Hornby 142 Pacer in Northern Rail

chris

I've bleated on about the Northern Rail Pacer eslewhere on this forum, it's late delivery and RailRoad quality. Although an exact fit for Amblethorpe, it wasn't very tempting.

It's arrived on the Sale Rail and the recent purchase of a discounted DCC decoder was enough for me to finally purchase one.

It's a good little runner, but slows to a crawl on my only 3rd radius bend (bit like the real thing at Carnforth last week).

It needs a lot of work doing to it. I'm thinking about doing the full works with the lighting: head, tail, door hazards and interior coach. There's several mistakes on the livery application which will need sorting and the craft knife will be required to improve the doors. Inside the black plastic molding will need painting, trimming and I think I'll add the missing toilet.

It's quite the little project.

Hi Chris

That .....LITTLE PROJECT ......sounds as though it could be a...........MAJOR REBUILD...... still the nights are starting to draw in a bit so go for it mate. Before,during and after pics would be great and who knows what could develope. CHRIS'S CARRIAGE WORKS?

Regards Mick.

I've already taken a stanley knife to the doors to modify them to their current appearance and it's improved the look no end.

As is usual, I'll be treading in the footsteps of others, this usually means I'm coping IanR, but Pacer is a least 20 years too young for the K&WR so I'm following a chap called Martin, who's rather good at this sort of thing.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-142sound/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not doing sound, and I'm going to try at installing a electrical interconnector so I only have to use one DCC decoder. I think I may go a bit further on the improvements to the interior.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris, I have only just found your post on the Northern Rail Pacer 142, great article and some very good modelling but why anyone would want a 142 is beyond me! :lol::roll: I suppose I am biased, but as I drive the horrible ruddy things most days of the week then I'm afraid I can't see the fastination with them. They would perhaps make a very good BONFIRE :shock: if you were to put them all in field somewhere, we could have fireworks and burgers and hotdogs etc while we watch them BURN! :lol::lol:

Nige.

• 1 month later...

I resisted the temptation to buy it for a long time. But when shops started to sell them off I got one.

Part of the issue is the lack of new models coming to market. When something comes out that is a match with my railway there's almost a compulsion to by it. In 2014 I've purchased the Northern Belle and some intermodal wagons, that's it. By the end of the year the shops will have sold out of all of these. Then I'm basically waiting for Bachmann to release their updated 150.

The Pacer was a "better than nothing" purchase.