Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Havn't being able to do any work on the layout for a couple of weeks, amazing something so small can stuff you right up, yesterday was cooler so I made the most of it no actually work on the module but have improved the mock-up points plan on the approach module coming from the car port, ready to if tomorrow isn't a hot one, will finish the last front module off, set it up to level and cut the legs.

I be able to set all the front modules and spiral and it starts all over again painting ailing down track and doing the bus wiring, can't start on the back bridge till I start on the grade from the front modules down the back of the layout , two percent grade about 30 feet in length.

The top pic I will need another single slip cross over on the last point close to the end of the module to a third track which will be on another board till I build the other three modules for the station complex, the points will going access to 6 terminus platforms stage one, three more platforms. on the main line, right end of the module.

The bottom pic at the other end where the red box is the main line , need one more point and diamond cross over, bus wiring be a challenge.

One more week to go and all over in one day.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head ;);)

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

Finely managed to get some wanted work done on the last approach module drilled the holes for the bolts all I need to do now is set up the South end station module, cut the temporary legs and clamp them on the two modules, level and mark them ready to cut the new legs, bingo all the front modules completed, next step is paint them ready to start all over again with track and point layout never ending.

Humidity is the killer here now and very unstable weather wise, storms can build up so quickly like one did in the afternoon, we were lucky just got the edge of it, nice morning today not sure if I will get the chance to level the modules with more rain and storms predicted for today, have to pick the cooler days, happy I am on the way, the rest of the layout has only got 6inch decking for double track and 3inch for single track, only got a couple more 6foot straights and a couple of 7foot curve track to be cut, be great if I can complete the first circuit by April don't think so.

Happy with the module join once I tightened the bolts up but will get wing nuts as it will be hard trying to tighten the bols p lower to the ground, I levelled the two modules on the saw horses and painters trestle, this is how I nail the track down especially on the module join and cut the track no way will I be on my knees only to bolt the modules together, too easy.

Be well worth the effort to see the first train complete the first circuit, and yes be having a ribbon cutting ceremony for the first train across the bridge and he last spike.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head :D:);):roll::roll:

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Hi Thomas, congratulations winning the lottery, you can send some of your winning luck over here I could do with the same luck :D:):o:roll::lol: we will be seeing lots of pics soon.

The sane with you and your family Thomas.

Cooler tomorrow, hopping to get the last two approach modules to level them and mark the legs and cut them, a storm is predicted for the afternoon might not get a chance to set up the rest of the front modules and spiral, Thursday is cooler as well.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

38.jpg

Hi Thomas, I thought you had won the big one, yes nice to dream we will have a big lotto draw next Saturday new years

Yeah have it planed what I would buy and yes be able to complete my dream layout in stile

From today till Christmasday is going to be cooler so I will be making most of it,29 degrees, a shame I have to mow the grass today, with the battery mower doesn't like wet grass, might get a chance to get the last two front modules and level the up, then I can start painting them got 7 to paint, if the days are too hot can bring a module inside the house bathroom is big enough and nail the rack down and do the bus wiring in the cool.

How is your layout going :?::?:

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

While most of us seem to make progress in fits and starts we can always rely on 'Tony from Down Under' to keep plodding on and it seems there's barely a few days go by without another progress update. I admire your dedication and tenacity.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these modules come together for that inaugural running. Have you decided what's going to make that first run? Make sure you have a video camera at the ready to capture the event for us!

Hi Mick, thanks for the kind words this is what keeps me pushing along to one day the layout be completed so close now all the hard carpentry gang is nearly done of the front modules. Hope tomorrow isn't going to be too humid when I level the last two approach modules southern end of the layout the rest of the decking are only six inches wide for double track, most of the curved sections are cu out now for a couple, getting a Bunning gift card for Christmas will buy two full sheets of ply, pics to follow tomorrow night.

