I like the look of it and construction I think it would not be overly onerous to construct, would be durable and not too heavy once done. I wondered where it was to try and get a few more pictures of it.

I will be onboard for Christmas and New year as the ship runs 24/7 all year round. We try and get every other christmas at home but thats part of the job. I like the photos you post. How do you get on with the track in the heat? Any issues with buckling as you must have to leave good sized expansion gaps everywhere. In Christchurch it we can get temps from below zero in winter to well over 30C in the summers. Its something I will need to consider eventually.

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark I don't think you can actually delete quote box, you will have to ask Mick he is the admin for the forum.

I put in a search for your ship the World, good size ship to model, if she is the one there was a story about the World losing her anchor when visiting Hobart, does your ship cruise around the Pacific mainly , do you stop in at Brisbane .

Yeah I like to know a bit more about the  West Pac RR  Co keeps on coming up with Western Pacific Railroad , thanks for the offer.

Yes it is very in important  to have those gaps  and have a very good base board, if you plan to have the track down permanent I suggest you use marine ply and Peco  track , down size is you will have to clean the track before  running, dropping down that low you would get heavy frost and try to have your points under cover if you can will cause havoc the the the track, gaps on every piece of track, mine is a nail width wide.

My layout is a modules design, when I level each module the legs are cut to that, and number coded as well, no problems.

I came across another class Ro, Ro ship that actually had ship plans and  PDF hull cutouts with measurements, I think DFDS has a similar class very frustrating, the ship I am modelling  doesn't have the same info, will find the link and put in on the next post.

Hi Mark, some good news in the ship area, DFDS has come through and send me ship PDF line drawing and deck arrangement plans, of each deck, I will have to redraw my ship plans now, since I am building a waterline model first, and to save time I will mark out on the cardboard I be using to build the hull and superstructure, she actuality has 7 decks all up, still haven't found the height of the ship.

I will take your offer up on pics of winches, as there are some on the stern of the ship, the bow is covered be easy to model , one of the programs is dwg format and had to set one up to open the file but can't find where to print the pages, will have to ask my brother in law, he is a building  engineer  has access to those files a slight set back, hopefully he can get the printing down by Wednesday to give to my mum, meeting o Wednesday.

Now it will be time yet to start another thread in Members workbench on model model boats a part of model trains, I am planning a scene of her passing under my double deck bridge and later a Ro, Ro port , this ship takes containers as well as trailers and other mixed cargo like trams wind turbine parts.

Only two weeks to our first holiday, this weekend be finishing of the front northern end corner module and then heading to the southern end front corner and first station module re modifying them , so I can pack them away in the garden shed, nothing to be left outside under the pergola .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Thats really great that they sent you all that stuff Tony. Most companies are pretty helpful.

I will get a few photos of the aft mooring winches for you. What we have here is pretty much industry standard stuff. You can get scale winches for boat models online. Usually white metal kits I think. There is a RC model boat club in Christchurch and I did see one model of a tanker which looked amazing complete with winches. But if you are scratchbuilding then some photos will be best. I will get back to you in a few days time. We are heading for the port of west palm beach in florida tomorrow so will try and gets some photos there for you.

We use .dwg formats for ship drawings on a CAD programme. Any decent print shop should be able to get some prints for you from those files.

cheers

Mark

Evening Mark, gee you are cruising around a lot Florida now, do you cruise around the Caribbean islands at all, my sister and cousin did a cruise mid year will have to find out the name of the ship they were on and also the cousins daughter in in the dance group on the ship.

Yeah figuring out how to use the dwg program , no idea how to use it, lots of tools to use on the side, did by accident highlight one of the plans  and did see copy , my wife will have a look at it today while I am out side working on the layout finishing the corner module, have only got a couple of weeks before we go on our holiday to Calondra  so I can pack the modules I am working on into the garden shed.

Thanks for that taking the pics, I will have to scratch build my winches and luckily only have to build a couple of them on the stern, the bow is completely covered can't see any winches , there is opening on the side of the ship for the ropes, I will decide if I go that far with the detail, second ship I will , that one be remote controlled same scale 87th.

I have PDF as well, but the dwg is far better, while I am on the holiday at night can do the plan drawing, this lap top is playing up will have to finish loading the pics and links to my sons computer , it send and didn't touch anything.

They say we are having a wet summer being a lot cooler, will have to keep an eye on the weather report to pick the fine days to set the layout up out side, good thing is I can work on the spiral in under the pergola  when it is raining and designing the layout so I can set some of it p to run trains if it does rain for a few days.

Busy day today, pics to follow on the progress.

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead .

Edited by aussietmrail

Hi Thomas, do you want me to  take some pics of the drawing I have on the bridge, you have similar design concrete  arch bridges like that one in Germany including steel arch bridges you can get in HO scale .

Quite an easy arch to build I would use 3 mm ply or MBF board  that will bend easy and just a mater of cutting the supports for the arch to size, I will wait till I complete what I have planned first before I start on that extension plan side of the house be about 40 to 50 feet of single track and my bridge become double track, then I will have head out into the car port and that be single track as well, need to win the lotto, win the lotto can get some else to help me finish the layout .

Clouding over again more rain coming pain.

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead.

I set out to do what I panned today, finished off the northern end corner module, I fixed up the other end and now  is square, looks good, but I will need to cut the top of the ply  corner 3 inches to get the right angle for the start of the spiral , I then pained the module just had enough undercoat paint to finish it and waited to it dried and started marking out and laying points and cross over  and track, module is finished, till I start on the spiral.

