Hampton Field Railway, Wiltshire. Potted history

ba14eagle

A late season update from Wiltshire....

The barmy weather over the last week has given me an opportunity to do some jobs now that had been on the "to do" list for the spring.

The neighbours have removed the rickety old fence that blighted the background of my layout and replaced it with a nice new one, which the landlord agreed to me painting on my side. I now have a nice "blue sky" backdrop to my railway. I am still planning on tacking some offcuts of plastic grass (kindly donated by a work colleague) to the fence, to represent distant hills.....

I have rubbed down the wall of the raised bed and given it a couple of coats of some sort of weathershield type paint, which looks much tidier.

I have finished off the ballasting all the way around the line. Not without problems though - being a bit too eager at the model shop the other day, I managed to buy Woodand Scenics fine ballast instead of the medium - I wondered why it was being blown away in the wind today :oops::!: Also, the syringes I was trying to use to apply the glue had already been used for said purpose and they dont work very well on a second occasion, so I resorted to having to use a tiny pipette, which bearing in mind I did about 30ft of double track mainline, took along time. Any way, below is a sort of aerial photo of my whole railway. Overall dimensions are about 35ft x 5ft.

DSCF4210.JPG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well from here that looks absolutely stunning! The neighbours allowed you to paint half of their brand new fence sky blue? :o You must have a very good relationship with them - or perhaps you did have?

Now that you've teased us with the aerial view you really must show us some close up shots. I can't get over how good it looks and how you've achieved so much in such a narrow space. Food for thought there with my new layout.

What type of glue have you used for fixing the ballast?

The layout looks great.

I am worried about the woodland scenics as it's actually made of crushed walnut. Then again it may be perfect for outdoor layouts. I guess it depends on how you are bonding it. My first thought had been that it may decay since it's organic.

So having made my off the cuff response about the WS. How long have you been using it and how has it held up in the elements?

Now I'm off to search up more pics of your layout. :)

Mick

The glue I have used is Wickes Builders Exterior Grade PVA. Given the right drying conditions, so far, it dries rock hard. Saying that, i had to change a point and the ballasting was quickly softened by pouring on boiling water.

traingeekboy - I didnt know what the WS ballast was made of (looked like stone to me :oops: . I have only laid it this year so only time will tell how it is going to survive......

I purchased some 'budget' priced ballast in two different sizes that looks very much like proper granite ballast but is clearly something else. I was, however, under the impression that the Woodland Scenics range of ballast was actual stone ballast. WS manufacture such a diverse range of ballasts and other similar scatter materials that their products will undoubtedly be derived from various sources; crushed walnut, as mentioned by traingeekboy, perhaps being one such source.

It will be interesting to hear how your ballasted tracks hold up through the coming months.

There's a chap up in Suffolk / Norfolk (somewhere ending in 'olk', anyway :D ) runs a company called Modeller's Mate - as well as a massive array of tools, including proper brass pins suitable to pinning track outdoors, and a large range of actual stone chippings for ballast and decorative use from fine grade up to 5mm chunks. Available in various weights including 25Kg sacks, ideal for large layouts such as those in the garden...

He does a lot of the exhibitions, a full list on his website, so if you want some you can contact him in advance and he'll bring the sack or whatever to the show with him for you to pick up.

And it has to be said, that's a lovely scenic layout - beautifully landscaped. If it was me i would have been tempted to paint the whole fence top to bottom in blue hehehehe

EDIT: Would help if I included the web link...

http://www.modellersmate.co.uk

Edited by Guest

Super work, looks great. I have the same worries as traingeekboy regarding the Woodland Scenics ballast, fingers crossed it'll be ok though. The adhesive will have soaked in and waterproofed it with any luck

I used Gaugemaster ballast, that is real granite.

Hope to see some more pics soon.

Ian.

I hope the PVA works for you. I think I read on a different forum some time ago that it doesn't like being wet for any length of time and that's why I opted to use the floor polish.

