Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Track laying is well under way crossing the corner module to the short bridge that will connects the spiral,I unscrewed the front end of the corner module today so I can cut the ply top so the grade wont that sudden and the couples uncouple, put in a 5mm piece of ply , will have to do the same on the legs of the bridge and curve.

Pic two I replaced the curve point with a straight point and in pic three I shifted the curve point up a few inches to make the track between both point  have a larger curve, looking heaps better.

I am looking at wiring in a slide switch so I can cut the power on the spiral track and then be able to shunt the Ghan locos onto the main line and back onto the passing loop at the station, will have signals as well.

Down under's turn for it to be raining , all week we need it bad, with the two boxes of peco track arriving tomorrow, be full swing into laying track in the station terminus platforms.

Be able to still work on the spiral setting the curves up on the saw horses to get the grades right and join the curves together, moving slowly the best way will get there.

Tony from wet down under.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

At long last I have finished nailing down all the track and points on the car port corner module ans started making up the bus wire harnesses and pushing the feeder wires to the track, all up working on three modules, wiring always taking the longest to do.

The track work and point to the right of the pics is block 19 siding, access to the auto carrier wagon loading dock, pics one and two, third pic is heading to the turn table and steamie service facility and round house, some diesels will head to the turn table as well.The last pic my turn table need s a bit of TLC to fix up the fencing on the bridge and arch, be at the wiring for the next few days, will be able to power up all the modules and some smaller decking coming off the station modules.

Tony from sunny down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

It's looking really good Tony. 

Remind me again - how many sections are there in total? How many will you be able to leave erected? and roughly how long do you expect it will take to erect the remaining boards in order to have a running session?

Afternoon Mick, there are 21 curved and straight sections, the spiral makes up 7 of those sections and with the 6 modules  27 all up, I have being working on the bus wiring to find I had  short, in the car port corner module, started cutting the feeder wires still the buss sound to find out it was a faulty point and had to be Peco's large express point, took it out.

Got enough track now, three fexie track boxes and 6 single lengths of track.

Wasn't paying my local hobby shop a visit to buy a replacement point, need two other points for the station terminal track when I start nailing the track down, I used what I had and came up with a better point arrangement, pics show the finished points being nailed down, tested a  12 wheel diesel and she went through all the points well even the diamond cross over.

Now the car port corner module is complete ready to go, except when joining up to the curved section decking that links up single track curved section which will become a curved viaduct.

Back to your question Mick, I don't know when the layout be up and running, still working on the module bus wiring, still got some feeder wires to solder onto the track on the approach module and finely get stuck into wiring up the last station module, that one will connect to the control panel, wiring takes for ever, but worth the effort when a train is running around the layout will get there.

Test run my son's Thomas, put some oil on the gear ran a lot better but forward isn't as goo as reverse, even if I only have the modules up and running buy the 19th or soon after to run his loco, which is 26 years old, will have to dig out the pic of him in the center  of the first layout playing with Thomas.

I have a ship update, to post as well, model ship is coming along, have filled in most of the bow now, wasn't easy, the hardest part of the ship  is nearly done.

We are heading for a cold snap Monday 1 degree over night, we  will drop down  lower that to nice 23 degree days.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

001a.jpg

002a.jpg

003a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Being a few weeks since the last update, it has being a being a big change and will be a lot more fun with DC just by adding a switch and isolator track joiner on one side switching of the second loco as in pic one, so the first loco can drive off  onto another track , then the second loco can continue on as in pic 2 and 3, pic 4 the extension of the switch through the ply.

Pics 5 and 6 , hole is big enough the move the switch, bingo the fun begins, pic 7, I switched the diamond cross over with the double slip, for smoother access to the two island platforms so the train can head off to the right train of the 3 way point.

Plan is drive the Indian Pacific to the  three way point with the first NR IP loco past the switch center line, switch off past the 3 way so the NR will drive straight ahead onto another block, witch on and the second loco will drive onto the right of the 3 way, head to the double slip an switch to the right onto the left side of the right side of the island platform.

Then the other half of the Indian Pacific, the length of the Indian Pacific has 28 coaches one auto carrier wagon and two locos, I can't wait to dive in my version of the IP, be a while off yet, being told I had the  bus wires around the wrong way, have changed them around, as I finish each other modules will swap those wires around , bit  slight set back, got the feeder wire soldering down to a fine art.

