Camdale layout

aussietmrail

The two Kibri wind turbine generator kits arrived today from Melbourne, one comment the American wind turbines must double the size of the European generators are huge as the blades measure 127mm long for the model, I may have to scratch build them to get it right as the blades fit over three or two 53ft spine cars my spine cars aren't that long,fit 48ft trailers.

Very sad I had a short peak, to check all the parts were there wont see the kits to Christmas day. :roll::roll:

Tony.

001  a.jpg

002 a.jpg

Came across a link to the sizes of the wind turbines in the US and Europe, even the smallest one with a 116ft blade length works out in HO scale 16inches and stand 3ft, still way too big for a layout, so I will have to work a length between the Kibri HO scale blade and the 116ft blade length and will have to add extra length to the tower, all the fun in the hobby.

If anyone else has good pics of the wind turbines be great to see them, the wind turbines generators in Australia look like the ones Kibri have modelled in their HO scale kit on

https://www.wind-watch.org/faq-size.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This wind turbine train is going to be an awesome project, cant wait to make a start, might experiment with how I am going to model the blades, after this weekend we are having in the high 30's all week, will finish the tunnel module off this weekend.

Tony.

Could only find a couple of you tube videos of a what I am aiming to do achieve, my train will have two compete wind turbine generators on the train rather than having just turbine blades, haven't got the wagons for that , being on a budget.

and here is the real thing on 89ft flat wagons goes to show how big the turbine blades are huge .

going to be a hot week coming up good excuse in the nice cool long room planning on how I am going to build the turbine blades, the kit blades don't look right even though the kit is HO scale.

Tony.

What a find this link is on a lot of the wind turbines out today, I did come across a smaller wind turbine that had a 39metre blade span, worked out in HO scale about 305mm blade span but the tower height is still massive 689mm, just over 2ft high in HO scale.

http://www.4coffshore.com/windfarms/turbine-vestas-v90-3.0-mw-offshore-tid54.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.4coffshore.com/windfarms/turbine-vestas-v39-500kw-tid56.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second link is the smaller turbine I am talking about, still will be modelling about a 16ft blade span and experimenting on who I will be tackling on scratching the blades

The first test scratch built wind turbine blade turned out well, now I will have to decided if I go bigger as even on the blue spine cars the 16ft blades doesn't look right, will depend on how the second one is made in place.

Once I do start building the wind turbine blades and the rest of the turbine generator components with will be part of the train load will most probable start a new post, off course finish the737 fuselage before, just about finished the fuselage.

Tony :roll::roll:

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

Had a very good day at my train club and the Flying Scot was a big hit with the members asking questions have I modified the tender drive loco to pull 11 coaches, I let the cat out of the bag and said to have a closer look between the two tenders, didn't click till I decided to take the second tender shell off ,the surprise of the members, I wish I could of done what Ian has with his, not to be.

Ran a couple of older locos I haven't run for a while the only two locos that are sister locos, 8029 and 8028 both locos are NSW from the 80 era still being used today on privately owned being rebuilt and the company paint scheme.

Have 4 video clips I have to up load to you tube some time today, the missing link.

A pity the videos aren't any longer , that is because the way the club has wired the blocks , need to have the throttle in that block, the layout was pretty busy so I couldn't put in the throttles three blocks ahead, will have to wait to my layout is up and running.

In pic 10 the trailers over here in Australia are called trailerailers , roadrailers in America, containers have taken over now and you do see a group of 6 on a mixed train, I haven't finished mine, need to be painted and decals, which are pretty expensive why I haven't finished the trailers, got 20 of them and they are 40ft trailers, we don't have the 53footers over here .

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

006  a.jpg

007 a.jpg

008  a.jpg

010 a.jpg

Good lord, the Comeng 80 class diesels, NOT class 80 as it would be pronounced in the UK. 8029 ended up being bent like a Banana after an accident at Delec Enfield when a fueling point operator accidentally opened the throttle to notch 8 and then panicked. Instead of switching out the Generator Field switch on the drivers control stand which would have returned to engine to idle, he just lay on the floor whilst the loco sped at top speed into the main shed. 8029 hit a GM 81 class and an Victorian GM G class.

The loco hit with such force that the motor mounting bolts which were about 2 inches thick were completely sheared off and the motor was shunted into the main generator on the 81 class.

As for 8029 she was never the same again and as the class as a whole were not successful they were sidelined. A few private operators have used them but no doubt maintenance is high.

I can remember when the class first came out in 1978 that 8001 and 8002 were supposed to work the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Broken Hill but one of them failed before leaving Sydney so another had to take it's place. They were brand new. 8002 failed on it's light engine trial from the manufacturer but still the railways took delivery of the first 25 and then ordered another 25.

They were the first diesels to be fitted with air conditioning from new and on humid summer days water would drip out of the vents over the crew.

Oil and diesel leaks were an ongoing problem for their whole lives and often the walkways in the engine room would have oil and diesel sloshing around.

It's good to see in the photo that the locos are working with the No1. ends facing outwards as a ban was placed on driving from the No.2 end by the union due to fumes and heat entering the No.2 cab. The toilet was at the No.2 cab end and if the air conditioner was working properly and at a nice 22 degrees the toilet would be 50+ degrees. A visit to it would be very short. No retention tank just a large rubber pipe that deposited the loo contents into the four foot. Looking where you're walking.

Roy.

Hi Roy, many thanks for the info on the 80 class, sad to hear what happened to 8029 and ended up being scraped, actually so is 8028 scraped too, very sad . :|:cry::cry: .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ants47/sets/72157625173752216/detail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go down 4 pic rows you will see a list of 5 locos and 8028 is one of them, was surprised to see 8028 repainted in a light blue.

