Whitewater Railway

silverking

Hey ba14eagle.

You may well be right about the coaches from the new partwork mag but they are just the job for me to practice my weathering skills on (they don't exist at the moment) and when they are nipping along behind an A4, A3, V2 or some other suitable piece of motive power it will have the desired effect I think don't you? Any way I'm game for that. I'll do a couple and post pics of the result.

Cheers Mick.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TGB,

Thanks for the comments. The gravel is HORTICULTURAL GRIT. I used to use it as track ballast on my G-scale railway and it held the track rigid without any other fixing and was perfect scale,whilst it is to big for OO-scale Ithought I would lay it along the sides of the track base to see what it looked like and to me it looks ok, as for things being tidy I hope that will go with age and MOTHER NATURES help.

Regards Mick.

Not sure if you use this option, but I always go to the main page and click recent posts to see what is active. I assume you're on now, so if you do that you can see my recent train additions and some stuff about my good friend Larry. :)

I like the grit. I am very envious of you garden level modelers, at least until I try to stoop and can feel the discs shifting out of alignment in my lower back; perhaps I need some of that horticultural grit in my spine to help keep things from shifting. :o:shock::lol::lol:

I have used Budgie grit in some places. I found a really fine composite, although the three or four so yards have now been lifted, but it did look alright. It dis coloured after a while and did start to flake away,(maybe a year later) but I put that down to the holding agent which was a clear varnish I found on my paint shelf.

Dabbled with foam underlay (see page 10 on my Rossi Railway In the Sun blog). At the moment (after a years running on it) it seems to not want to stay firm, unless really screwed down tightly.

I'm about to redo all the station approach,(again) so I think the foam will be discarded.

Hey it's you! I always love the model railroader piccies. It's nice to know who we're speaking with.

Best thing about garden railway modeling is we actually use shovels. ha ha

Those coaches look good to my eyes. I don't know enough about your trains (Brits) to see a flaw here unless it's a missing logo. How do they run without the weight? seems to me added weight always helps things track better.

RE: the picture provided.

NO comment ;)

http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/download/file.php?id=1372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks IanR

Your reply has given me a rather interesting idea. What if we as a group (THE FORUM ) could find a quarry and approach them with vie to buying some of their sweepings up. There must be tons of it doing nothing.Come on guys thinking heads on some body must know or live near said quarry. Ballasting is an ongoing job.

Regards Mick.

HI TGB

Thanks for your reply.The coaches don't look to bad do they? Look closer at the first door the step should be below it.I took the weights out to make em easier to pull,as I will have some interesting grades (American term?) The pic of YOURS TRULY is not one of my better ones. Hope it isn't to scary?

Yours truly MICK.