hi from west yorkshire castleford

Mart

Hi just joined up after many years of loving and watching model railways and the real thing.

My name is Martin but do answer to Mart age 54 retired from work at the age of 40 due to a accident at work, so this is

going to be a big undertaking by me.

I decided its about time I got my 00 gauge out in the garden, so as of this day I am building my first

ever outside layout.

Nothing big just round the outside of my garden size about 142feet. twin track might added sidings etc.

Had my 12' timber 6x2 x 12, delivered with 2 rolls of felt so here goes.

I will try and upload some pics as I go along an if I need help/advice i look to u guys/ladys

thx again for letting me sign up to your site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApJt6AdGzATtcDmxkKlhVQ

Welcome to the forum Martin and apologies for the delay in approving your initial post. I've had a pretty slow year on the garden railway front and my visits to the forum have been less frequent than they should have been so I've only just seen the notification that there was a new post.

It's not the ideal time of year for working outdoors but I hope you're able to make some progress even if it means there'll be no running until next year. Once you have something to share then I look forward to seeing a thread in the Members Layout section and of course, if you need any help or advice then just post a request and I'm sure someone will be along to help out (and no doubt a darn sight quicker than me!)

Hi Martin

Welcome aboard. I was new in July this year but I feel as though I have been here for years, it's that sort of atmosphere. On the help and advice side of things just HOLLA and help will be there by the barra load.

Regards Mick from North Notts.

PS lots and lots of pics please

Hello Mart,

Welcome to the forum and to the world of outdoor railway modelling.

We're very nearly neighbours, I'm just the other side of Normanton, so if you need any sort of help or advice give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

As Mick says, it's not the best time of year to start construction but good luck anyway! :)

Regards,

Ian R

Welcome Martin, enjoy it, don't worry if you make any mistakes, we've all done them and enjoy a good laught at someone else's eespence :lol: .

Have a good look around as well, as we all seem to have our own preference on how we model our outside railway's. Some like it near the ground, if not in or on it, others however prefer it to be on legs. As we get older bending down to earth level gets harder, as they will soon find out.

Only think we ask for is plenty of pictures and a Vaiduct and a Windmill are necessary parts of the garden railway. Apart from that do as you want and enjoy the friendly banter.

Ian

Hi Martin,

I'm a bit further North than you. Found this place at the beginning of this year and spent the Summer running a double track round the back garden. I'm an up on legs man myself, and thouroughly enjoyed getting a train running. Plenty to do next year but the basics are there now. Take your time and get it right first time. Don't forget the pictures either, but most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Ha Ha HA .... he says "Nothing big just round the outside of my garden size about 142feet. twin track might added sidings etc.", lets see that would be 3 times the size of my layout. :P

Don't let cold weather stop you. I've been out of commission all summer, but am angling to get back at it over the winter. Besides with global warming you should be in the tropics in a decade. ;)

Oh yes, very very very much a good welcome for joining. Please post piccies. hee hee

Griff

Archived