A post on a post.

jonblakeney

Hi Ian,all joints are soldered and the track is screwed down with three screws per length of flex,however the screws are only just touching the sleepers to allow for movement,expansion and contraction.

The screws are placed two sleepers in from a join and in the center of each length.Time will tell how well this method will work. :?::?

Here are some more vid's.

Jon.

http://youtu.be/y17GRKC67c8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

http://youtu.be/SeazBVhmHEw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

http://youtu.be/eD5bCitJCFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D It's sunny here in Sydney today ,so we all know what that means,"it's time to get the trains a rollin"

I will try to take a vid of the railway showing a complete lap,I have just got to figure out a way to get the i pod mounted on an empty coal hopper.lol.

Jon

:shock: Glad you like em.

The villa board is so quick to put up because it came in 4200mm x 230 lengths,just score ,snap,n, place on the supports(it's heavy enough to stay where you place it ,but I will be securing it to the steel with 4 bolts n washers n nylock nuts on each section before to much longer. ;)

Because of the track length I now have it was a lot easier to speed match my three GE AC 6000's and these will be lashed up permanently.

I would like to get another 50 + Athearn iron ore hoppers,and,say 20+ loaded coal hoppers to complete each train as funds become available. :?

I have decided to leave the villa board white :o:idea: ,to help keep the track temperature down in summer,but I will be painting the posts etc a brown colour to blend in with the garden.

We're at the mercy of the weather Jon. I've been trying to dodge the showers for several days now and it's not just the actual rainfall but the state of the ground afterwards that makes progress difficult. It WILL dry up eventually!

On Sunday morning I'd just got my soldering iron out with a mains extension lead when a rain shower arrived :( it turned out to be a very light shower and I pushed on and got the wiring done. In the afternoon rain stopped play so I retreated into the shed and got on with a "winter project" that didn't get done in winter. I do find having the railway run through the shed extremely useful as I can always find something to get on with in there, as long as it's not too cold.

Hi Chris and Mick ;)

Rain again today,it has stopped now but I'n not going to risk it :cry:

Man I wish I had a shed :oops:

Oh well maybe a beer will stop the pain ,lol.

I'm hoping for a good day tomorrow because I will be rehearsing with my band and plan to run trains for the boy's after practice,fingers crossed.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I've just Googled Villa Board to see if it is available in the UK and what has come up is Villaboard (made by James Hardie) described as being made from fibre cement. Is that the stuff you are using? Sounds like it is really intended for indoor use although it is described as being suitable for wet areas. I know that you have built a good strong supporting base!

Hope the rehearsal goes well, (if it hasn't already happened)

Hi Riddles,here is an update on the cladding that I used,sorry I got it wrong it is actually called.

BGC's Duraplank™ external cladding system is designed to give the look of traditional timber weatherboards. Beautifully attractive and easy to install, Duraplank™ is available in three finshes - smooth, woodgrain and rustic textured. At 7.5mm in thickness, it has the strength to handle the rigours of family life with minimal maintenance required.

Gives the apperance of traditional weatherboards

Not subject to rot, decay or white ant damage and is no combustable

Three finishes available

Easy to maintain

Complies with AS3959 standards for construction of buildings in bushfire prone areas

the size that I chose is 4200 x 230 x 7.5

$13.00 per length

Rehearsal went well and I did get to run some trains for the boys,they loved it.I even had the neighbour's kids watching from the fence.

I'm having the oven rewired to day ,and if the sparky has enough time he is going to put in an outdoor power point,today ,if not to day soon enough,so there will be no more running power leads out the back door for the railway or the fish pond. ;) Which means no more MOZZIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

:?: I may even get to run a train to day if the weather holds.

Jon.