Camdale layout

aussietmrail

• 2 weeks later...

A very big happy New Year 2019 to every one in from dawn under, sorry I didn't get back , have being very sick since new years eve, Went into shock at my doctors clinic high fever, up to the Ipswich hospital where in a 4 bed ward , now idea when I be coming home , got a blood infection .I get more info on it , can be very dangerous, one those bugs, that like to attack to organs, one was the heart the doc's are worried about. Echo couldn't show a lot they could see, Monday I be going down to theater to have a tube with a camera to look at the heart and main valve to make sure it is not on it .

Not a come at a good time, yet another set back, won't be able to get stuck back into Camdale, since I was starting to make some big progress and on the bridge as well, hope there be good news Monday and when I be home .

The good ship Corona Sea I be focusing on, the captain is back on board and at sea, soon more pics will be sent by email of  mainly the main deck and upper decks .

Tony from down keeping on moving ahead , keep everyone updated on when I be heading home from hospital .

Hi Thomas, many thanks , yes for a while till I recover, got the ship project I can work on and other train projects, a set back, not a good start, how was your Christmas and new year like .

Monday is my biggest day.

Latest news I am now on Facebook., since Christmas day .

Tony from down under, keeping on moving ahead

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you've been incapacitated since New Years Eve Tony. You certainly pick your times - don't you realise inebriation is supposed to be the condition on that night?

I'm not sure whether you're still confined to a ward or have manged to make it back home but I do hope all is well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hi Mick,  didn't have much choice, I went into shock and had to be rushed to hospital from visiting my doc new years eve, still in hospital , waiting on a procedure, which has yet again canceled to tomorrow now.

They are trying to keep on the antibiotics thought the drip as long as they can, very frustrating, now wait till tomorrow comes.

Yeah and  thought I was finely getting some progress on Camdale and cop this set back,still won't be able to do much when I finely go home, Camdale will have to wait a while .

Catch up on some of my projects and finish them off, ship is the biggest project night time slot, can't wait to get back to it, starting to lay the keel of the next section.

Tony from hot down under keeping on moving ahead

Happy new year Roddy, many thanks for that, I had a look on Google Earth, wow you are right sure be a challenge, would love to seethe plans especially the actual station building, like the American Union station building.

All goes well be heading home from hospital today, will have to start planning my station building, designing it so I can use the building in two stations .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

I am finely home from hospital on Friday, still under the hospital till tomorrow, can't do to much at the moment too hot outside, going to be losing some plants soon  in the garden if we don't get rain.

I have decided to pull out an old project I started a few years back and didn't finish, have decided to finish it, the loco is a DD35/B loco , have started in cutting the center of the loco and replace the solid bit with a hollow tube. Was thinking of replacing the ends, will leave at this stage, cut the plastic packing of to top of the ends ,any ideas of pain striping how I go about that, only have the ends to strip off.

The loco is duel powered, looking at replacing the old motors for new ones 

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Have finished the new center piece of the shell roof , turned out well,  if I need to run wires through I can now, tossing If I replace the two ends or have a go at stripping the old paint off, a few layers to tackle, don't want to sand because of  where the lights go 

In the second pic there is a grove line lining up with the walk way I will do the same, yes I will paint the loco in Union Pacific colours to match the DD40/A loco.

Get back to the layout next weekend depending on the heat, be light duties finishing the spiral corner module , being a stinker of a summer, my plants are dying lack of rain and me not being here for two weeks , they get a hose this afternoon

IMG_2416.jpg

9d32ace6bc922f166da83fdd4f335a2047ad73d1-20180726-102848-C4-Trainz-4166664-STILL-06.jpg

• Like 1

I replaced one end of the loco yesterday, will probable leave the other end and buy a small tin of paint stripper from the hobby shop, a lot of work yesterday, the new end looks pretty good and at the right height now, I need to buy 4 sand boxes as in last pic , last post.

Still very hot, can only do a bit of work late afternoon, planted a plant in the rock garden, struggled to do that, Camdale be on hold for a while, only light duties, finishing off the spiral corner module, improving the points and track..

Cool change coming in next Tuesday, get some work done on the layout then, I plan to have directional lighting  in the loco, will need a DCC ready circuit board to clip onto the top of the motor, will need two.

Tony from very hot down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_2422.jpg

I managed to do some light stuff on Camdale, improving the track and points on the corner spiral module, much better, I actually the track down by  starting curve in closer to the edge on of the module, I be leaving the piece of track in that is close to the end of the module pic.

Tomorrow I will make a start on shifting the bus wires, drill the new holes for the feeder wires and solder the feeder wires in place, be ready to go, the track to the right is the suburban track extension in stage two and one passing loop for freight trains either way. Start that after I finish laying the track for the terminus platforms five tracks needed.