To from cold down under.

007.jpg.100ae83d79b1eed33c158842de7286a4.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I had a very good weekend in the electrics side, foound out I made a mistake in buying an electrofrog in stead of insulfrog point, years back, must of forgot to check the point always wondered why I  had trouble when I finely got to use it . A  friend told me, he saide to through in used bin, I decided to have a go at getting it to work with some research bingo 4 days later working ,success.

Here is how I did it in getting polarity working the right why on the electrofrog, the key is the Peco point motor switch PL-11 is the key,  yesterday I spent wiring up the point motor, bingo it worked, time too test a loco WOW the loco went through the point  forward and backward on the curve and switching to the straight by hand worked well, on a very big high. Today I decided wire the point motor up to power by a CDU  giving that  extra grunt, with the prices of these Peco express points, I wasn't going to through it out, a slight set back on the rest of the layout build.

First pic is how I got the electrofrog  large straight point to work, first up where the gap is, under neath the point Peco soldered in jumper wires , they had to be cut and pulled off, next had to solder in jump wires on the inner straight track to the curve track, same on the other side .Will have to put some plus, I had to solder wires both sides of the point to past the frog, was not an easy task trying to solder wires, I got around that and had to cut between the sleepers to hide the wires, turned out well last task cut the frog between the wires and frog.

Pic two the CDU  , will be cutting out a piece of ply board for the CDU to sit on and small terminal strip, see the spring loaded DPWT switch,  I cut the wires and clamped on plugs,  since my layout is a module layout be hard to store the modules with the point motor on the top, will take the motor off, will be the way to with other  point motors.Yes I plant to hide the point motor with most probably a  signal  building, was very easy to unplug from the tranie, just two screws holding the point motor down, more work tomorrow, will finish the approach module this week.

The last pic I didn't add, here it is,, showing how I wired the brown and purple wires on the point to after the frog, was very hard indeed, worth the effort.

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

Edited by aussietmrail

• 2 weeks later...

Had a successful weekend with the wiring department, finely sorted out the switch issue with the last post, didn't work, found a DPDT slide switch switch and it worked cutting anthe power off past the first loco .

Mick how do I type in words between the pics, do I submit the post first and edit the post????

First two pics is testing the switch before screwing the switch in place under neath the module, second pic is the  isolated joiner on one side of the track and last pic, the hole is big enough to get my finger in.

I also put in a length of track long enough to fit a loco on before the point, was told it's not good to stop a loco on the point, can't wait to actually shunt the Indian Pacific, more pics next post.

Tony from very cold down under, hit minus three, keeping on moving ahead.

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 1

Finely back after sorting out the issue with the laptop just because of an update from Microsoft, shut off the USB ports, my wife found the problem, thought we had to have a new bother board, couldn't back up everything, up had to pick out the best pics and send them in an email to the other computer, took all day, was waste of time when my wife found the issue, anyway the pics need to backed up,

Hi Mick, I had a look at the insert other media, need to upload from URL, so does that mean upload to the gallery first., will try that next post

I have found more fun with DC just by wiring in a DPWT side switch, pic 005 where the how in the module is is the switch is switching off the track after the first loco and the lead loco can drive off onto another block,. The red loco I swapped with the orange  and  gray loco,   pic 006 continues on with half of he Indian Pacific straight through the cross  over onto the right side of the island platform , the rest of the train get back in onto the  left had side, can't wait to do that.

Pic 008  with the two locos right back to the module join I am changing to double finishing on the first curved section, so the whole Indian Pacific can fit on not holding up the main line. At the front of the pic where the cross over is b two more points so other passenger trains can get onto other platforms and freight trains get past.

Back into finishing of the track for the new block , the new block be block 20, using up all the rotary switches, plan to use, block 19 as a reverse   loop, wiring in a switch .

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead. 

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

• Like 1

The final track is down on the car port corner module, the big changes is in the last two pics, I have added on another block using all 20 blocks to make sure there is enough room to fit 28 passenger cars and two locos of the Indian Pacific to keep the main lone open to run another train, be on my toes then keeping an eye on the second train.

