Hampton Field Railway, Wiltshire. Potted history

ba14eagle

The sunshine has been most welcome in Wiltshire today and so, I have had a very busy day in the garden.

I think the railway has definitely come out of hibernation today, with the the last of the bonded joints being repaired, the track being given a good clean and vacuum and an attempt made at running a train or 3. Unfortunately, thats where it started to go down hill. :(

Now in many of the threads regarding peoples garden railway construction / techniques, it is mentioned about getting things level - this is my undoing! I CANNOT STRESS FIRMLY ENOUGH (thats why I started in capitals you see and its not just my fat fingers have hit the Caps Lock :lol: ) MAKE YOUR TRACK BASE AS FLAT AS THE PROVERBIAL BILLIARD TABLE :!: I know mine isnt and I have just had to try and make things work, but it seems, the more rolling stock I buy, the more it just falls off :roll::cry: CONTINUALLY... (That O gauge 08 from Hattons is sounding even more appealing by the day) I have had to do bits of packing and easing here and there, but I still aint getting nowhere near the reliability that I want - and I am starting to think any idea of inviting friends / people around for some "playing trains" to be out of the question. There is one length of about 4 - 5ft where I think a complete removal of track and pointwork maybe in the offing, just so I can try (again) to regrade the trackbase. This has always been a stretch of line thats had its problems - even in the larger scales, the rails were a bit like a rollercoaster :roll:

I also think Im starting to suffer the problems Mick mentions in his SGR thread regarding Bachmann and Hornby couplings continually derailing stock - especially on curves. :roll:

Anyway, the crowds called out for more pictures of the HFR and thats what I have tried to do today. They were all a bit staged (I struggled to get my depth of fields right even then.. :roll: ) but hey, I did it. I havent littered this thread with them - they are all in my HFR OO gallery section. I would even go as far as to say, they look pretty good (shame it doesnt run as well). Oh, lastly, sorry about the small size of some - I forgot in the gallery you can have 1000 pixels and I only used 700 on most - doh!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another day in the garden and I bit the bullet and lifted a complete section of line, where my newspaper train just doesnt want to stay on the track.

I have tried to eliminate a step :oops: in the trackbed by some reprofiling with a sureform, but even this has had little positive effect when I relaid with new track this afternoon. I had a problem with only 2 or 3 coaches (of a 9 coach train) which continually derailed. Along with the uneven nature of my track at this point, I cant help but think a little bit of the problem is connected to the forces running through the couplings of a heavy set of stock (I had even discarded the magnetic couplings for bog standard hook couplings but this only helped slightly) - oh for a version of the old Hornby Dublo type of coupling, which would fit a NEM pocket :lol: . I am contemplating trying to fit a thin plastic sheet on the trackbed, to level it all up, but am worried at the other end, I will still be left wth a step. The only other thing to try is to mix up some type of screed and fill the voids, to give a better surface to lay track on. The trouble is, you could end up going round the whole lot, make more problems, than you solve....

I have another section, of the same circuit, which needs relaying also - this was identified at the end of last year and thankfully, is only about 2ft long - I just hope its not going to be as problematical as the other section - my frustration is growing and patience with the whole thing running out rapidly :evil:

There seems little point in keeping an extensive (and expensive) collection of pretty rolling stock, with nowhere to run it :(

Sorry to hear of the setback.

I hate when things like this happen on my layout. I recall in my N scale days, I'd just laid all my track and was giving my loco fleet a test run on the layout. My locos decided that Atlas C55 switches were a great place to randomly decide which way to go. I spent a week tearing out my hair over it. I used an NMRA gauge and everything looked fine.

Left the layout room for days out of frustration and was pretty much ready to scrap the whole layout due to the track. it had 23 or so points and loads of flexi; quite an investment at that point.

Then one day after I had calmed down a bit, I went down to the layout and got my eyeball at track level and slowly pushed a loco over the points. Hmmm.. grabbed a point that wasn't on the layout and eyeballed the wheels rolling from the front. It turned out my wheels were gauged to tight. They were riding up on the switch frog. ( Not sure what you call the frog. the middle X shaped piece on a point.) So I got a screwdriver and pried gently at all the locos wheels that wouldn't track. Instead of using a NMRA gauge I used the actual switch as a gauge. I fixed everything in a short time and it was a simple problem, but it had me ready to burst a vein in my forehead at the time.