Tony from very hot down under

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finely started planning my station building, she is 3 feet wide by 30 inches deep, at the stage is 94mm's high be another 23mm's on that, I worked the width of the middle long windows to the width to scale of double sliding doors.

Haven't drawn the side windows in yest thinking  adding a lower set of windows like the Denver Station , my station is based on the New Orleans Union Station the station that would fit into the area for my building, heaven't drawn the side plan either, to get this far took a couple of nights.

Be a while before I start construction on my station, not sure what to build it out of may be MDF board 3 mm thick.

The lucky last pics I decided to replace the Electrofrog point with the motor  with an insulfrog point, will use the other point some where on the layout , where it is not so hard to pack away, all the modules are now ready to go, won't test run a loco till the control panel is hooked up .

I improved the track from the three way to the express point by straightening the track up , looks good.

Don't worry about the track being so close to the edge, I have planned for a 6 inch strip of ply with a single track siding for the auto carrier wagon doc at the end of platform one 

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

o.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

• Like 1

Tony, Is this any good to you?  http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/2013/10/free-download-print-scale-rulers-for-railway-modellers/?fbclid=IwAR06mYfv4FoDMfq4hWK4cdZzMuoNPeCnwx31XryrJQ6etaaUsLkXlWF3Uyg

It is a good site for downloads.

SORRY TONY. Try this instead.    

Due to an issue earlier on, here's the link to the free download scale ruler:

http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/…/10/MRS-Scale-rulers.zip

Edited by roddy
Error in link provided.

Hi Roddy, many thanks for that card link, yes I can use some of those building especially the loco work shop building, I am looking into other card models especially trailers sadly have to be 87 scale is what the model ship scale is, even containers out of card, save some money too as the RTR models are too dear now and some out of reach for some modules.

I am looking into PDF files on 737 modules want to check the scale the models are in, can go to a print shop and they resize the prints foe me, saving half the time in scratch building a 737 fuselage in 87 scale.

The morning is quite cool still, heading out after brekkie are wok on the bridge , no point doing any think on the last stage of the layout till it gets cooler.  

The thoughts  go out to the glaziers up north doing it tough after the big flood loosing most of their cattle , up around Townsville to Mt Isa down to Longreach, very widespread, they were in a 5 year drought, played for rain got it and prayed for it to stop, now the big clean up and still copping storms what you get for living in the tropics.

• 1 month later...

Has being a while since last update, has being too hot, Saturday I started to modify the track on the spiral corner module not needing the spiral there, shifted the spiral to the car port end so I can have level track in the car port  for a second suburban station, three through track one be a passing loop for freight trains .

Good thing is I can now build the spiral in under cover, be starting on the next weekend, the  bridge is coming along nicely I have finished the first arch of four arches will make up the bridge. will use the first arch as a template for the other three .

Ship is coming along nicely pic updates in the workbench thread.

I had to have the main line track like that in the pics because of the left hand points, would of liked to have right hand points  will change them later, I still have to move over the siding track that will go to the turn table and auto car carrier loading dock.

I have a few  sheets of white polystyrene  19 mm sheets, the new train club I go to has a hot wire cutter, will use it to cut  the sheets to the width of the platforms, should get enough for two platform lengths,find out where to but more sheets.

Yesterday was very humid , today is 34 degrees and storms predicted for the, wont be working on the layout till the weekend.

Tony from warm down under keeping on moving ahead

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since Camdale has being a bit quiet, because of the hot summer, I have being working on a railer for my Bachman 5 car Virgin DMU set to fit on full length 61 inches, the railer will become a storage box as well. This blow everyone away the train bee able to drive out onto the track  powered by a special ramp I made up took two days to workout, was on a high when the test light light up when I turned up the throttle, haven't tested a loco yet will soon.

I have only half built the storage box, recycled cardboard from my mower and whipper sniper boxes, after stating on the first half of the box I found out the whipper sniper box way longer.

Pics 005 and 006 are the key , the white plastic card holds the ramp down  and pic 004  keeps the box straight, it is very cloudy here and raining off and on , humidity is at 84 percent , can't do any work on the layout cutting , tomorrow is a better day, got the ply to finish off the bridge arches.

You can see in pic 003 the train is joined up by draw bars and very hard to pus in and pull out, can't put kadees on too much work , will let everyone know how the  first loco went.

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Just let everyone know success, I had to scrap the first ramp, the loco kept on derailing on the ramp, I came up with a better ides, pics to follow and ended up connecting the track in the box to the alligator clips to the track from the transformer worked perfectly, still need to file the track some more.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.