Have you finished doing with your platforms inside the shed, those wooden shed are they flat pack and you all you do is screw them together, is it cooler in them summer time all we have are the steel garden sheds very hot in summer, I have a couple of trees that shade my shed haven't had any problem with modules twisting got a good frame on them that will stop that problem , I need a air-con work shop, win the lotto be nice.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head. ;):roll::roll::):P

My wooden shed arrived in sections Tony (2 sides, 2 ends, 1 floor and 2 roof sections) and as you rightly assumed, you just screw it all together. It still gets warm in summer when the door is closed but it's fine once the door's opened. Perhaps if I added insulation it would help, so I may consider that later. I can't begin to imagine how warm a metal shed gets when exposed to the kind of extreme temperatures you experience over there. Fortunately we don't have the need for air conditioning for more than a couple of days per year - should that be fortunately or unfortunately?

My layout is exactly the same as it was back in summer. I've done nothing to it since then. That will change soon.

I never play our National Lottery so I'll just have to keep plodding along as I am but if you do ever happen to be the one.....don't forget who your friends are!

Wishing you and your family a great Xmas Tony and all the very best for the coming year.

Hi Mick do you need a hand to put the wooden sheds together especially the roof section, my shed had all bolts and wall sections not in one full piece my wife had to help me tighten the bolts up most of the steel sheds are like your wooden shed.

I would love a second shed to set the wood lathe up presently and work shop, not much room left with the layout modules, our yard has a steep sloop in it cost a lot to put in a concrete slab, have to do with one shed.

Yeah I am the same Mick as you struggle on and every now and then ask my wife if I can buy some ply , track or points, early next year I will need a third diamond cross over and large radius Peko express point that will complete the first track circuit.

Working on the layout today should of yesterday was a perfect day not too hot or humid , today is supposed to be the same, pics to follow, Boxing day I will set up all the front modules and spiral, going to keep on moving to the bridge, all the decking is cut all I need to do is bolt them together and level them which be a two percent grade, got a special jig made up for the level, some good levels have that option attachment on them .

Hopefully next year see some action by May , video of the big event, be worth the effort in the end to see trains running smoothly.

Have to agree be nice to dream winning the big one would settle for a second price enough to buy a new car and some more trains, they always have a big lottery on the Saturday after Christmas, not a problem Mck.

You and your family have a great Christmas and new year as well, what's your plans for Christmas day, nice to have a white Christmas.

2013 Merry Christmas and 2014 New Year Greetings Facebook Status.jpg

Made the most of it today with the low humidity 30 degree temp, I fishing levelling the two approach modules cut the legs to size but I did have problems with tightening up the nuts so will need the wing nuts, it is much easier to have four legs on the longer modules to make it easier to line them up and tighten the wing nuts. Will have to be wing nuts as well on the last small approach module, this will be the only time I will be on my knees, got those knee pads which stops getting sore knees, wont get back to the layout till next week now when I will setting up all the front modules and spiral be a big site indeed, wiring be plug and play too easy.

All I did today was screw the legs in place temporary till I drill the holes for the bolts was running out of time \.

Past the last straight module in the car port will be a curve section 7ft radius onto two 6ft straight sections double tack passing the car onto single track 7ft curve section onto the back corner module onto the 24ft span cable stay bridge back onto the spiral, 54 feet in length

Hope the weather say like this rain coming in after Christmas that will keep the temp down but not the humidity which is the killer here, January February being the worsted months.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head , ( merry Christmas) :D;):roll::P:mrgreen:

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

Hi Tony

I got some stones from the construction site at the harbor. Beautiful roughly carved sandstone.

Otherwise winter is here.

But got a new Acela Express for Christmas. *yes!*

Merry Xmas

Thomas

PS: I search for a translation for the german word "behauen" and I used 'carved' now, but my Smartphone recommended me to use the word 'hewn' instead.

Is that real a word in English?

Hi Thomas nice what did you get the add-on coaches as well, I was going to get the Acela Express got the TGV instead have Amtrak Superliner set with two AMD103 diesel locos going to repaint them to the latest phase 5 Acela colour scheme next year and I want to model Amtrak's Auto train all up 16 superliners, I need 7 more plus 20 auto carriers will have to scratch build the awesome train indeed don't think I will have 2o carriers though.

Concentrating on the layout now be slow going this week only a couple days left with mild weather back in the very high 30's into the low 40's this weekend, lots of project to do in the nice cool house.

happy new year, Tony from down under keeping on moving a head.

