Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Thanks Mick,

Got a lot more work a head on the station complex track and points, back into the next module tomorrow, going to get those modules out the way and then move back to the Tehachapi loop project.

Yeah, we have had a lot of trouble with the extreme summer heat in South East QLD, cooking the sola panels on two weather stations, that inside unit you saw was of the first unit, didn't know at the time all I could of done was replace the rechargeable batteries with normal double a batteries, kept that inside unit because it worked with the second one we have now. The same happened with this outside solar panel unit got cooked with last summers heart on that real hot day we had 48 degrees still at 4pm in the afternoon, lost a few plants in the garden also that day

I decided to change the batteries and to my surprise it worked and now when it rains all day we don't lose the outside unit.

Those Hornby 12 wheel Pullman coaches are awesome, would love a set of them but are pretty expensive to buy over here, how many are on a train, I knew someone that had 6 of them.

Edited by Guest

Hi Ian,

The big question is how did you wire up your powered water tender to work with other locos, the only way would of had to add brass pick ups to the centre wheels on the tender my friend yesterday was telling me he knew someone that did that with the motor in the tender, will look into that, the other way is to run wires through to the front tender motor.

Happy I now got my flying Scotsman running again had an issue with the pin on the tender was lose and was shorting out, was driving me nuts and the same with my friend till he decided to check the pin, bingo worked, he put some weight in the boiler chassis too.

Haven't been though all your layout posts but from what I have seen is pure awesome, haven't come across any video clips, nice to see them running on your layout, notices in a pic you have a model of the Britain's answer to their first tilt train and what a shame it never got off the ground , be hard to get hold of now .

Edited by Guest

I am finely away on the second module to the station complex, all the track and points are in now and shifted them forward so the points heading into the platforms are on that one model, I still need to add two points so the Indian Pacific can access the left hand track onto the main line, 5 more modules to go, haven't decided if I will motorise them or not, will leave that till later.

I just put in the ply as mock-up platforms to show where the platforms are going, there is another double platform going on the left side of the module too and another module will be joining in there too being part of the main line.

At the moment there are 20 points, need another seven points to complete the station track complex.

Here is a you tube video of Sydney central station with the Indian Pacific coming into platforms two and three, when it is peak times the train consists is 26 cars long plus the auto carrier and two locos, my IP has 16 passenger car and two locos. Will also be modelling the auto carrier siding. :D:);)

Have seen some other you tube on Sydney Central with the Indian pacific which got me motivated into modelling Sydney Central, if you do a search on Google Earth you will see the amount of points involved and cross overs, my platforms are to the right HO scale length to fit all the 16 passenger cars of the IP in off peak times platform one.

DSCF0914 a.jpg

DSCF0915 a.jpg

DSCF0916  a.jpg

Hate to be pedantic Tony but here I go....Sydney Central Station is where the suburban trains come in and the Indian Pacific comes into Sydney Terminal Station. So the Indian Pacific, Interurban, XPTs, Explorers and steam tours etc only use Sydney Terminal Station.

For those who don't live in New South Wales Australia the two stations are side by side or parallel to each other.

On leaving the two stations heading in a westerly direction one comes to the flying junction where the lines to the Illawarra diverge and also the "dive" to the old Eveleigh Loco depot which runs from the extreme right to the extreme left. So it tunnels under all the lines.

The Illawarra lines diverge again between Redfern and McDonaldtown stations. The Illawarra line goes down the south coast to Wollongong, Port Kembla and Nowra.

Some people have trouble pronouncing our place names such as Wooloomooloo, which for an aussie just rolls off the tongue.

Roy.

Hi Roy,

No worries there, though I would get you interested, yeah you are right about the Terminal station platforms, I am only modelling four platforms with the suburban trains will have four platforms there but the only difference will be is three tracks mainly because I will be modelling East Perth Terminal station where the Indian Pacific comes in . There is also a suburban island platform all I have to do is hide the other terminal platforms all the fun with your own layout, easy done.

Actually there are also some second lower level platforms under the suburban platforms as you can see the ramps from platform one in the video clip, am I right there.

Hopping to have the clock tower will see how I go, my station building won't be as long as the real building, should look ok.

Thinking about scratch building a set of Sydney's double deck trains, got the XPT in 00 scale though and Lima 3801 will be able to bring in the 3801 while the IP is parked in the station platform, be nice to have a couple of sets of those Explorer cars too, can't wait.

Edited by Guest

Don't know about the platforms underneath Central as I thought the ramps were the entrance/exit for passengers and also the way of getting to the terminal platforms. There are what they call "ghost" platforms at Sydney Terminal. Platforms that were put in but never used.

