Rockley Park - N Gauge

ba14eagle

Rockley Park is a portable, N Gauge layout, approx 5ft x 3ft. It was built to provide somewhere for my children to run their trains that had been passed on by my Dad, when he gave up modelling. Over the years the scenery has slowly been developed - the layout normally lives under the bed and only comes out for about 2 weeks a year, before an exhibition that I have been involved with. Each year I have tried to do a bit more work, until now when it is virtually finished. It is set in the era 2000 - 2005, all original rolling stock having been replaced. As I said, it has been to a small, local exhibition on 4 or 5 occasions and demonstrates well what can be done in a small space. People enjoy the little cameo scenes - the police box with male and female figures outside is instantly recognised by many as Dr Who and at the fire station a Fire Brigade Society (I am a member) visit is in full swing. However, time is almost up for the layout - due to storage issues, I am trying to dispose of it or it will be dismantled and everything stored away for another layout (bigger and more permanent) on another day. I am going to keep all the stock as my Dad has got back into N gauge and so I can run on his layout if I want to (despite his era being 1950 something). I will post some photo' of the layout shortly.

Good to see details of another indoor layout on the forum.

Space is always an issue with model railways no matter what the scale. It was the lack of a suitable space that prevented me having a layout when I first took an interest in the hobby 30 years ago and it took me until 2009 to permanently lay my first metres of track, albeit outside in the garden! You've obviously spent quite some time working on Rockley Park so it would be a shame to have to dismantle it but if storage is an issue then you've obviously got a tough decision to make.

With an indoor end-to-end layout under construction myself, I would be interested to see photo's of Rockley Park so do add some when you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent layout there.

I was drawn to the photo of the Shanks loco about to pass the class 60 alongside the beach and at first I couldn't find the same scene on the overall view of the layout. The scene looks so expansive and yet the layout itself looks very compact. You've certainly managed to fit a lot into a relatively small area and successfully divided it up into 2 very interesting viewing sections.

Its testament to the quality of more recent 'n' gauge products, along with your undoubted modelling skills, that it really is difficult to tell that this layout is only 2mm scale.

• 3 months later...