Hornby 'The Great Gathering' collection

mick

Having ordered my complete set on the very day that the announcement was made I was delighted this morning when a large parcel was delivered to my door containing models of the six A4 locomotives which had been assembled at York for the big event earlier this year. I know there's been some moaning about the fact that the models have been delayed and that they really should have been available during the York event but at least they've finally made it to us this side of Xmas and before the planned 'Great Goodbye' next year. I see that some sets are already being advertised on eBay for £670 more than I've paid so at least that makes me feel a bit better for having forked out a tidy sum on these.

I've had to open each box to remove the small card token that accompanies each model as all six tokens are required in order to place an order for the 'free' display cabinet but other than that I haven't disturbed the loco's themselves. What hasn't been explained is the whereabouts of the limited edition certificate that I'm supposed to receive with the locos - it seems that may be sent out separately. I've contacted Hornby for clarification but still awaiting a reply. There's a space on the reverse of each card token for your name, address, certificate number etc but no mention of whether you need to complete just one card or all six of them. It seems a bit silly having to fill in each individual card when you have to send all six of them off but there you go - nothing in this hobby is ever straightforward. It just looks to me like after all the delays, they've now rushed things through to get them out before Xmas without a great deal of thought going into it all.

Are they worth it? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm looking forward to seeing them displayed in the case but I realise that these are probably one set that I'm not going to be able to use round the garden layout. I also don't know where I'll be allowed to house the display case as any ideas of a prominent location, so I've been informed, is out of the question :(

A display case but not to be displayed.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've just realised that I didn't include any photos of the 'Great Gathering Collection' and whilst I haven't yet removed the loco's from their boxes I do have the following photos of the boxes themselves and the tokens which are included with the individual loco's. All six different tokens are required before you are eligible for the 'free' (£10 postage) display cabinet. Looks a nice cabinet although the picture on the reverse of the tokens doesn't show the 'THE GREAT GATHERING' logo as pictured elsewhere.

5316a6047e1e46b5cc5bfc3478c39fd2.jpg

680e360cc7f3035cb5e11ccd050f6bc6.jpg

b2add040ecc50648deebb36d2358940c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning to wonder if I'll manage to get these loco's displayed in their custom case before the 2 visitors are put back on a boat for their return across the Atlantic. On the tokens which you send off to exchange for the display case it states that you should allow 28 days for delivery of the case. Well it's now three weeks since I posted my £10.00 cheque and six tokens and up to this weekend I had heard nothing. Then on Saturday I received a phone call from Picture Pride Display to confirm they had received my request and what colour outer frame would I like. "They're taking about 8 weeks......" So, if all goes well, that'll be approximately three months from ordering!

• 1 month later...

I believe tomorrow will be 8 weeks - still no sign of my display cabinet from Picture Pride :cry:

Must comment regarding the PP website. Has anyone visited it? I don't remember if I was just browsing or if the fact that I was getting my 'Great Gathering' case from them had taken me there but I quite liked the look of their display cases and was wondering if it would be worth getting one to display some of the other locos in my collection. How much do their cases cost? You tell me...... Don't you just hate websites that don't publish prices. Everything as far as I can see is marked 'Price on Application''. Sorry, but if they can't be bothered then neither can I.

The original Picture Pride Displays company was liquidated on 26th July last year but the same people are now running Handbourn Cabinets Limited trading as Picture Pride Displays. They even go to shows in the same old rusty van. The last time I saw them they had no credit card facilities and were only accepting cash or cheques.

I suspect that they will be having difficulty in obtaining materials if they are using the same suppliers as the original company and they are still owed money. They would find it difficult to provide an on-line sales facility if they can only trade with cash or cheques.

You may be able to negotiate your own price if you phone them but will you wish to pay in advance with no credit card protection?

Riddles said:

The original Picture Pride Displays company was liquidated on 26th July last year...

Oh dear. No mention of that on the Hornby Great Gathering tokens but I can see from the UK Companies register that you've got it right. I'll wait a little longer for my free Great Gathering case but I've suddenly become much less interested in any others. Thanks for the heads up.

• 5 weeks later...

I have finally received my 'Great Gathering' display case and so seeing as the weather's taken a turn for the worse today, preventing any work outdoors, I decided to get the loco's together and put them into the case.

I hadn't bargained on just how much time it was going to take me to prepare the loco's. I decided to replace all the non-flanged cartazzi wheel sets with the supplied flanged wheels and add the fiddly cylinder drain pipes which were far from 'ready to run'. Then there was the 'Hornby Great Gathering' headboards to affix. Not too bad when you're doing a single loco but a pain in the butt when there's six waiting your attention. I decided not to bother at this stage with the etched nameplates - perhaps I'll do those at some other time. All the loco's were placed in the close-coupled configuration which also required some minor tweaking in order to get loco and tender to fit together.

You'll have to excuse the quality of photographs - it's dark enough outdoors without trying to take photo's inside and when the subject has a glass front it means the flash has to be disabled. Here's a pic of the empty display case

7ecb7fd8a8e1ecb9f3204ee6604f452f.jpg

I took the loco's outdoors between rain showers for some group photographs but there's too much distraction in the background which I've tried to crop out.

2637753cdcba2184bcb5f1a1bc13d7dc.jpg

ce57be4d1c981a7c063a109f0651d30a.jpg

And then the loco's were placed in the case and this photo shows them randomly arranged nose to nose. I'm not sure if there's a 'right' way to arrange them but this way is a change from how they are normally seen. The glass front of the case has been removed for the photo.

c864eb04ae63ee6bbca0fd4c494e2d83.jpg

If you read other forums then there's been a lot of grumbling about the quality of finish with this collection, not to mention the wrongly positioned numbers on some examples. If it hadn't been pointed out for me then I doubt I would have noticed much of what's been said although the silver line along the bottom of Dominion of Canada's tender could have been applied better. I reckon that just by taking them from their boxes and adding a few detailing parts that I've just reduced their value a good bit but not to worry. They do look nice displayed together but I wouldn't rule out sending them round the garden at some point in the future. Bittern, Union of South Africa and Dominion of Canada were not already in my collection so they'll be the most likely visitors to Worsley Dale.