It's odd that the suburban station is called Central when it isn't central and it's not in the CBD. I think Town Hall underground station is much more centrally located than Central Station.

Unlike London we have no separate "tube" network and the underground stations in Sydney are all built to take mainline gauged stock. Also like the "tube" there are lights in the tunnels but ours are on 24/7 not just on for maintenance and the first and last train of the day as is the case with the "London Tube".

There have been occasions where steam locos have been over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. To take that route they need to go via the underground stations Town Hall and Wynyard. They had an electric loco either an 85 or 86 class co-co hauling them in "light steam" as there are no ventilation shafts in the underground tunnel system. The Underground was built for electric traction only.

When my dad worked at Milson's Point (just over the "Coat Hanger") Sydney Harbour Bridge near North Sydney I used to go on the train to see him and have lunch at the companies private club. I thought that the ride in the train was comfortable. But the trains have windows in the ends of the coaches and I used to watch the next coach bucking and swaying around in the tunnels.

Roy.

Hi Roy, Thanks for the info.

Yeah I have heard of the ghost platforms at Sydney Central, I have a niece that lives in Sydney now, will ask my sister if she can take some pics of Sydney Central, don't know how she will go, will probably have to ask if she could first, would like some pics of inside the station area where you walk in.

Those underneath platforms aren't wheel chair or old age friendly either , don't think there is any lifts to them ,been trying to get the access for years now, also been trying to get some more info on the station platforms what they are used for, did get one but I think it will be too big to put in the post, have a link on some of the platforms but not all of them.

They used to call the older Sydney's Electrics a nick name can't think of it now, could the name be Sydney rattlers.

That would of been not so good when the steam locos went through the underground station at Sydney with all the steam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfern_railway_station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited by Guest

The nick name for the old single deck suburban trains was "Red Rattlers". The electrification of the Sydney network started in 1926. The tunnels under the city were done on the cut and cover method. No steam locos have ever powered through the tunnels but have gone through in light steam but always piloted by an electric loco or diesel. The tunnels were constructed for the electrification. After all the Harbour Bridge didn't open until 1932. The locos which used to run the suburban services before electrification were the 30 class 4-6-4 tanks. After electrification many were converted to 4-6-0 tender engines to replace aged 4-4-0's on country branch lines. Many also went north to Newcastle to run suburban services there. Originally there were 145 30 class tank locos.

Thanks Roy, was on the right track with the Sydney electric's called the Red Rattlers, yeah we have some stations like Sydney Central too, Brisbane Central which has a big building above it now and Toowong station has a shopping centre above that platforms also. Would of been unpleasant for the waiting passengers while waiting at the platform when a steam train went through.

Even though I don't mind steam locos, took my son on a trip to Toowoomba with QR's Garratt pulling the train at that time, had light colours shoes on and they were black by the time we got home, made the mistake and rode in the last carriage, had trouble with my asthma going though the tunnels too, QR's only Garratt is on display at the Ipswich workshops museum, had issues with the cab, was retired.

How is the weather treating you in the Blue mountains, must be dropping down pretty low in single figures by now, has up here, 7 degrees when we got out of bed this morning and dropping down to 2 degrees tomorrow night, will get a visit from Jack Frost for sure and that will be the end of the green grass, only takes one night.

How is the progress of your layout going, was too cold yesterday to work on mine 19 degrees all it got too .

Tony

Edited by Guest

Aussietmrail,

The APT (Advanced Passenger Train) was made by Hornby back in 1980 with a full yellow front. The black and yellow front model was made 1980 to 1984. Both are now highly collectable and go for silly prices on the dreaded Fleabay. However this is not a complete train as there are three units missing, as there should be another power unit and two more passenger coaches. To make it correct I've got to purchase another complete APT, preferably a non-runner, and do a fair amout of butchery. More on this once I manage to lay my hands on another APT set.

As for the twin tendered Scotsman, its playing silly buggers and its now a game of hide and seek in the caravan, which was where it was put after the last time I had it out. At the same time I will also look to getting the 16 coach rake with class 37 and Ethel out for pictures only, as at present the GGR itself needs quite a large amout of work doing to make it work again. Found out by pure chance that at present my main power source from the shed to the oputside has been cut by accident by me, OOPPPS :oops: . Once I get that sorted then I might be able to get some sort of service running again. until then I can only run any of my stock when I get the boards out.

