Jim's Garden Railway

jimbob

I supose if you haven't got it in stock you can put any price on it because you have none to sell ! Luckily l have a new box in the shed and a stack of used lengths as well, some hord toilet rolls, me track ! 

This does raise the question of a shortage of items from China and other overseas suppliers. Some stuff l want for my deadrail system is now on a 3 month back order from the USA and no guarantee then. Perhaps the likes of Peco and other UK producers may steal a march on the box importers, may even prompt a resurgence of home grown production.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much running as the battery which powers the inverter for controller power has died but l decided to do some much needed trackside beautification in the train set area ( what l call the roundy roundy section).

Anyway, several sawn up pallets and two rolls of artificial grass latter and l am not so embarrassed by it any more. Plants are a problem at the moment so it is a matter use what l've got. Went to the local garden centre and basically got trampled on by little old ladies in a buying frenzy,  l have the trolly mark's on my back to prove it!  Managed to pick up some differant Sedem plants and l will see how the go. The area is in shade most of the day, nice when the suns out for operating but not so good for growing plants. Any plant suggestions welcome. 

20200601_101707.jpg

20200601_101734.jpg

20200601_101750.jpg

20200601_101823.jpg

• Like 1

Great to see some photos again Jim - it's looking very neat and tidy. Does the battery just require charging or is it a case of needing to get a replacement?

I could do with going to the garden centre myself but I've been putting it off since they reopened. Shouldn't be too bad as the cafe is closed and that's usually what draws the elderly ladies in. Hopefully they'll all have got their fill of bedding plants by now.

Battery is normally kept topped up by a solar panel but fitted a gizmo to check the charge rate etc last year and over the winter somthing went wrong with it and it ran the battery down. Tried charging it up but charger packed up, tried again with new charger but says its fully charged after ten minutes but only shows about 8 volts on meter. Is a few years old now so will replace.

Garden centre not to bad, didn't need to queue but decent plants as hard to find as toilet rolls weeks age. Went to B&Q Sunday for some wood etc, about 60 people queueing  to get in, stuff that matey, as an over weight, over 60 diabetic thought it not worth the risk.

Has anyone else noticed that lockdown + good weather has seen the popularity of garden railway expand and actual layout grow. Besides the new active member on here there are a load of new 00 gauge garden railway videos on youtube as well. Long may it continue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimbob said:

Has anyone else noticed that lockdown + good weather has seen the popularity of garden railway expand and actual layout grow....

Yes, there's been a noticeable increase in interest in OO garden railways with several new layouts appearing online as well as a lot of progress made with existing layouts on our forum. The 'lockdown' has certainly been a contributory factor coupled with the long dry sunny spell during Spring. I'm sure had the weather not been so kind it would have been a different story as, even with lots of time on your hands, a garden railway isn't much fun when it's bucketing down with rain! But yes like you, I hope interest in OO garden railways continues to thrive and people continue to bring new ideas and methods to the forum and the wider community.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As it was raining l though l would tidy the spaghetti of wireing on the class 40 l converted to battery/radio control. Needed to add an on off switch for when it's not in use as well. Normal bad soldering complete l connected the battery back up and flash bang blue smoke and up went £45 of RC chip. Idiot boy here had forgotten to insulate one of the joints and - meeting + = blue smoke. I am hoping that it hasn't taken out the DCC chip as well. Lesson learnt, if it ain't broke don't fix it !

Oh dear, and I was about to say that at least when it's raining it allows us the opportunity to catch up with all those little jobs we never seem to get round to doing. I hadn't anticipated any blue smoke! That's never a good sign.