Whitewater Railway

silverking

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked again at the coaches and I can't see the flaw in the photo. What I do see is a nice rake of coaches!

Yeah we had some rough weather. Normally we get 15-18 inches of rain a year here in Denver. Boulder, where I used to live, got around 8 inches in one night up in the foothills above it. One place got 14 inches total over several days. I was actually driving through Left Hand canyon 4 days before this big storm. I moved back to colorado in '77 just a year after the Big Thompson flood where 42 people were swept away by a wall of water over night. I have always kept that in my head, and as we drove down left hand canyon was looking at all these houses merely feet above creek level and thinking, oh boy not good. I am in central Denver, what we got was just gloomy weather. Nothing worth worrying about except I feel like I lost a week off the end of summer due to it.

I suppose the victim count is up to 8 now, very sad but not on a par with 43 in one night. I read one report of a man standing on the edge of the creek looking at the water when it broke away under him. I feel sad hearing of things like that as it shouldn't have happened, but we humans are nosey creatures aren't we?

I'm actually sort of amazed by how the media reported it. Our local TV news is run by ignorant reporters who don't seem to know how to write a story or provide any context. All they want is to hype everything to get more viewership. Judging by the images one would think all of colorado was underwater. Well some of colorado was underwater, but only the low lands by creeks. (coloradan for rivulet of water with rocks that can swell into a roiling river during spring run off or the occasional flood.) If I recall correctly last spring was quite time for lots of flooding in the UK as well. the only thing truly shocking for us, is that we live in a climate just a notch above being in a desert. You should see the traffic slow to a crawl when it rains here. ;)

My friend's father lives in four mile canyon but he is up high so he was out of touch and without power for several days, but my friend finally heard from him. That area was one of the mountain areas that really got hammered. Also, the towns right at the base of the foothills got hit hard. Hopefully they will have the sense to not rebuild in flood plains again.

Sara has a colleague who's house was simply washed away in lyons. He woke and ran and got his neighbors out of their house who were much closer to the creek.They got out minutes before it happened, but now have nothing.

So yes, it was really bad for some people not 30 miles away from me, but I was just inconvenienced. It's strange to live so close to a catastrophe, know people who lived through some of the worse of it, and yet not actually have had any experience of it. Ok enough of my rambling.

Hi TGB

Glad to hear you and yours are all ok. I agree with your sentiments on the media coverage of events.If we had responsible reports there may not be as much trouble in the world as there is. Sensationalist jounalism is the curse of the modern world. Hey I'm getting on my soapbox and I shouldn't do it here.Sorry.

Regards Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

PROPERTY FOR SALE

3 Bedroom Country Cottage

All bedrooms en-suite + family bathroom

Ground floor consists of

Large lounge, Dining room, Kitchen.

Outhouse and Privvy

SPECTACULAR views of railway

suit enthusiast or ANORACK.

£99.000 ono.

Contact

W E DIDLUM Estate Agent

Seriously Guys 99p from local charity shop.

587a485986553_cottageforsale.JPG.4273b9db37046db11b251a48945e7ae7.JPG

Hi TGB

Thanks for the comment. The top three coaches in pic 68 are the mystery coaches and posed right I dont think they look to bad. The six roads that are in at the moment are the proposed platform roads there are two more to add to the left of the picture making a 4 platform station. At the moment I am not to happy with the the turn-outs a bit to trainset looking for my liking, I might try large radius ones by Peco. I would be grateful for any suggestions, in case you want to put your planning head on the width of the station area is 18 inches.

Regards Mick.

Definitely use large radius points Mick. We usually have plenty of space with garden railways so there's no reason not to.

Are you bonding them as shown in the 'Operating Points Outdoors' forum? http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84''>http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84'>http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply and oppinion regarding point radius, a different pair of eyes a different view. I will be bonding points as per post on outdoor operation, I also think your idea for point operation is inspired little short of genious it's so simple and it looks so reliable. We have a scrap yard very near so I will have a ride down and see what they have got on their wreckers they may be even cheaper than e-bay. Thanks again.

Regards Mick.

The motors have definitely been reliable, they work every time.

'Whitewater Railway' needs moving to the Members Garden Railway section, I'm not sure how it's done, probably has to be done by admin.

By the way, did you go to Model Rail Live at Newark showground? I called on the Saturday on my way to Norfolk and ended up spending some of my holiday money on a Bachmann 4f! :D

Ian R

Hi Ian

It might be a good idea to shift me to Members layouts but I dont know how to do it either or to contact Admin, maybe they'll read this post and sort it. Glad you made the show I got there on Sunday. I only bought a box of Peco flexi track and a couple of new second hand med radius points (they were in the wrong tub),got em for £4 each bargain eh. I could have spent two fortunes but can't we all. got to go now last shift of the week.Hope the 4F does it's stuff.

Regards Mick.