Maybe some brands are better than others.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sort of laughing at myself. I stumbled onto a video of your layout on youtube and didn't make the connection to this forum. Then I think I posted the link on my layout thread and noted that it was an awesome layout, which it is. I think most of the oo outdoor crew is on here now. this just seems to be the place for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Iain. I have read your posts and watched your videos, and I am impressed by what you have achieved. I just wish I had found this forum before I started re-inventing the wheel myself!! I particularly like your miniature trees; are they specific small-growing species or will you need to replace them when they get too big?

Fungus

The conifer types are slow growing, miniature varieties, but still need trimming once a year. They are now about 10 years old.

At the house end of the railway, on the outside of the curve are some giant sequoia trees :!: - these would have the potential to grow upto 100 ft or more tall if planted normally, but like the conifers, I have planted them with the roots in a plastic tube, so as to stunt their growth. I suppose one day I will have to replace them and possibly the conifers, but thats not on the cards at the minute.

I have also used lots of hebes, herbs, sedums and ground hugging plants around the layout - all chosen very carefully at the garden centre or diy superstores. I really cannot stand plants that become enormous :!: Due to our soil acidity or alkalinity (I cant remember which :oops: ) I have been unable to make use of the majority of heather varieties, which are favoured by a large number of garden railway enthusiasts.

Like most aspects involved in building a garden railway, I had no idea about plants and gardening, but have enjoyed reading books and watching dvd / videos regarding the subject, so as to develop an understanding of what to do for the best for my situation. I know they are mainly aimed at the larger scale modellers but the Garden Rail magazine, dvd and books have been very useful, as well as the episode of Mark Founds Garden Railway TV programme which dealt specifically with the horticultural aspect of the hobby.

Lastly, dont forget, the HFR has literally grown since about 1999 - patience has its own reward - it now looks like what I envisaged it would look like when I started out....(but there is still a small bit of soil that wont grow anything - now covered in imitation grass!!)

• 10 months later...

I was just going to post about my attempts at running on the HFR yesterday, but after spending an interupted half an hour typing - I got timed out :x

Anyway, it was rubbish :x I could have put the lot on ebay and given up :x Bachmann mk1 coaches do my head in - any dodgy track - they find it :x

It now looks like I've got some relaying to do before next summer, to replace some damaged / twisted rails :x I managed a short video for YT - should be up later today or tomorrow. Just making a list now of priority modelling work for the winter - mostly putting passengers in coaches, renumbering and weathering.

• 4 months later...

I took a cursory look around the front part of the HFR the other day, just to check for any damage caused by the recent poor weather.

I wish I'd not bothered now, as I will have to get the soldering iron :evil: out, before even considering running any trains. I have found 10 rail bondings that have come adrift, 1 of which was at a track feed. I just hope that the rear part of the line has stood up to the weather better....

I have been busy over the winter with some detailing of stock. I have just finished work on my Newspaper train (having taken the easy option and just stuck to weathering the vehicles, rather than performing any surgery on them) and by the end of the coming weekend, I will have finished my Mk1 "Thames Express" NSE set of coaches. The hardest part of that job was finding sufficient numbers of the right type of people to fill it with! Anyway, both sets will be of 9 vehicles and will soon be posted in the members stock section of the forum.

There are a trio of new loco's on the HFR, which I may not have mentioned previously - Heljan class 58, 58037, Bachmann class 37, 37693 (which I have now weathered and is just waiting its sound chip) and a Heljan class 33, 33117. Both the Heljan locos are waiting weathering and sound chips. Again, details to follow in the members stock section.

I really like your layout, so took the time to re-read the entire discussion on it. I wish there were more photos. For some reason I'm convinced I've seen some too.

You mentioned losing a post. I have really spotty borrowed internet from my neighbor, yes I did ask him first. So mine just logs me out periodically. I tend to do a ctrl a ctrl c periodically so that I have a copy of my work in my clip board just in case.

I've started thinking of writing everything in a simple text editor and then copy pasting into my browser. It's such a pain to write something and lose it.

i'm off to your Youtube channel to watch your videos now.

It seems like Im going to have to get out and have a clean up and then take some more photos! I have been meaning to add some more to my various galleries, but I dont seem to get the time to do it... :(

In anticipation of the "wagon cam" tour (and I have been painting lots of "train" passengers), I am currently painting a few "station" passengers, so when we get to do my railway, there will be some passengers on platforms - a good reason to run trains!