Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Back into the layout again after nearly two weeks, yesterday I nailed down track and points, decided t  try   a new quick way to bridge the module  join instead of using those circuit brass plated board strips I just cut  9 inch long pieces of track, but the  only problem there is you intend to use more rail joiners, looking at solving that problem I also was to speed up the track laying  as well.

Pic one the UP coach on track 3 other end  of the module I had to add in two points to access that track , you see second pic , the coaches fly through them with ease not much swinging out on the points as the first two points are express points those long ones by Peco . In pic two the diamond cross over is very old indeed belong to my late brother in law  he had on his layout in the later 70's , still works  well why not use it .

Last pic  of the double slip cross over going to be a night mare getting the track set right for the train o go into the right platform , does Peco have a diagram of the cross over be helpful indeed , cant' wait  for the first passenger train to go through the points.

I am still hoping to have the first track circuit done by Christmas the only hold up is run out of track, going away for 10 days over Christmas the first holiday  we have had since before our son started school  be up the north coast Calroundra , and a week holiday on the Gold Coast end of March next year , looking forward to the break,  don't want to be at home for the first Christmas , still hard to come to terms with the loss .

We are having a taste of summer this week 37 degrees today, tomorrow 38 on Tuesday 32 , Thursday the big one 39 degrees ouch not in the house though, have moved my hobby room to the room that has the AC in it , back to 32 degrees over the weekend will make the most of the cooler days on the layout.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

IMG_1721  a.jpg

IMG_1722  a.jpg

IMG_1724  a.jpg

Hi Thomas, many thanks, I am looking forward to your station complex after seeing your CAD plan of the three levels .

I am hopping to have something running by Christmas, with these hot days slows it down , will have to pic the cooler days , Tuesday is a cooler day do some work in the afternoon .

Have you thought of using those locking car door motors there are water proof and DCC friendly, IanR  started up a thread in operating point motors outdoors here is the link to that thread, I am thinking of having go half the price .

I forgot to take a pic of the new way for the module track join, I have worked out how I will hold the track pieces in place by screwing in small screws between the sleepers doing away with the track joiners, the last station module I will have to do away with the brass plated strips as a couple of the tracks aren't lining up well and the gap is wider as well didn't work out  after setting the modules on the floor.

Will deal with that another day,  working on the smaller modules now .

Is the lady expected to keep her job, I am into politics, got a branch meeting tonight, can't do much today .

IMG_1725  a.jpg

Hallo Tony, 

I read carefully the thread about the car door locking system motors and I've a few ready at hand but I've places where I've not enough space to implement them. 

And my larger points are not held like those of Peco with a spring in place. The moveable frogs do not make it any easier ...😉 

Afternoon Thomas,

It is a lot of work setting up those car locking motors and can't have them direct to the point, a lot of modelers are turning to servo motors, can get them in 12 volt versions will have to shop around can be quite dear, Peco have a servo set up DCC friendly  if you have a space issue.

In some ways I don't need to have point motors to start off with be using remote controllers can follow the train and set the point before the train gets there, I will have to set the block to the remote throttle, would love to go DCC but that was halted when my son passed away, back to DC and more wiring unless I get a win in the lotto., nice to dream.

We have had a bad couple of very hot days here breaking all records in Ipswich yesterday peaked 41 degrees today a but cooler 37, tomorrow 33, cool change coming in Sunday and rain back down to 16 for the next few days. I am into wood turning , making my brother for his 70th birthday a weather station with two weather instruments and a clock  take a couple of days to make , and finish.

Tomorrow I be working on my ship  cutting out the first deck and hopping  to get some help in working out the actual  height of the hull, only have a front PDF plan to work by and lots of pics , need a proper plan, did send a bloke an email from DFDS  he hasn't replied., a water line model, 2.150  meters in length 87 scale..

Any progress in you layout build.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I set up all the front modules yesterday and y wife said I have to cut the layout back, so that is what I did 8 feet off the length and 6 feet off the width , budget going to be a lot tighter now but have  bought back the spiral to gain the height needed and the length as well 35 feet , a slight set back to having trains running by Christmas, may have to leave it and aim for May , 4 years  in the forum.

Down the track I be planning a reverse loop in the car port bring the length back to 54 feet, need it to turn the Indian Pacific around. and a  branch line to a small town as well., at the other end still go out into the garden and around to the back of the house onto the bridge. Later expanding the layout to go down the right hand side of the house.

Still works out well for the bridge, can have a tunnel where the lower truck to the spiral  cutting out too much track and go off to the right  of the spiral , sadly a whole new module the plain piece of ply is I hope to use the ply top of the module running into the car port and the sides of the module under the ply sheet.

The larger curved decking is from the old Tehachapi loop Spiral I started working on and same with the smaller curve decking .

Where the end of the straight piece of ply is , where the bridge  will sit and  the ship in the middle.

Be working on a weather station I am building for my brothers 70th birthday, bought a large drill bit 60 mm's to drill the hole for the weather instruments to sit in the timber.

