Shelf Brackets

chris

On this forum the members railways fall in to two categories, the first is a true garden railway where the tracks and thus the trains are at or around ground level and pass through the flora. The second is an outdoor railway where the tracks are around a metre above the ground on what is best described as a shelf, usually attached to the garden fence. My Amblethopre and Ian's Kirkfield and Warmthorpe railway are both examples of outdoor railways.

Ian started the Kirkfield and Warmthorpe a couple of years before my work began, and he is much further down the road (or should that be, up the track?) than me and I have shamelessly followed his construction techniques and been very satisfied with the results. He gives a description of his construction technique at the start of his thread http://www.selbygardenrailway.co.uk/sgrforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21#p51 he has also answered a good number of questions I've asked him on my Amblethorpe thread. But it would probably be wise to start to collate some of our information in this section to make it easier to find. So seen as Ian has just been asked for a second time where he got his shelf brackets from I thought I'd start with them.

The brackets are made of Aluminium and are designed for use in Greenhouses. I followed Ian's lead and purchased them from Two Wests & Elliot

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/SBWM.htm

They come in two sizes, 6" and 10" and I have used both to support 8" and 12" boards respectively. Not that you need it, but they come with Assembly Instructions. That said, you will probably have to modify the assembly slightly, rotating the horizontal bracket 180º to create an unobstructed top surface. It's also worth drilling a couple of holes in the top bracket (prior to assembly) so you can screw the based board in place. Don't put the holes too close to the ends as this will make it awkward when it comes to putting the screws in, you'll be working upside-down, so no need to make it harder than it has to be.

• 9 months later...