Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Hi Tony,

just caught your link on Micks page about the model railway magazine.

http://www.modelrailwayvillage.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've discussed this over a few months. You can check back through my log "Rossi railway in the sun" (page 22 and bottom page 24) for a few pointers on it.

Some of the mags are being sent over to me with all the goodies that are attached etc.

A lot of us did clamour for the midland style carriage on the first issue. i was quite pleased with it, although recently it's started to derail. Not sure if it's the coupling (which does seem a bit on the low side ) or mis-aligned wheels.

Purchased a couple of packs of coach wheels from the Liverpool firm recently, so might have a look at that.

Can't grumble for the money though!

Hi Rossie, yeah those Midland coaches have been going like hot cakes over here too a few of the train club (AMRA QLD Branch) members have been going mad too buying them, will be ringing one of the news agents this morning to see if the orders have come in, I am after 6 as I want to be able to get hold of a dinner and a brake guards van of the same colour.

One of the club members has realigned the coaches and replaced the couplers, they could have something to do with Bachman as the loco that comes with the series could be a Bachman , as usual probably be put out by China, can't complain about the price though,$7.99 over here will have to wait to when the loco comes out, will go quick too.

Trying to find out what he has done may of just replaced the wheels.

Had a look on your log some real good feed back on those coaches, will have to wait ill when my orders come in.

aussietmrail said:

....How do you add the smiley pics

You mean the smilies you can see to the right as you're typing your post? You make sure your cursor is where you want the smiley to be seen and then you click the smiley you want. The software inserts the code that's needed for the smiley to be displayed when your post is viewed (NOTE: you won't see the actual smiley as you type your post). For instance, for a very happy face such as :D the inserted code will be ':D' (but without the ' ')

Here is my track plan of Candle layout, main features is the Tehachapi loop and the station complex modelled on Sydney Central station NSW.

The platforms are 15 feet long with 8 platforms, Sydney has 25 platforms, the station area has 7 modules and whole area is 27 feet long, layout length is 54 feet long by 30feet wide , stage one,

stage two I will adding a 19foot road rail bridge at the side of the house, modelled on the Elizabeth River bridge Darwin line, which opened in 2004 to Darwin from Alice Springs Adelaide, the Ghan train.

You can have a look on Google Earth and see how big Sydney is in size would take up my whole pergola are I modelled all the platforms, since I have the Indian Pacific train I had to model platform one of course where the IP pulls in,4 country link platforms and 4 city link platforms.

I ended up before adding on two pics and couldn't get rid of one when I saw I could delete the post which I did, the pic was too big and I made it too small, this one is ok, I might redraw the station area to a bigger scale .

Nice day hope to get a bit of work done on the spiral. http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Mick will give that a go with adding a smiley, that didn't work, will get there.

DSCF0866  a.jpg

The spiral is now ready, for the track laying, I may complete the top section first get it out the way, it took time to get the upright posts the right height, had a couple of goes on a couple of them.

At least I didn't have to do much in the way as cutting the up rights the gravel did that all I had to do was dig out the gravel to get the grade right as you will see in the first couple of pics with the level how I did it making a special jig.

Will have to give the ply a few good coats of paint where it is sitting in the gravel, the layout wont be set up permanent, where I have dug the gravel or will put a paver in for the ply to sit on.

Have worked out how I am going to spiral deck in pic 5, since there will be ply sides for the cutting I will use the ply to screw to the tunnel portal, I use that copper coated computer circuit board for the module track joins , before I used screws this time track nails and cut the track with a saw disk.

I am glad I built the tunnel module that way as it does not move at all, I have it marked where the module goes on the floor, can't go wrong that way.

Does anyone know how to work out grades, I think on my spiral it is 3 percent, the height at the tunnel is 9 inches and spiral length is 23 feet dropping down 3/8 inches a foot, the jig I made is 1/5/16 inch drop in every 3 and a half feet, spiral diameter is 7feet.

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

004 a.jpg

005 a.jpg

Hi Griff,

Yeah the layout is going to be a long project and I hope I can pull it off, the reason of the size is I like single track operation, adds all the fun when you have another friend over running trains too.