Tonyfrom down under keeping on moving ahead

001 a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003 a.jpg

Hello Tony! 

It is still huge and great. At least with a reduced layout you will faster be able to run your first train. 

And because you make it in modules you can still make it larger again later in the future. 😉 

Best Wishes from Germany 

Thomas 

Morning Thomas, many thanks yeah the whole idea of me building the layout as a module layout I can change at each end of the layout keeping the middle the same and approach modules each end  as well, my station complex cutting back, till I win the lotto , nice to dream, after I finish my brothers present be back into the layout construction working on the new car port end  front corner module.

Still have about 7 platforms all up would like another station some where else on the layout, one day.

Will take  me a week to build, cut he main piece today have to square it up, my batter saw only has a 45 mm cut, will use the sander to do that job, pics to follow..

I still am planning my bridge ship scene, bridge main span 14 feet in two sections, going to be an awesome scene indeed, I like to mix other hobbies with model trains, aircraft being another , one project I am working on is Boeing 737, built one series 7 737 fuselage, next fuselage be a 737 800 series, I managed to go in a series 800 to Canberra last year was awesome .

Back to the ship I cut out the bow top deck and stern,  the stern will change as it is in two decks, the bow be easy to model being closed in, I am having some trouble in working out the height of the main deck to the top deck, once that is sorted out can make a start on the hull, is only a water line model, am hopping to get hold of plans so I can build a complete ship, with radio control .

The length is 2.150 meters long, beam 305 mm''s height not worked out yet.

IMG_1732  a.jpg

IMG_1733  a.jpg

ms-finnbreeze-imo-9468889-helsinki-27207  a.jpg

Hi Thomas, it is nice to dream, one day our numbers will come up,.

Yeah that ship is pretty wide,but will check that I am working out the measurements right, as I said like to bring other hobbies to the layout,  don't see  a lot of Ro, Ro truck ships being modeled mainly container ships and depends on the era cargo  ships.

Heavy cloud cover here, they say a couple of showers and a storm predicted, 30 degrees, I be working on my brothers project today, hope to finish it in a week so I can get back to the layout .

Here are some close up pics of the ship, two of the stern, can see what I am taking about trying to get right, be great if you know someone that can help me out, not going to start on the hull to I do, most probably build her out of 1 mm sheet cardboard, being a water line  model.

I plan  to model a Ro, Ro container port  just up from the front of the layout where the rail line can access from the layout.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head

59dd57398f688_tram3a.jpg.0caaceddf04d8aaed5a3c6517a1db39e.jpg59dd57243996d_maxresdefaulta.thumb.jpg.44ba9f5226c9965d9a215d7331e37164.jpg59dd570f92a26_finnseaa.thumb.jpg.4d53297dacbee4326e394e2d28280618.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am now back on the layout construction again after  nearly 7 weeks , today I pulled down two modules I wont be using on the new  sadly shorter design, knocked off 8 feet for now, but later be heading back into the car port with  a single track off the spiral and back around to the back of the house northern end corner module and on to the bridge.

For now the spiral be beside the at the inside of the car port gaining 8 inches to the bridge , the only way to add extra length is a spiral be double track, I also redesigned the the track and points on the first approach module northern end , will have to rewire the bus wires and yet add another smaller block, the only way to work out the bus wiring you will see what I mean  in the pics.

Pic one the first module and the  cross over and points to the left of the pic is what I changed, even different to how I first had the points and diamond cross over worked out well, I don't think I will need point motors ans I will have remote control throttles for the main line can walk  along with the train., still have operating signals for fun.

The train will have access now from the main line to platform 5 and back onto the main line, I am at this stage planning 5  terminus platforms and three suburban platforms, not sure how long we be stay ing here now two years max will depend on my health, be happy to get a  couple of years running trains on my layout, keep pushing ahead.

Going to be a couple of hot days coming up,  get some work done in the morning before it gets to hot 34 degrees and a storm predicted, 35 on Monday , cooler Tuesday.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

001  a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003  a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to my late uncle aftr a couple of Sundays back I picked up the last of his train collection in three large boxes, to my surprise  there were 10 Peco points , two large radius points  a large diamond cross over and 6 smaller points four are 7 inches long, made full use of them yesterday.

In pic one I replaced the larger point with the 7 inch left hand point and same with second point, pic two the larger points were used on the main line with the large diamond cross over, I like the idea of mock up points to see how they will fit to the track plan , not permanent, building a new  car point end front corner module , the new spiral runs off the inside of the module.

Two different angles looking down from the car port , last pic looking up towards the car port,  looking at the last pic the set of points to the left of the pic I  fixed up the  second point , looking a lot better, I don't think I will motorize the points  at this stage as I will using remote control throttles and walk around with the train, will put in manual switches closer to the end of the module . I do have a lot of point motors see how I go when the layout is up and running early May now, no work on the layout during the week my state Queensland is in election helping my MP  in the seat of Bundamba , voting day is the 25th.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Hi Tony,

Mark here from Christchurch New Zealand.