So yeah, we've all been there. You'll sort it out. And it will probably be a simple thing, but till then just take a break and don't give up!

Maybe after you lay the base down you can lay your track. If it's still not right try wedging small plastic shims under the outside of the sleepers on one side to refine it a bit.

Good luck.

That's a great set of photos, Iain. Nice grimy diesels in bright sunshine, sitting on well-ballasted track. They certainly don't look posed -- more like lineside action shots. Hope you get the kinks ironed out of the track without too much trouble.

I was pleased to see the new photos in your gallery (really excellent images by the way). You'd sounded a bit disheartened the last time I'd heard from you and the operational problems you'd been encountering were clearly getting you down. The photos made me assume that things were improving but it sounds like there's still some work to do.

I opted for a plywood track base simply because it offers something flat to start with, although you've still obviously got to fasten it down perfectly level or as level as can be. I didn't feel I could have achieved that using a material that meant I had to create the level base myself, such as laying a concrete or mortar layer. I'm still a bit concerned about the longevity of my plywood considering it's laid close to the ground on top of a concrete foundation but it's about as good a finish as I can achieve with my own abilities and hopefully it will last a few seasons.

I really can't offer any realistic solutions to creating a level surface on top of your existing base other than using some kind of floor levelling compound; something you can constrain within a formed boundary and pour on that finds its own level. Not sure how successful that would be. Alternatively, I'm sure that with the aid of a small/miniature spirit level you could add some shims beneath the sleepers where required to ease out the worst offending areas. I've considered O gauge myself but that's simply because I feel it would be better for my eyesight but I've got a very expensive collection that I would have to dispose of in order to go there and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that just yet.

I hope that you or perhaps someone on the forum can come up with a realistic solution that'll help alleviate the problems without having to resort to major reconstruction.

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago I managed to add some screed to the trackbed, where I had identified the uneven trackwork was causing the coaching stock to derail. I was then able to relay the trackwork (early last week) and over the last couple of days I had set about doing some of the trackbonds. I dont know the reason for it (other than I need a new, better soldering iron), but I was having a great deal of trouble with soldering the bonding wires to the track. In the end, I did something :shock::oops: that I could well regret in the future, and just soldered the fishplates to the rails in a few places. Anyway, both circuits are now electrically solid now.

With the promise of good weather today, I was determined to try and get some running in.

The class 45 and freight train were eagerly assembled on the inner circuit and ran faultlessly. Good start.

Then I tried the NSE set of mk1 coaches on the outer circuit. This was a nightmare - equal in proportion to the problems with the newspaper train continually derailing. I took out all the magnetic couplings and put the original couplings back in - no use - if anything worse than before. Again, the root of the problem (other than my uneven trackwork) appears to be the Bachmann cam couplings, which seem to foul on the bufferbeams of the coaches. Problem has now been sorted - saw :o off the lower 1 - 1.5mm of the bufferbeam and hey presto ! no more fouling. I have put the magnetic couplings back in and with a slight rejuggle of the order of the coaches within the set, it now runs around the track with no dramas. I am hoping that this will be an end to the problems - if not, I am seriously at a point where Im thinking about chucking in the towel.

Hopefully, with some fine weather again tomorrow, I can set about sawing off the bufferbeams of the newspaper vans :o:shock: and getting that running properly.

ba14eagle said:

...but I was having a great deal of trouble with soldering the bonding wires to the track. In the end, I did something :shock::oops: that I could well regret in the future, and just soldered the fishplates to the rails in a few places...

I would have been inclined to use the rail joiners as your electrical bond and to leave the soldering until a later date Iain. I've got no experience of soldered rail joiners and you might find you have no problems - but there again if we do ever get some sun.... :roll:

ba14eagle said:

...the root of the problem (other than my uneven trackwork) appears to be the Bachmann cam couplings, which seem to foul on the bufferbeams of the coaches. Problem has now been sorted - saw :o off the lower 1 - 1.5mm of the bufferbeam and hey presto ! no more fouling....