As far as vidoe's go for the GGR, there are a few but they are posted on my Facebook account. So if you are that desperate to see them all I can suggest is that you ''friend'' me on Facebook. Griff has and has seen what is run around the GGR, but I will give you fair warning, shades are required for at least one vidoe clip. :lol:

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thought the APT set was just a five car set, 8 car train,very nice, I did start scratch building an APT set many years back when I couldn't get hold of a set from our hobby shops, didn't know about eBay back then. would of been in the early 90's.

You want to hurry up if you plan to buy a extra set for your project, going fast on eBay, still a few listed on British eBay, I saved one link will finish this post off and send I, then come back and edit the post with the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-British-Rail-APT-Inter-City-/351093342078?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item51becb3f7e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forward to seeing those rake of 16 coaches and the two locos, be awesome, will have to wait till you find the Flying Scotsman, it will turn up.

Had a look on your face book page very good what I saw and the way you did your web site very interesting.

Just found out by my son , he told me I had to have a face book page myself to become a friend on yours, he said he set me up tomorrow, takes about an hour to do I he said, all to with circuitry took some time to feel my way around windows 8, like windows 7 much better

Tony

Edited by Guest

On a high my latest purchase from UK eBay a Hornby special addition Flying Scotsman with double tenders and yes the water tender will be powered, will help on the grades on my layout with a long 10 plus passenger cars, be awesome, hopeful sice the postage was pretty dear it is express post and the seller did say 4 days, arrive in time for next Tuesday when I go to my train club, pics to follow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-FLYING-SCOTSMAN-LIMITED-EDITION-PRESENTATION-SET-/271523044935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

If you click on the pic with the ended words will bring up more pics.

Tony

I have found a good pic of Tehachapi loop of the entrance to tunnel nine Tehachapi loop and yes I GOT PERMISSION FROM THE PHOGOTRAPHER TO POST A COUPLE OF HIS PICS.

Got another one I have to yet resize and was hopping to take some pics of my Indian Pacific today but not to be.

If you can notice close to the tunnel portal there is a couple of poles with solar panels on them and a closed white box on the ground, does anyone know what they would be used for, or something to do with signals. :?::?:

Tony.

004.jpg a.jpg

Here is the second close up pic as you can see the solar panels much clearer , they could be to do sensors maybe as there is an orange wire cable connected to the track, I will be modelling the scene on my TL module. :);)

This work has happen in the last couple of years.

Tony...

005 a.jpg

Hard to tell. And I'm no expert on these things. It could be some kind of drag detector for loose parts. Doesn't look like a signal. I see some kind of antenna on it. It may be a occupancy detector, or flood detector for the tunnel with an automated radio voice message.

Go join trainboard.com and post about it. I bet someone there can hook you up with info on it.

Griff of course the last one on the radio antenna rings a bell as I have the Ultimate Tehachapi loop DVD, 8 hours of pure magic and there is another radio antenna further down and it is automated gives out weather reports and condition of the line ahead.

I know a friend in my train club that went over just to visit the Tehachapi loop a few years back, he only goes on a Saturday as he is in the Australian regular army and yep he does model a military train 40 wagons, American will have dig out the you tube link he took of it on the train club layout, will ask him, he is into the big boys and DD40AX's Athearn.

Tony.

Just found another pic from the same photographer I tried pasting form my album didn't work, this pic is a view from tunnel 10, on my version Of TL there will be 6ft radius curve coming of the top of the spiral in stead of having that straight section and then the curve.

Tony

6822_1338936398 a.jpg

My birthday present arrive from England today, not bad 6 days to get here, Hornby addition Flying Scotsman 4472 with the duel tenders, ran the loco on the loco on the test track and perfect in both directions, hope the other parcel arrives before Saturday so then I can go to my train club, give her a good run before hooking up to the coaches.

Will have to wait another week before I ill be able to run the whole 11 car maroon train, got a couple of crew figures too, will have to paint them .

Yes I will be modifying the other 5 pole tender and swap over the water tender shell, be awesome. :D:);):lol::P:roll::mrgreen:

Tony.

002 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

Doesn't work first go every time , going to take a while to get used to.

This pic is of Athearn's DD40 , close enough to the DD35, I think EMD used two GP38's , only one model was build, wasn't popular, between the DD35 and Centennial DD40AX's, non of the DD35's were saved, what a shame, only one DD40AX still running in UP's Heritage fleet.6936 which Athearn does have RTR 6936, I had a Bachman painted in UP colours with 6936 running numbers.

image.php?mode=medium&album_id=89&image_id=2745&display=popupimage.php?mode=medium&album_id= ... play=popuphttp://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=89&image_id=2745&display=popup' alt='URL>'>

I have since added the hand rails, really need to get some more replacement hand rails very hard item to get hold of.. :D:);):P:lol:

Edited by Guest