A post on a post.

jonblakeney

Hi all,

The 90mm x 90mm posts that I am using to hold up my track are a product called "Kaituna solid post" specks say it is treated to H4 for in ground contact.

The H4 treatment protects against rot,fungal decay,and termite attack.They come completely sealed in plastic to protect them till sealing .

I have sealed the posts with prima first ,then totally sprayed them with a product used to seal anything porous eg: terracotta pots,wood,ect.

I have used this spray to seal a gold fish pond made out of a cauldron shaped pot and It has stayed sealed against leaks for over four plus years so it has got to help against moisture getting into the posts,fingers crossed.

I will keep you all" posted" on the outcome.(sorry about the pun). :lol:

Hi Ian

A bag of cement is used for each post,so far the hole depths are between 12" and 5" depending when I hit sandstone .In the shallow holes I just give the post a wider hole to compensate for the lack of depth ,this seems to make them plenty stable.

Pole # 5 might be a bit slower going in the ground as I just had a skin cancer cut out this morning,ended up getting 4 internal dissolving stitches and a 1"running stitch on the surface ,so I don't want to risk digging to early(I wonder how the wife is with a spade ,lol).

Now for the pun-----------wait for it------------

--------------I will keep you posted on the post when I next go to post it here .lol

Jon

It's a rainy,windy day here in Sydney,a good day for planing but not for digging so pole # 5 has to wait a bit longer to be placed in the ground.(at least it will be easier to dig holes after the rain)

A friend of mine is lending me his Mitre / drop saw,this will speed up the building of the road bed nicely, not to mention save me a bundle of cash that can be used to buy building supplies.

Rain rain go away----come again another day !

Until my next post (#5)shall we just say" Tickets please "

The sun came out today and I have dug post #5's hole and have the post cut to length,but, I have no cement left.

Maybe this arvo when the wife gets back from her travels there may be time to duck up the hardware to grab some,I have my fingers crossed ,lol.

I know it's only post #5 ,but still it is some sort of progress.

This poster will post a picture of the post in my next posting,so stay posted.(few)

Hear ye,Hear ye-------Six posts and all is well.

Now the postie has to cross the sandstone seen here on the right side of the photo below.

Three short posts set in mortar on the sloping face of the sandstone is the plan,that way there will be a long portion of track with a realistic sandstone back drop giving some great natural photo opportunities .

17112013143.jpg

This is one expensive forum :o

:lol: So far it is costing me between ten and fifteen dollars per post.

Luck is on my side though ,because the next three short posts needed will use up the off cuts from my previous purchases.

OK MEN -HOLD YOUR POST TILL i GET BACK,AND THAT'S AN ORDER. :roll:

jonblakeney said:

This is one expensive forum :o

:lol: So far it is costing me between ten and fifteen dollars per post.

Luck is on my side though ,because the next three short posts needed will use up the off cuts from my previous purchases.

OK MEN -HOLD YOUR POST TILL i GET BACK,AND THAT'S AN ORDER. :roll:

Does that include postage?

;) This shot shows the seven planted posts , and the excavation started for post # 8.

The small offcut is used to get a level in the dug out hole in the rock from whick I measure up to the spirit level to get the post length.

:x The rain is still hanging around so "to post or not to post ?---that is the question"

22112013145.jpg