Happy to say I am on track on a high but sadly I did cut the layout back 2 feet which works out much better in the car port area with the single track curve, even the measurements are spot on, now the job is to level the track to a 2 percent grade, what I have being told 1in 50 my duel powered tender drive Flying Scott will have no problems handling the grade, the single track decking has a 7foot radius curve, could have a mountain scene to hide the car with a curved viaduct, also I could have a wheat silo siding as well.

Will have to wait to a cooler day some time next week, going to be a stinker of a hot weekend, can now make a start on painting the station modules and drill the holes and counter sunk the holes for the le bolts on the first approach module, up early in the morning to start painting

at the northern end of the layout all I have is two single track decking to cut out and the same with the bridge decking be buying hopefully three full sheets of 12 mmm ply be enough to complete the whole layout, full swing when autumn arrives in a couple of months fingers crossed can run the first train by May, WOW can't wait, pity I can't complete the whole station complex as well the last three modules will have to wait a while.

Will be modelling East Perth Indian Pacific terminal first a second station building be across between the real EP station building and a Union station like Denver in Colorado.

On a high, Tony from down under keeping moving a head :D:);):o:roll:

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did some modifying on the first station module yesterday, so in the future I can change the station scene to a different station with ease, be modelling East Perth station first can't start on Sydney Central till I build the second set of three modules , that wont happen till late this year.

The first pic and last pic is what I be modelling, this first pic to the bottom left of the pic, the second middle with the IP NR class loco and third middle is what I be modelling first I made the ply top easy to lift out, I forgot there is a second walk way heading up to the access tunnel to suburban platforms, fix it later.

The second pic with the IP loco I have modelled the track pretty close to the track in the pic, lots of fun also there is a loading ramp for the auto carrier, a bit more modifying to fit in the siding.

Should get up early and do some work on the layout before it starts to heat up, humidity is the killer now and weather so unstable, can't wait till March, still be some warm days.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head ;):):roll::P:o

001  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Indian Pacific departing E Perth.jpg

cf668f4a5ccf9502beabc4ed7d48330cfaa3dcab  a.jpg

Part two of modifying the first station module.

The first pic the reason I have made it that way is because of the walk way road level to the bus terminal will be modelling the brick arches out of 6mm ply and marking the bricks, pic two four and five is what I be modelling, lots of work a head wont happen till after the trains are up and running.

Happy new year to you to Mick hope you had a good Christmas as well

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head

IMG_0855  a.jpg

IMG_0870  a.jpg

IMG_0856  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, admin said:

I've almost lost the will to live O.o  How on earth have you managed to get 3 of every attached image inserted in your posts!!

All the offenders have been eliminated Tony. Your clear to carry on.

Hi is that you Mick, yeah when I opened the new link I was stunned to as you say 3 sets of pics to you answer no idea but had a look on other post same was happening I am glad it is sorted out, actually thumbs up to the new web site I haven't yet tried posting any pics but will next post.

What will happen to the old  forum will that disappear, happy spell check is there  :grin:,

It is bloody hot here send some snow  to cool  us down,9_9they say it will be in the low 40's next week only Sunday is the coolest day will make the most of it, want to set up all the front modules  be an awesome site indeed.

Yes that was me under my 'admin' guise Tony.  Don't worry about it. Most of the threads had double images posted but you went one better. It's something to do with the way you posted attachments and the way the forum 'converter' interpreted that. I think you'll find the new forum is a marked improvement - I certainly have.

I must admit that when I discovered the task involved in transferring the forum over I almost did what others have done before me and started afresh but I'm glad I persevered now. I can see things coming together. Happy posting!

It looks like I replied in the place, take a while to  get used to the new forum posts pretty awesome , will have a go at posting pics on this post .

That was pretty easy thumbs up 10 out of ten , first pic is how I wires the duel tender drive tenders of my Flying Scot, runs well but having an issue of what to connect the two tenders together, tried kadee's didn't work looks like I will have to go back to a draw bar, I think it is the stiff wires that are causing the issue , to hard to change.

Next job is sort out those your model railway coaches still having problems going through points, being so cheap can spend some money replacing even the bogies wheels and body mounting the kadee's.

It is dam hot here no work on the layout hopping Sunday be cooler want to set up all the front modules be an awesome site indeed.

l

IMG_1118 a.jpgIMG_1119  a.jpg