"Sounds" like a good idea

Rossi

Having just flicked through BRM (February) magazine, I came across this snippet of info from Hornby. Apparently they seem to be concerned about the prices of sound locos (me too!) and have...

"...addressed this situation with their Digital TTS (Twin Track Sound.) These are in-house developed low-cost decoders which only add about 25 pounds to the cost of a model. As usual they have an eight-pin connection and use genuine sound files where possible."

"Tornado" with sound is about 150 pounds, but they now have (in the RailRoad range)...

Flying Scotsman at 99.99 pounds.

Class 40 "Empress of Canada" and Class 47, both at 69.99 pounds.

Now those prices seem much more comfortable.

Anyone got round to trying these?

I could think about re-rigging my DCC unit back up for a "play" with a couple of those diesels.

Rossi said:

Anyone got round to trying these?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is Hornby we are talking about. With their supply chain problems, I treat their 2014 catalogue as a guide to what they may release in late 2015 :!:

(I'm still waiting their Northern Belle, original release date mid 2012)

Sorry, you won't be hearing them any time soon.

Yes Chris,

Completely forgot about the Hornby syndrome. Re-read the actual article and there is no mention of supply dates, and the well known Liverpool suppliers do not have any listings either.

Still, gives me a bit of time to drop hints to Mrs Rossi about the delights of whistles and horns that could pierce the shrubbery in the Canary Isles! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, affordable DCC sound is something that should, and perhaps could, have been offered some time ago. Seems to me that we have been ripped off for far too long but of course, in that regard I only have myself to blame because I chose to support it by emptying my wallet. It's a small chip, barely bigger than a postage stamp, with pre-recorded sounds copied on to it. Why should it cost so much when a standard non-sound DCC chip can be obtained for around £15? Now it remains to be seen if these budget sound chips (if in fact they are indeed just another 'chip') are going to be of sufficient quality to tempt us away from the likes of the Loksound, or be designed as an introduction just to tempt more people into adding sound in the hope that they'll go on to buy the more expensive chips later?