I didn't do anything so drastic as sawing the bufferbeams but I did identify that as a potential problem. I noticed that the couplings had a tendency to foul the bufferbeam but I assumed that it was because of other problems I was having, such as my undulating trackwork. If removing a couple of mm or so alleviates the problem for you then it's clearly the way to go.

ba14eagle said:

...I am hoping that this will be an end to the problems - if not, I am seriously at a point where Im thinking about chucking in the towel...

I really do hope it doesn't come to that. Perhaps an improvement in the weather will make you feel differently. It's been a depressing, miserable, past few (12?) months.

Think that someone has given me the answer to a problem I am currently having with my MK1 Backmann Pullman Coaches. Constant derailing on even level track, but only derailing on the curves, and upon closer inspection the couplings on all the coaches was fouling the buffer beam. Shaved back up to the hook on the buffer beam and now all seem to work perfick.

Ian

Another beautiful weather day, here in Wiltshire :D

Following on from yesterdays progress in getting the troublesome Bachmann Mk1's to stay on the track, I set about modifying :o the bufferbeams on my newspaper vans. It seems to have worked too, as they behaved impeccably afterwards. I have also been able to revert to my homemade magnetic couplings - time that wasnt wasted, after all :) It is very nice to have enough faith in everything to be able to turn your back for 5 minutes, without a disaster occuring :D

On the freight front, my Hornby PCA tankers have had some additional weight added to their chassis', to make sure they stay firmly on the rails too. For this I have used some self adhesive car tyre weights, which were sourced on EBay.

A good 2 - 3 hour running session ensued, during which time I was able to do a bit of video, which I will post on YT in the next few days. My wife has had a friend over today and her 2 yr old daughter thought the trains were great - you cant start them too young!

Whats to do next :? Hopefully, if the weather decides to stay, it will be more running - otherwise, I have 4 more locos & a handful of wagons that need a bit of weathering....

ba14eagle said:

...It is very nice to have enough faith in everything to be able to turn your back for 5 minutes, without a disaster occuring :D ....

That's more like it - just what I was hoping to hear. I've had some troublesome episodes too and in the heat of the moment it's enough to make you wonder if it's ever going to work properly. I'm glad you've been able to come up with a solution and I'm sure you'll come up with another one the next time something else untoward happens ;)

Looking forward to the video.

I'm glad you found the problem on your stock. I've heard of other models that had tracking issues because the detail and tolerance on the end beams was too close to the real thing. Our new highly detailed models may have gotten to true to prototype, time to break out some old 70's era stock. ;)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments :oops:

I do enjoy filming the railway in operation - it gives you something to look at when the weather isnt so good - but I start to struggle with finding different viewpoints - especially as I dont really want footage with the washing on the washing line or other untidy "clutter" in the background!

ba14eagle said:

...but I start to struggle with finding different viewpoints - especially as I dont really want footage with the washing on the washing line or other untidy "clutter" in the background!

Same here. We had one of those rotary washing lines back in Selby and, when I remembered to, I used to take it down completely so that it didn't detract from the video. It's not easy trying to keep every unwanted object out of shot when you're filming in a rear garden. You do a pretty good job with some nice viewpoints.

• 2 months later...

I have been busy with a bit of tinkering on the HFR, lately, even if Ive not run anything.

I started off with a few signals. I only bought these for a bit of detail and as props when filming or photographing the trains, as they are non-operational models from the Modelscene / Peco range. Quite good value and dont look too bad when tinkered with. I have 6 in all, which work as 3 pairs. When I say work, they work together as one in each pair shows a proceed aspect, whilst the other shows a red aspect. A pair is used at each end of my loops - the line that is being run over has the green, the other the red - you get it.. These have had the junction indicators or "feathers" removed, as they are basically starting signals.

DSCF4053.JPG

DSCF4057.JPG

DSCF4054.JPG

DSCF4055.JPG