grass-mat

davbopsv

Do you have a link to an image? Not that I would purchase any since shipping is a beast, but curious what you mean by grass mat. Is it like the plastic astroturf stuff?

A while back I came across filter material that looks really good; it is often used for pine trees in indoor layouts.

Hi,

How to describe? Imagine a carpet designed for outside with a rubber base and a pile that is weatherproof and made to replicate very finely cut green grass. It's mainly intended for kids' play-areas I think, but also excellent for "grass" areas near your track where you wont have to cut or weed. Grass-mat is available from scenic-material suppliers for indoor model-railways, but only in rather small-area sheets. The offering from Lidl's was quite a huge roll, standing at least a yard high (probably more) and goodness how many yards long. £5.99 - a real bargain! This stuff is starting to appear now on crazy-golf pitches at sea-sides. (Well, Paignton anyway!) I hope this helps.

I'm on the look out for this kind of stuff. While in London last week Sarah and I popped out to visit Bekonscot and serval things they had done were copyable, including their use of grass matts.

While down pub last night, my mate John told me he'd finally purchased an airbrush for weathering. He bought it during his weekly shop at Lidl, of all places I think I should pay a visit.

I've been to Lidl.

Air-brush and compressor, grass-mat and LED rope light, I've been meaning to pick up a cheap one of the latter for ages, just so I can have a play with it.

The grass mat is much better than I was expecting, it will be interesting to see how it weathers.

Thanks for the tip off.

I find lots of stuff out there, but the prices...

This is organic but maybe with some sort of sealant: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/preservedgrass.html

Not sure if this one is paper backed or not: http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstore/pc/Brama190-Grass-Mat-24-x12-High-Green-Grass-p6183.htm

Then again at a pound each, maybe someone can do some outdoor testing to see how it holds up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grass-mat-and-asphalt-mat-for-model-railway-Not-perfect-/331172323148?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d1b689f4c

The dog potty mats have nice color but the pile is too deep for sure: http://coloradosprings.olx.com/dog-potty-mats-of-synthetic-grass-all-standard-sizes-and-custom-sizes-available-iid-114553635

Looks good, but 7 dollars for 14 square inches is a bit steep! I don't think the foam backing will last long in the garden either. Shame, it looks ok for what it is. Glad that Chris has ventured forth and gained a prize. How long is the roll Chris? Divide by £5.99 and we'll know the cost per foot.

• 2 years later...
chris said:

I've been to Lidl.

Air-brush and compressor, grass-mat and LED rope light, I've been meaning to pick up a cheap one of the latter for ages, just so I can have a play with it.

The grass mat is much better than I was expecting, it will be interesting to see how it weathers.

Thanks for the tip off.

Two year later and I've used some of that grass mat on Amblethorpe. It looks great.

And to repeat myself. It will be interesting to see how it weathers.

Was it really two years ago Chris? My goodness. I'm glad it looks ok - keep us informed about the weathering please. I think it'll be alright as it is designed for outside use and, as you know, Lidl's stuff is usually pretty good. Now, anybody please, what has happened to the marvellous video postings by "Fungus" (Ian)? His railway is truly inspiring and I was wondering how he got on with closed-cell foam under the tracks. Has it lasted well or disintegrated, and how has progress been?

David.

No plans to paint the grass mat. It really looks the part. Some cows, a feed trough and may be a visiting tractor should compete the scene.

I have painted my roofing felt in a couple of areas to good effect. Humbrol enamel paints work well.

The next area to be grass matted will be the base of my viaduct.

• 1 year later...