Sitting at a passing loop for the on coming train to clear the single track and get the green signal to go, my layout is DC control and planning to have four controllers, two could be used for shunting, I am using those four way rotary switches with three poles.

That means all that block wiring.

Gliff here is that link to the NR class locos, I will get you some more links of our Aussie model locos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NR_class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/products_page.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wuiskemodels.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=348ef91ed97ba3b154c9a738c646c6d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this link takes you to the 4,000 class loco shells, not ready to run but you can get a standard gauge chassis to fit the shell.

The Auscision models are in HO1/87 scale, in QLD the gauge narrow gauge and we have some of the biggest diesel locos ever build to run on 3ft-6inch narrow gauge and Tilt trains too, the models over here use 12mm track and you can get hold of duel track also .

DSCF0878 b.jpg

I am finely under way and got the whip out on the track gang and did some serous track and point laying today, ha, ha.

It sure took some time to get that single slip cross over lined up right so the trains can glide through there nicely into the platforms, I could of got a second cross over to access the second set of platforms, but I wanted the tracks to be as close as possible to the way Sydney Central is on to tracks thee, four and five. The points on track three should be near the platform two and three, it would be too much wiring and an extra small block just for a foot of track.

The way I have the two modules set up while nailing the track down on saw stools is how I am going to do it on all of the modules, will be able to solder in place on the module joins the computer circuit copper boards to hold the track in place, no actual kneeing down doing it, same with the curved sections.

I have got three sets of pics on how I mark out the big radius curves with my beam compass, used to use a tape measure before, this is a hell of a lot easier.

with the other end of the beam compass on the painters trestle I made a better base to get the clamps out the way and I can move the base out on the size of the radius with ease.

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003  a.jpg

Got some more track and point nailed down today on the second module, but have found I will have to shift two points where the three way point is.

In pic one where the point is on its own I will be putting two points one being a wye point, so when the Indian Pacific is coming back out of left track it can go onto the right track, that is the fist two tracks on the left of pic one.

Gong to be good when I finely run the first train, will be doing a video clip of the big event too.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

Hi Tony I'm Roy from the Blue Mountains NSW. That layout is looking good and isn't the new Ryobi drill a ripper. I managed to convince my work to buy me the air blower with lithium batteries so now I can buy other tools from the 'One' range and use the work batteries on those.

Australian models have come on a lot in recent years although due to a smaller population they are much more expensive than British models. The Eureka Models '38' is great but the sounds are from the U.S. It's like having a Big Boy with Duchess sounds.

Roy.

Hi Roy, many thanks for the kind words, it is great to hear from Aussie modellers that are modelling the same railway.

Yeah I have had that Ryobi drill for a while now , got the torch to go with it, love it because the batteries last quite a while bwing18 volts and you can quick charge any time, shouted my self a Ryobi chain saw too, mind you it took three goes before I got a good saw, first two were shockers, one wouldn't start and other one had a fault in the motor.

Finished off the points today put in those plastic track joiners for the blokes, still have to fix up the furthest point and track on the right side of the module, want to straight the curve track up a lot more than is now.

Those four blue coaches represent two suburban trains as I will have suburban island platform on the layout, would love to have a set of Sydney's double deck trains, pure awesome.

The spur track you can see is for when I am running the Ghan train and modelling Darwin station, the spur is for the two NR Ghan locos so they can get refuelled heading back to Adelaide.

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Your layout seems like an impressive endeavor. Lots of points and lots of track. Your module approach is much different than most of our layouts, so I am curious to see how it works out as you keep building more layout.

I can't wait to see some of it in place permanently. It'll be fun to see some staged shots of big aussie trains; something I know very little about.

It seems like your car port is going to be taken up by trains. Have you considered a removable section so you can get the car in still, or else going with a chest high layout for better viewing and then the front end of your car can just slide under the layout?

Also it seems like your shade layout won't suffer the amount of water damage that our fully outdoor layouts do. And it may provide some protection from sun damage as well.

I got three of the coaches from from your model railway village today, very nice coaches, got a bit of weight in the too, can you take the roof of, I would like to add seating in them.