I use to drive those RoRo ferries across the dover straits and around the UK. If I can help you with anything let me know. I drive passenger ships now so if I can help with details or photos let me know.

What was the outcome of the car central locking servo motor debate for point operation? According to this link they are as cheap as chips. If they work thats what I will use and waterproof.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/rear-view-cameras/auction-1464748951.htm

Quite why is says rear view camera I don't know. Ignore it.

cheers

mark

Morning Mark, welcome to the forum from across the Tasman, new ideas, that will be pure awesome if you can help me get drawing of my ship I want to model, I only have a PDF side plan to work by, some measurements , but need the full height of the ship,having trouble working out the height clearance between the main deck and upper deck ., nice to get hold of a deck plan as well of the hull too.

What rank do you have to have to drive a cruise ship .

Be looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress in your garden railway, my wife rather me  do away with the hobby, no way,  especially  what has happened  I will be pushing to get my layout up and running early next year , tied up with QLD State election, going  to help out in pre-polling today  and Friday , same next week.

I found a couple of good pics of my ship I want to model , the DFDS  ship  is MSG 113 class , the Finnlines has the same ship they call theirs the Breeze class .

Yeah a way to go those door locking motors nice and cheap plus they are water proof , a lot of work to set up but you are best off going for the ones that just have two wires easier to wire up, half the price of the Peco point motors .

There are servo motors you can use too to switch points, they come in volt as well , Peco have a system  using servo motors but quite dear, DCC friendly .

Will check out your planning post 

Many thanks.

Tony from down under

DFDS_HAFNIA-SEAWAYS-in-Cuxhaven  a.jpg

DFDS_increases_RORO_activities_between_Europe_and_the_Baltics_web  a.jpg

Have you tried writing/emailing them Tony. I worked for Stena line and we would often get requests from modellers for details. We could not always give them what we wanted but basic measurements we gave. Try it. Failing that get hold of the world ship society. They are the train spotters of the ship world. They know everything. Again we used to get them onboard for tug spotting trips to rotterdam. They hoovered up figures and dimensions. A couple of magazines worth looking into is sea breezes or ships monthly. You will find addresses in them for helpful people.

try this for starters. Tell them what you want and why you want it.

https://www.dfds.com/contact-us/general

cheers

Mark

Edited by markgd

Hi Mark, many thanks for the contact link for DFDS, I decided to have a go be interesting if they reply, it is afternoon in the UK now, fingers crossed, pure awesome if they can provider  line drawing and measurements of my ship..

What a shame I was first interest in a Stena RO, RO ship same thing only a side plan to work by,  I  got interested in DFDS  and Finnlines because I was going to model  the double deck bridge between Denmark and Sweden, was going to cost me too much money to build, designing my own double deck bridge with a 14 foot main span,, coat hanger design arch like the Sydney Harbor bridge. 

Looking at different design arches where I don't have to buy a full sheet of ply and waste so much when marking out the arch, my layout is a module design why it is taking so long to build and on my own no help.

bridge3.jpg

I managed to get some work done on the front car port end corner module  yesterday had to fix it up, worked on the module join to the approach module so I can pull the two modules apart, amazing what you can do with wood, got to fix up the front car port end as the top ply wasn't cut square, easy fix pics to follow .

A sad day yesterday, decided to get rid of the wood lathe to make room in the garden shed for the station modules and keep the wife happy, wood is an issue rather dear to buy  and  no one in Ipswich,  not going to living here for ever now will have to down size in a couple of years, so long as I have some enjoyment running trains, won't be able to take the layout.

It looks like I won't be finishing my station complex, only having the three modules, be looking for a different station building  or cut back Sydney Central, some changes to the first station module and northern corner module. not in hurry want to get the trains up and running.

Last week of  Queensland election be busy every day till Friday, having Friday off to rest up for voting day on Saturday booth captain at a polling booth close to me full on day, back into a big push on the layout module construction,next week.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

As  I said here are the pics of what I did on the progress of the layout corner model northern end ,   wood is amazing you can fix up a mistake with ease, still not a 100 percent fix but I am worrying about that too much now, aim is get the trains up and running.

Pic 3  I need to do the same with that end , didn't cut the ply square when I was at the wood supplier  cutting the full 12 mm sheet of ply to put in my car with back seats down, plan to buy tow more full sheets will get them delivered .

Pics 4&5, pic 4 I be pulling the track up and cutting that extension off and the with the small extension in pic five and replace with a lift out bridge,  shifting the bus wire  plugs to the end of each module being easier to connect to the plugs, will do that after fixing up the northern end corner module.

I am looking at Sydney Central station building, will be modifying it even more to fit into my station complex since I may not be building the other needed three modules, be full swing to it is too  hot to work outside, I am still planning my double deck road rail bridge for my ship scene.

Some good news waiting on the owners to send me plans of the Ro, Ro  ship I am modelling, southern end I be having a 30 ft ramp leading up to the bridge and northern end  a spiral , I  hope to  next week paint the two black F7/ B shell for my Santa Fe super Chief train project.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg