Loco lights

traingeekboy

Ok, it's time to take the PI** out of you Brits. How the hell can you enjoy locos without headlights? When I was a kid all my trains had headlights for night running.

My two brit locos do not have headlights. Is this how the real things are? Where should I mount a light on my Fowler? I figure I can just drill a hole and solder a light off the loco leads.

Am I seriously breaking the rules here? I need lights dammit!

Where you place the lights on a steam locomotive is very important. Over here, different positions on the bufferbeam and smokebox door indicated the type of train the loco is hauling. Youll be able to find them all if you Google it.

traingeekboy said:

Oh god... So... Lets say I have this here fowler and it's pulling some coaches and some baggage vans. One lamp top center?

Yes, that would be ok for that type of train. The lamps weren't to light they way ahead, they were merely marker lamps. So you see why it's difficult to have working lamps on British trains.

Now when you look at pictures of British trains you'll be able to tell what sort they are by the lamps. :)

Unfortunately the actual lamps are only put in place on each bracket when the class of train needs to be indicated. The only time there is a lamp on every bracket is when the loco is hauling a Royal train. Also, they are lit by oil or paraffin (kerosene), so its not just a question of switching them on. If you only use a particular loco for one class of train, and are happy to have the lamp(s) in place all the time, you can use DCC to create the natural flickering effect of an oil lamp. They are of course next to useless for lighting up the road ahead.

Dave.