Hampton Field Railway, Wiltshire. Potted history

ba14eagle

Hurray :!: The sun has finally found its way back to Wiltshire.

Not being quite the "keen-bean" that I see some of you are, I resisted the temptation to try and run trains on the HFR today, knowing that there were too many other jobs needed doing around the house. What time I did get to spend on railways today was put in on the garage test track (I know - work that out :? ) I finished a half started bit of ballasting and also treated the same area to some cinder paths and weeds! I almost stuck some more scourers to the back scene, but chose instead to waste 3 hours watching another abysmal display from the England cricket team :evil:

Back to the HFR and I have, over the last few days, done a little pruning of foliage on the easy to reach areas of the layout. The main station has come out of the shed and had a little clean up, prior to putting it back outside for this season. The station buildings have all been repainted into a more suitable brick colour, so as to match the lift shafts I have made. I have also decided to reduce the size of the canopies and use only the older, Triang plastic supports and canopies. If anyone is interested in 15 sets of ornate metal supports and canopies, please pm me as I am intending to sell them (obviously, having spent a couple of summers outside, they are not pristine, but do have a naturally weathered look about them!).

The smaller country station building has been repainted, as it had faded quite badly, whilst outside. How this station looks when its set up again outside, remains to be seen, as I have used parts of it on the garage test track :roll: , so it may end up being a fair bit smaller than before.....

All rolling stock weathering has been, or should I say had been completed, which led me to have a rush of blood to the head and I ended up buying some Hornby & Bachmann "Sealion" / "Seacow" ballast wagons, to keep my "Shark" plough van company! Of course, they will now need weathering 8-)

Here's hoping the sun continues to shine and I might just get around to running something outdoors :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Despite seemingley having a million and one other things to do this weekend, I managed to clean up the railway and have a running session yesterday. Video is on YT. Towards the end of the session, the sound chip in 50004 became defective, again :x , and so will be making a 4th return in under a year, to Howes. This time I have asked for it to be replaced completely.

I have installed some willow edging at various places around the circuit, to try and limit the amount of foliage encroachment and general debris that gets on the track. Only time will tell if it lasts....

Just had a pleasant few minutes watching your 5th May running session - very enjoyable once again. A nice collection of stock on show really enhanced by your excellent weathering. I know it often takes a brave heart to get the paints out to a brand new loco but they do look so much better for the time and effort it takes. More than 12 minutes of Youtube highlights - you must have had a good session!

Sorry to hear about the sound chip. I know how frustrating it can be when you've purchased something and it doesn't work. If it's been returned 4 times then I don't see how they can do anything else but replace it - it's clearly not fit for purpose.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear ba14eagle,

That sounds like possibly a very sad end to what has been a superb and widely-acclaimed garden railway (and associated videos) of very high quality. Through that Trowbridge garden you gave inspiration to me before I started my railway - and no doubt to many others who have watched those great videos.

We have to accept that nothing lasts forever, especially garden railways, but YouTube videos do seem to have a life of their own.

Thanks for sharing all those great episodes which resulted from your hard work and creativity. If Hampton Field really has reached the end of the line, then that is sad, but railways are certainly secondary in importance compared to the people who build them. So I hope, ba14eagle, that you are soaring somewhere where you won't have to worry about leaves on the line.

Thanks to all those who have commented on the last post from me on the HFR.

Ironhorse, I am afraid this is almost certainly the end of the HFR, unless a prospective house buyer is a garden railway fan too!

I have been actively searching for the next garden, waiting to be bought to life by that distinctive English Electric "dub" or Sulzer "throb", but the road is long and it will be a while before I make any progress. :| Its actually quite daunting, the thought of starting afresh - 16 years ago I must have been more cavalier / stupid :lol::lol: