gradients

trebor

moving house has given me the opportunity to extend my layout into the garden where i'm still at the planning stage, with the help of Mick I found the answer to building a viaduct but now ive got stumbled across another problem, theres a height difference of 200mm from where the railway will enter the garden across the said viaduct to a lower flower bed some 6.5m away now if i've done my calculations correctly this equates to a 1:32 gradient so will my engines be able to negotiate this slope when pulling a maximum of five coaches

• 3 weeks later...

Trebor, in my experience, the answer is "unlikely". Different locos and different coaches will cope very differently with the same gradient (and curvature has a big effect, as noted by Traingeekboy in the WR thread), but my experience with the Weekend Railway is that when the worst was about 1:80 on a near-straight, anything would cope, but 1:56 on a 24" radius was a real challenge to some locos with only 5 coaches. Easing that same curve to 1:66 has made a huge difference. A bit of gradient to challenge the locos, or deal with the scenery, adds interest. A train that stalls very other lap is just a frustration, as I've discovered.