A post on a post.

jonblakeney

That's a hilarious series of videos. This is the same thing but a Sunderland/Newcastle one. I live in Sunderland and the rivalry between the two cities is tribal. Whoever did it knows the area. Don't watch it if you object to bad language though.

Hi Jon, I miss your question in post 155, asking about the track is powered , no it isn't at the moment, as soon as I get past finishing the bottom track scenery cutting and road access to the flange oilers I plan to model will lay down the rest of the track on TL spiral and may be put some power in and run the first test loco, exciting stuff and video clip to follow of the big event.

Should get stuck into the top section of Tehachapi loop so the train can have a longer run past tunnel 10, love the other video clips too, that rust paint look on the post is pretty good too.

Tony. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, nice video, noticed you have been busy nailing down more track, is your layout going to be double track or passing loops.

Yeah I plan to get hold of a depressed centre flat car and make a cradle so the iPhone can sit in it, hopefully clear the Tehachapi loop tunnel 9 as the iPhone six is a lot bigger than the 4S, will be a while off hope just after Christmas, for the first run on the TL spiral.

How did you go with that bad storm last week, hit Sydney hard .

Tony

Hi Tony,I waited for winter to finish before I completed the Passing siding (slack I know ,lol)

I do plan another main line with its own passing siding on the oposite side of the oval but that is roughly $200 for track and points that I don't have to spare at the moment

The storm smashed us but no damage to home or the so far bullet proof railway lol.

First run around Christmas sounds promissing,keep plugging away mate .

Hi Jon, yeah it is starting to arm up here too in SEQLD, next week hitting 35 degrees, I hope to get some work finished on the tunnel module and the rest of the layout will move quite quickly, only one area with scenery on it TL spiral.

Hope to aim for Christmas time or just after, can only do a couple days here and there.

Not sure if we had a discussion on the wind turbine generator, was amention on the ABC24 news today about the renewal energy and the stupid federal government cutting it back, the news showed some pics of the generators in NSW and they are like the Kibri turbine kits I won on eBay.

Our wind turbine's are only babies compared to the US ones

Great news you didn't get affected from that bad storm, would like to see more rain, driest October in record in QLD unless we get a few storms.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jon, sad to hear what happened to big boy 4014, I too would of felt the same as you did when the loco hit the floor, I am glad my layout will be floor level, the only highest area on the layout will be Tehachapi loop and the station complex , plus the second spiral at the other end of the layout.

When I build my first module layout a Powerline B class loco ended up on the floor, luckily the loco landed on its wheels and bent one of the bogies straightened it up so I could run it but there was a bent wheel, I decided to get rid by swapping it with a friend that wanted it, told him about the wheel. That wasn't the only time that loco nearly ended up on the floor for got to lower the lift bridge down and she was pulling the Lima Indian Pacific coaches, if it wasn't for the lima couplers saving the loco and weight of the train she would of end up cab first on the floor.

Did you seethe two you tube video clips I put on my thread of a couple of NSW 80 class loco pulling a container train and my duel power tender drive Flying Scot on my club 's layout.

We had on Tuesday our first very bad storm and not even summer yet, the wind gust were between 60 and 90k's an hour, the rain was very heavy got 2 inches in half an hour, a neighbours palm was ripped out of the ground and one o our tree stopped it from going any further and not damage to the fence would of broke the fence railing in half, will chat to the neighbour when I see him.

Bracing for another storm this afternoon, hope we can get home in time from an appointment we both have to go to.

Fingers crossed Athearn will get 4014 back to running order and where you can't see any damage, bugger having to do that postage would of cost a bit but worth it, yeah Big Boys are had to get on eBay, I am hopping I can get next year Up FEF steamy 4-8-4 running number 844.

002.jpg

004.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi gang,

It's been a while since I last posted anything,but here goes,lol.

:roll:

I have had installed into my Big Boy a WOW 101 KA 1517 decoder and a new speaker from Digitech :D

There is no comparison between the factory installed junk and this insane new decoder / speaker combo :D:lol::lol::lol:

Here is a taste of the new sounds ,not to mention the great slow speeds without any adjustments(RIP TSUNAMI).

http://youtu.be/n6hLH0fcTuM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ENJOY !

Hi Jon, how was Christmas and new year, love the video clip, when are you going to try the big boy on your layout outside be pure awesome.

Did you get you Big Boy 4014 back from Athearn or is the Big boy 4014 the loco you put the new sound card in.

We are copping our first cyclone hitting the coast down from Rockhampton QLD Friday, predicted to cop over 300mm's of rain tomorrow and the next few days, I might be able to get some work done on the module that has the entrance track to the station platforms , will see how bad the wind is.

If I can't work outside under the pergola will do some work on the wind turbine blades, trying a new to build them.

Happy modelling from Tony.

Hi Tony,sorry for the late reply new job is a time consumer ,lol.

The festive season was a good one ,I hope it was the same for you and your clan.

With a bit of luck and weather permitting I will film outside this weekend,I had to use the motor out of 4014 to get 4021 running after the motor gave up the ghost ,It was drawing 1 amp with no load on it,I thought I may as well go the whole hog ,new decoder ,speakers ect if it was going to be pulled apart, and get it done professionally.As you can imagine I hate anything to do with products being made in china as i am sure Athearn only knows to well (I would love to be a fly on the wall in their complaints department) the wheels on the tenders ,leading and trailing trucks on both units were so badly out of gauge the loco's could not stay on the trackl ! thats 22 gauge adjustments on brand new loco's ,what a joke.

After telling athearn about this ,all they said was ,they must have been bumped around in transit,Do they think I'm stupid? The locos are that well packaged you can not bump any wheels,even if you wanted to .Now the reverse light LED has stopped working

More like zero quality control back in china,I would really love to shove them up Athearn's,####

I have noticed that they are going to re release the big boys again,time will tell if they have improved with the new manufacturer ,probably still china though ?

How did the cyclone effect you,not to bad I hope,press on we must.

All the best

Jon

Hi Jon, no worries family and work comes what's you now job that is such a time consumer.

Thanks we had a nice quite festive season, good your clan did ok.

Be looking forward to seeing the big boy running on your layout with freight wagons behind it, be awesome, what's happening with the big boy that was sent back to Athearn for repairs.

I am not keen of that either, what can you do, what makes me mad is all the good brands that are made in China are still pretty expensive to buy like the electric tools, even Marklin in made in China now and as you guessed charged the same prices, not right.

That big boy you bought was it from a hobby shop over here or did you order it from Athearn or hobby shop in the US, I would of taken the loco back to the hobby shop over here and told them to sort out the wheel gauges.

I don't know a lot on electrics but the is a bit high drawing an AMP, the locos run less that than, would love to know how to read those metres as well.

That will be awesome releasing the big boys again, I am more interested in buying an UP FEF 4-8-4 844 has the same tender, will let my friend know.

Thanks for the kind words, the cyclone really didn't affect us, but we got a lot of rail out of it 140mm in one day, Brisbane copped ore rain than us in Ipswich, I think if the cyclone came in close to us we would of been in trouble.

Take care Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, what brand curved points have you got on order, I am not happy with Peco's largest curved points the other brands that have better radius curved points are quite dear o buy and have no springs in them.

Great to see you are moving ahead and nailing down the second track more trains on the layout and my new Mehano Thaly's TGV will look pretty od running on your layout, will soon enough have a full 10 piece set, mine is 6 pieces, four more middle coaches on order.

Happy modelling from SEQLD Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...