In the second pic where the main changes are, the curved deck that will join the corner module will have double track, be awesome with a couple of friends over running trains as well

Looking at cutting back on bus wire, using the rails as bus wire soldering to each track join mainly the bridge has double track  , still will have to link the bridge to the main control panel being only 15 feet from the bridge, being a passing loop.It not just running bus wire under the bridge it is running the bus wire back to the panel through   all that way, trouble with big layouts. On the other corner module and station  modules I have plugs and wire won't need them can be used on other blocks, some bus wire changes will save some money, I am still working on the approach module, four blocks to do, once finished will work on the module that will connect to the main panel.

Want that wiring out the way so I can move onto the last stage of the layout and home.

Tony from very cold and windy down under keeping on moving ahead.

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

Had a busy weekend in the electrical department , Saturday I wired u two more bus wire harnesses and soldered the feeder wires in place, all hell broke lose, had a short in one other blocks, was too late in the afternoon to find it,  left it till Sunday.

At first couldn't find it,cut wires and pulled out the the electrofrog and half the track to discover the the fault, wires touching at the other end of the module , everything went back in, the only change is I pulled out the switches for switching off half the track to uncouple the lead loco and changing with plugs.

First pic the lead loco passes the stop line I pull the plug uncouple off  to another block plug back up and drive with the second loco half of the Indian Pacific, second pic  is the shortest block on the layout, where  the plugs are will cut power to past the straight point to the siding, the only way I can work out the short block. Couldn't wire it to the middle track upsetting that block , I did find that Hornby have an isolating switch will buy them later, got other stuff to buy first .

Lucky last I came up with an idea to get the light up out the way, so the train boxes  finely came in handy , was on the corner of the work bench when bumping it when measuring  and cutting with the long ruler, will make it a lot easier next week when I start adding the wires with the plugs on the control pane, lots of them

Be finely gld to see the end of the module wiring and get stuck into the final push into joining up the rest of the smaller decking and bridge

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finely got, instead of pulling those plugs have replaced with toggle switches and has worked well, then I decided to add LED lights to like up when the power is on.

I have wired the LED's so one will light out in each direction, have done the same for the second block as well, first pic is ford, with the yellow colour, second pic pic reverse I may switch the wires around later to have green for ford, third pic with switch off and if I  move the throttle to on both lights will come one, on a high.

Be as close as I will get to DCC on DC just all that wire, I am thinking of using a computer 25 way plug to save all that time plugging up those 20 plugs.

Pic four is the terminal strips for all the  block bus wire to feed into and then to the control panel makes it nice neat and tidy and easy to track when there is a short, on top of that the wires have to match how the control panel is wires up.

Last pic about 14 blocks with the module that has the plugs I have to run wires from the terminal strip to those plugs, have  wired in 6 so far and two to that module.

Today I started cutting 3 inch ply for the adjustable stand, to save bending down to tighten up the wing nuts and looking at the level very hard, with the new modifying wont have to and save getting a sore back, will finish tomorrow pics to follow.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead 

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

• Like 1

A break off the wiring, got sick of bending down and up to check how the level is when leveling the module on the adjustable stand , so have improved one so far took all afternoon, but now no more bending down and it works.

The big changers are the wing nut is now on the outside , I  replaced the bottom bolts with long 3 inch bolts, the other bolts went long enough to put on a lock nut. I will give my wife a break from all the noise of the compact drill and continue on the bus wiring module  that will connect to the control  panel, got 14 more blocks to wire into the terminal strips.

Wont get back to finishing the other stand till Wednesday afternoon,, Monday 12 months back my son died be a quiet day, Tuesday is his anniversary be going down to the Crematorium in Brisbane where his plague is, can't believe on how quick the year has gone.

IMG_1877.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have finely finished the bus wiring on the module that be connecting to the main control panel , today I crimped on the connectors and screwed in place a length of 3/4 inch pine timber for the connector to be held in place.

Pic one yes all the wires are coded so I  know what plug to plug them into and some are paired off for that plug making it quicker, it took three days to finish the wiring in pic two, pic 3 the connectors I be using the blue connector is the one that is on the pine bracket.

Pic 4 I started clamping the connectors down, the wire clips are too small , going to get bigger ones tomorrow , took to long to do ten and a bit untidy want to make it easy to connect the spade connectors, also have to protected when in storage.