Be looking forward to be getting the other 5 cars and the restaurant car coming from Britain. :P

Bought that Peco double slip cross over today too, got 10 percent knocked off the price, usually cost $74, I got it for $66, not bad, now the big job to swap the three way point for the cross over and move the three way down to replace two single points. ;)

top job with that village, I reckon the real tree trunks blend in with the scene and I agree what Griff said about the over size grass matting looks like a field of crops, modellers over here in Australia do the same idea, nice affect, well done be looking forward to what you have planned with those your model railway village kits, do you have the in that lot.

DSCF0899 a.jpg

Thanks Griff,

I have gone the same way Mick has with his station platforms in a shed but my station platforms is under a pergola at the back of the house, looking at making the sections in such a way I can link them up in under the pergola so I can run trains if it is raining.

Have always dreamed of modelling Sydney Central and the Tehachapi loop for ages, now I am.

Here I have a couple of pics of the last module layout I built, 35 feet by 16 feet, on two levels, the big shift to garden railway was the leg issue of the module layout, all the legs had to be adjustable because of the floor now being level. Was taking too long In figuring out how to bolt them to the modules and setting the layout up on my own, made the mistake f having 7 foot modules too heavy.

Bought the Peco double slip cross over today, get stuck in pulling up the three way point and moving it back to replace three single points, going to be good when finished will also drill the holes for the point motors or what ever I use to switch the points.

Trains running again 001 a.jpg

Trains running again 002 a.jpg

• Like 1

The blocks Mick has used for his viaduct Tony are called Thermalite in the UK and are made by Hansons, (or were). We have Hansons here but the don't make Thermalite blocks as they don't consider it being part of their core business. I asked them. Perhaps apples are their core business.

The nearest product available here is Hebel blocks from Bunnings. They are all 600mm in length, all pure white and come in various thicknesses. They are usually in the outdoor part with the breeze blocks and stick out like a 'new tooth in an old ladies mouth.'

Roy.

Thanks Roy,

I checked out Bunning for those Hebel blocks while the car was in Toyota this afternoon, the lady said you can use a knife to carve the block, be a good project if I modelled the Tehachapi loop hill.

will have to go to a bigger Bunning to get the Hebel blocks at different sizes , they are on Bunning web site, my Bunning only has one size.

IMG_1250.jpg

Here is the latest pic of my Hornby 12 wheel Restaurant car, slightly darker that the maroon coaches from your model railway village, be pretty awesome when the other 5 on order arrive should be any day now.

Haven't decided on what British diesel loco to buy, will see how much birthday money I get at the end of June.

Still going a head with fixing up the pickup issue with the Flying Scotsman between the tender and drive wheels on the boiler, going to replace that with permanent jumper wires like Bachman do their tender driver steamies and the same with the water tender which will have a motor in it too. ;););)

001  a.jpg

002 a.jpg

Been busy yesterday replacing the three way with a double slip cross over and moving the three way back further, sure is a big improvement.

Now to finish off the next module and join them up and so on, 7 modules all up.

The main line has three though track so a freight train can pass through on the centre track, which has the double slip cross over on it .

The track the two trains are on heads to an island platform, on the through traffic there is four platforms and four platforms on the terminus track, the gray roof coaches are those Your Model Railway Village and second one from the front of the pic is the Hornby Restaurant car.

DSCF0907 a.jpg

DSCF0908 A.jpg

DSCF0912  a.jpg

DSCF0913  a.jpg

Nice work. I see you're into weather stations too. My first station has a display panel just like the one in your photo.

I also like the 12 wheel coaches but I sold my maroon LMS one in favour of the Hornby Pullman's - one of which can be seen http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90' here. Really nice looking coaches and can often be found at a discount.

If you're going to motorise the water tender on your Flying Scotsman, like I've done, make it totally independant, self contained, it makes it so much easier to be able to use it with other loco's as all you will have to do is change the body colour of the second tender. Keep on original as in LNER and do the second body in Br Green without any other markings. This allows you to use it as its being used today behind the likes of Britannia,s or A4's running in Br green.

Ian