Another Australian

StevePER

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a few months and procrastinating, but now I've purchased some materials and construction of my own garden railway is commencing (slowly) so I thought it was time to post something.

We have a large backyard (by Australian suburban standards) so plenty of room to work. I'm going to start with a fairly simple loop and ensure I can get that working correctly before expanding the layout. The whole thing will have a marine ply base close to ground level, and will be covered when not in use. Perhaps the cover is overkill, but perhaps not, and it will make cleaning easier.

It's unlikely that I'll get anything done this weekend due to the weather. 44 degrees on Saturday and 41 on Sunday so I will be inside in the air conditioning.

Steve

Hi Steve. Good to have another layout from down-under on the forum - we're getting quite a collection now!

Keeping things simple at the start is a good idea. It's all too easy to get carried away when you're modelling outdoors with all that extra space available to you and then find that you never seem to be able to get anything completed. I think most of us have found that it's important to be able to get something running and then look to expand from there. What areas/era are you interested in modelling?

Look forward to seeing progress and, of course, lots of photos when you are able. Just think of a name and start a thread in the Members Layouts section once you're ready.

Don't envy you in the 44 degrees - nice and cool (as usual) up this way.

I can't really narrow down my interest to a particular era or area. The locos and rolling stock I have came from my dad and are a real mix. My favourite loco is an LNER Class D49 but I also have a couple of British Rail steam locos, a diesel, an HST, and an American one as well.

I've started thinking about the name but important decisions like that take time. :D

We had a maximum of 43.3 today and it's still 33 degrees at 9:30pm.

Steve

Welcome Steve.

Good luck with your railway planning and building and if ever you're stuck with anything just post it on here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Roy, 'cleanerg6e', another member from Australia, considers covers on his layout essential, not just to protect against the weather but also from the local wildlife.

Oh and don't forget, the guys on here love lots of photos.

43degrees? wow! As I write this (9 am) it's white with frost outside!

Ian R

It was reading about Roy's layout that convinced me of the need for covers. I'm more concerned about the temperature extremes than the wildlife.

At 9am this morning it was 39 degrees and we just had our hottest night on record with a minimum of 29.7. Thankfully it is going to be much cooler for the next few days while I'm at work, but warming up to 38 for the weekend. Typical.

Steve

Archived