Pics one is of the two points and diamond cross over has worked out well, isolating track joiners in place as well, pic two the side of the module front of the pic fixed, third pic a lose up of points and cross over last pic is what I be doing tomorrow the bridge is going to be in one full lift out piece should of being from the beginning, was too hard to join up and plug in the bus wires to the plugs wires .

Also hard to store the module would have to unscrew off the whole piece and heavy to lift up be easier once fixed, tomorrow will measure the new piece see how it fits in place before cutting the other piece off, and the job of rewiring again, worth it in the end, even with out the other three modules the station complex will look pretty good, a matter of sorting out what station building to model.

Corner module is ready to start soldering in place the feeder wires to the bus wires never ending .

Tony from wet down under  keeping on moving ahead .

001 a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have replaced the old bridge with a new bridge, looking at different ways to hod the bridge in place with out having to screw the bridge onto the ply strip on the end of each module, thinking of hinges, may have to buy a piano hinge and cut it to size , only an inch between the track., any ideas .

I will paint the bridge today after I undercoat the two F7/B loco shells , nice sunny day .

Here are the pics , you will see  in the first pic the two screws close to each other, hard to hold onto the bridge and screw the screws in  making sure the  bridge doesn't  move, pic the I still need to drill the bus wire plugs in place do that in the next couple of days, be about all I be doing , then I will have to fold the legs in so I can store the  two modules in the shed.

On Sunday we be going on our first holiday, have to mow the yard  tidy up leaving nothing in under the pergola in case we cop a bad storm., going away for 10 days , looking forward to it.

Our next big holiday be on the Indian Pacific .

We are not going to have a hot summer but lots of storms and rain so will make the most of those days next year into full swing, and hope to have a train running in May when I joined the forum.

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

The new lift out bridge between the front corner and first station module is  now ready to start soldering in place the  bus wires, I tested a 12 wheel  tank wagon  across the new track joins and wanted to see how the 12 wheel wagon would go through the singe slip cross over, passe in flying colours.

On Saturday I am going to connect the bus wires to the bus wire plugs both ends  temporary solder in feeder wires to the bridge track and bingo ready to test run the first loco  across the bridge onto the station module . Only a couple more days now to go before  our first holiday begins  on Sunday,  my wife need s to get away from the house , when we get back I will all the front station  modules and  set up temporary tow approach modules long enough to  fit  a three car DMU set, will be doing a video o the big even , be buy some plastic sheets to cover the modules so I can leave them set up for a couple of days so  I can work on the spiral and other end .

The first pic is anew but old idea, I decided to try if it would work, bingo it did, I will cut a smaller piece of dowel  mark where to drill the holes for the screws like in the pic, no more paint mess in the top of the paint tin rim and no more pain splashing on my legs or shorts be a perfect seal every time , saw in a video they used a rubber band, tried that didn't work, this does.

Next post b a video of the very first test loco  run on the front corner and station module .

Tony from hot down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_0310  a.jpg

IMG_0312  a.jpg

IMG_0313  a.jpg

Finely success after cutting  remembering to cut a grove in the fiberglass coated brass plate with the dremmel  no more shorts , was on a big high when I put the test light on the front corner module and bridge to see the test light lite up.

I had to use my Uncles Athearn F7/A Santa Fe loco do the honours , you see in the video the bus wire plugs is a lot easier to plug up now, that lower black and red wire is only temporary, till I cut more of the green and red thicker wires , for blocks one and two.

One more night to go and tomorrow start our long waited holiday , be taking the Lap top with me to check up on the forum at night.

Morning Thomas from Caloundra  QLD sunshine coast, yeah nice feeling to see a loco roll from one module over the bridge to the next module, got a point problem I have to sort out , no power on the straight section , curved has power, wonder  if it is the way I wired in feeder wires to the bus  wires, need to solder in feeder wires to the straight section.

Other than that problem all the bus wires worked through the bud wire plugs, nice feeling, going to be pure awesome when I run the first train all of the layout blow everyone away.

The  points cross over from one block to the other and have  isolated track joiners on each block., the points are insulfrog points.

Be more video clips after new year , setting up all the front modules and at each end a section long enough to fit a 3 car DMU set..

The unit we are staying in is a very good  spot for seeing ships go past , missed a cruise ship, got a pic of her stern , I  forgot the big SLR camera, the new iPhone Camera isn't too  bad .hope the ship comes back, Port Of Brisbane is at the mouth of the Brisbane river.

Have a very good Christmas and new year and to everyone else in the forum.

Our holidays are well under way, coming home Wednesday,I have being busy at night working out calculating from the scale  drawing I have of my ship to 87 scale not easy, but coming along,  when not working on the ship plans form  pics of different designs on two bridges both cable stay bridges, be using both bridges in designing my double deck cable stay bridge , the only way to go.

My bridge will  have a road deck on the steel framing , second pic , first pic the towers be straight as in  the first pic , be easier to build and smaller towers.

Where our unit is a great view for ship spotting , ships sailing by on their way to the Port of Brisbane or leaving ,  pics of  huge container ships and a cruise liner, got a link of the ships arriving and departing Brisbane , booking 8 nights in July next year, make sure I bring my big digital SLR camera 1400 zoom lens, forgot to bring it, pics taken with my new iPhone 8plus.

A break from the ship planning and back to the redrawing of my layout tomorrow night 

Merry Christmas to everyone 

Tony from Down under keeping on moving ahead

1_Gallery_Piacenza.jpg

2603_Yujiang_Bruecke  a.jpg

IMG_0364  a.jpg

IMG_0398  a.jpg

IMG_0452  a.jpg

IMG_0442  a.jpg

IMG_0434  a.jpg