That is the trouble with DC wiring double the amount just to get three throttles to work, nearly there, once I have finished that job will solder  the feeder wires to the track and that model is done  and onto the next will need plugs for the next one .

I am just about out of wire again so will need more to make up the lead from the control panel, that be after the the weeks holiday in early October, going to to the same place we went to over Christmas Caloundra  sunshine coast QLD. will get the wire after the holiday.

Tony from cool down under keeping on moving ahead

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

That's a lot of wires Tony - and that's just one module? It's a good job you can turn the boards over for access as I couldn't imagine having to do all that lying on my back.

I can't begin to work out what it's all for so I'm glad I opted to tread the DCC route though even that can get complicated at times if you stray from the basics.

I'm sure it will all be worth it once you get some trains running.

Hi Mick, many thanks yeah sure is, I wish I could go DCC but can't because of the cost ,it is the locos as well putting in decoders, I am stuck with DC just made it more fun as you say worth it in the to see the trains running controlled by the control panel.

I have officially connected the main panel to that module, only 5 blocks today, gee takes time, I wont have enough wire will have to buy more when we come back from our weeks holiday second week of October.

Mick have you any idea on how I can clamp the connectors down on the board, that way they all can be in a line and easier to connect, the  spade connector is pretty tight thinking of filling it down a bit .

Pretty happy as the the control panel is at the right height, don't have to to bend down much and be easier to plug up and pull out with a light file, I can't wait to run the first train, yes will be sitting in a chair, buy a cheap computer chair, even going to make a trolley that is low to the ground so I can wheel back and forward on the station modules,, on my knees .

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I wouldn't have thought it would be too expensive to go DCC - you'd probably recoup most of it with the saving in wire! But seriously, I do understand and it's all getting more and more expensive by the day.

I know very little about wiring Tony, the choc block connectors are about as sophisticated as I go. Would you have to connect all those spade connectors individually each time you connect the boards? Wouldn't you be better with one of the D-sub connectors similar to these https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-sub-connector-kits/7873814/ ?

I don't know much about them but it seems that's what most people use for interconnects between boards.

Hi Deano, yeah has taken awhile but I am glad the hardest is out the way now, sadly I won't have enough wire to finish the leads from the control panel to the module,  will have to wait till after we get back from our week at Caloudra .

With the two step ladder, the first step the transforms will be going ,have to make a box for them as well as the two remote control receivers will be too at the end , lots to do after our short holiday.

Is is cloudy and raining at long last the grass will pick up now, no work outside  today, good time to do some work on the ship , progressing well past the the bow section 

Not  much be happening with the rest of the module wiring , only have tow modules out  and they be put away in the garden shed, this week.

How are you and your wife going  plus your layout .

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead

Morning Mick,  yeah I did want to use those 25 way computer plugs would of being a lot quicker to connect to the module from the control panel, but the guy at the electrical  shop said not to use the plug because of  mainly to do with the AMP's as my transformers are 6 AMP, why I went for those connectors, actually they are easy to plug in , all wires are number coded.

I wouldn't have thought it would be too expensive to go DCC - you'd probably recoup most of it with the saving in wire! But seriously, I do understand and it's all getting more and more expensive by the day.

Yes would love to switch to DCC, being on a pension be tough going trying to convince my wife, since I already have two 3 amp remote control receivers and four  transformers, two are 6 amp be used to power the remotes, third one 2 amp control the 2 amp throttle and fourth to power the  led lights in the control panel.

Don't know how long we be staying here, one day will have to down size, hopefully a retirement village, so long as I can have fun running the layout till then, fingers crossed the layout can come too.Don't want to have to break the layout up be a sad day, sell the trains and a new  hobby will take over, keeping the trailers, containers and container wagons, some  keep a few locos, be modelling  a Ro, Ro port .

I don't know much about them but it seems that's what most people use for interconnects between boards.

Will still use the 25 way computer plugs for the Led lights for the point motors and led lights for the points, I use the Led's for the blocks as well so will have four on each point .

Still a lot of dark cloud hanging around, might clear enough to repaint a model Truck I am doing for a friends birthday, Christmas present, Smokey and the Bandit colour scheme .