Here is a link to all the 50 80 class locos, about 11 still in operational and Pacific National has one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_80_class_locomotive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy when was the 442 class built before the 80 class, looks like the same front cab roof design.

How have you been going with the heat wave, yesterday was pretty hot, peaked 41 degrees in Ipswich, today a little cooler but couldn't get outside to do any work on the layout scenery, I dropped into a hobby shop on the way home on Tuesday and bought some fine grass stuff and a bag of stuff to make small shrubs, will see what tomorrow is like.

Tony.

Finely underway building the first wind turbine blade modelled on the real 35 meter blade works out 16 inches long in HO scale, was just about to give up when I decided to use different tactics and it worked, but still need to build up on the front sides of the blade, second blade will be build with those improvements, was very hard to bend the cardboard to those different shapes.

The first two inches of the blade was made separate and glued on, the second blade the main centre beam will be the full length, be good if I could make a model from the first one, that will be quicker, am trying to keep the costs down, will take longer to build.

With the new blade I cut a 1mm thick cardboard beam and glued in card strips to get the shape, next blade will be much better, may have to start a new post on the WT blade train project and going be pics of the spine cars used will need five spine cars per two blades, be on the con for another Walther's 5unit spine car kit early next year, 15 spine cars just for 6 blades.

There is all the other components of the wind turbine, depends on if I will use 89ft flat cars for the tower sections , two heavy duty flat cars for the generators and blade hubs, awesome train, 20 plus wagons on top of the two locos.

Tony :roll::P:D:)

002 a.jpg

003   a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Wow the first wind turbine has turned out well with the undercoat, going to look good with the final gloss white paint, not bad for cardboard, would liked to of used styrene as I said added cost when being on a budget, the cardboard I am using cost $1 each for a small thin 0.5mm sheets each bought a few of them and the bigger 1mm sheet coat $2.80, cheaper than styrene.

What does everyone think, glad I am building only 6 blades, the other added cost is buying more wagons, need another 5unit spine car kit to make up 15 spine cars.

Once I finish this one off may start another post, this project will be taking a way to complete between finishing off the Boeing project, going to be some train when finished, 20+ wagons.

Tony :roll::roll::P:D

IMG_0281  a.jpg

IMG_0279  a.jpg

Here is my very first you tube video, boy what a lot of mucking around with passwords and a password to verify so you can up load onto you tube.

Next time I will change the image number , but may be able to edit back in my account, if anyone knows let me know, took 15 minutes to up load, hate to think what 6 minute will take, more to come. :roll::roll:

I am getting around uploading to you tube slowly, having uploaded one of the duel tender drive Flying Scotsman pulling 11 coaches, still haven't found the pause button on the iPhone six.

Can't wait to get the new long waiting NRN high speed internet 100MB's a second and upload 40MB's a second arrives in our neighbour hood,at the moment it is very slow for uploads on the copper HFC network 2Mb's a second up load and the 100MB's a second makes up for the slow upload, took 70 minutes to upload 6 minutes and 20 minutes upload 1.36 minutes.

Found out you can delete your video clips, I answered the wrong square and the 6 minute video went into then area, will upload it tomorrow, once I get the fell of it be straight forward.

:D:):P:lol:

Finished the mancala game board project, can move back to the wind turbine blade train project.

Have found out the 16ft blade isn't long enough for the Walther's 263ft 5unit spine car set, planning to build 20 inch blades modelled on the 45metre blades, will sit much better going by the measurements.

Hot weekend here be a great time to catch upon the model projects where I work on the kitchen table with the hobby mat down, need a bigger one.

Going to doing a video tomorrow on how the game is played with the friend.. :roll::roll::D

003  Tony's Mancala game board.jpg

We had our first bad storm on Tuesday and it isn't summer yet, more to come by the weather people .

Had wind gusts from 60 to 90 k's an hour, the rain was very heavy and blowing right into the pergola, so luckily I decided to put the two tunnel module away in the garden shed, the modules would of being wet.

We had one tree ripped out of the ground and a neighbours palm blown over onto our side and our tree stopped it form doing any damage to the fence, waiting for the neighbour to come over to cut it up.

Also the force of the water coming inform the neighbours yard washed the bark out of the garden, as usual I put the gravel in the wrong spot, on cooler days shift the gravel channel.

It's going to be a bad stormy season with the hot weather, hate January as it gets very humid, even at night.

Finely starting to see some green grass at last pocking through, a few more storms will do the trick.

Griff and Robert we sure need some of you freezing weather over here, how are you copping, some states are worse than others especially up north close to Canada from what I have seen in the news.

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

We are finely getting a break in the hot weather cool change coming in tomorrow be cooler for the weekend in the mid 20's, be able to get stuck into the layout and finish the two tunnel modules so I can continue onto the rest of the Tehachapi loop, pics to follow. :roll::roll:

Ended up having to start on a third wind turbine bade as I stuffed up the second one, making much better progress now.

The drawing pic is what I will be using the shape the sides of my blade, going to be a long progress construction build, once I get past the first blade the others will be a lot easier to build.

IMG_0470 a.jpg

IMG_0472  a.jpg

rotor-blade.jpg

Hi Roddy, yeah thanks that storm you are reading about was the worsted storm in 30 years, went in a straight line, where I live in Ipswich just got the edge of it, would hate of being caught out in it hail stones as big a cricket balls, 140k an hour winds ouch would of being scary a lot of damaged cars, trees did most of the damage to houses. :cry::(:o:|

The pics were from the storm last week where we had winds at 60 to 90k's an hour, the sad thing is more storms to come, the only good outcome is the grass has that green colour again.

We are going through a cool change at the moment, making the most of it , working on the layout tunnel modules, hoping to finish them off, be short lived back to hot days again next week in the high 30's.

Roddy how are you going with the cold weather starting snowing yet .

Tony