Bachmann MPV

chris

I've had my eye on this model since it's launch in mid 2011. I had it on my Christmas list for that year, but Sarah was under strict instructions to buy this or the Network Rail Class 31 from Hornby, but not both. I wanted an element of surprise...

The 31 has been tootling around Amblethorpe for a year now an I've been keeping a watch on the ads to see if the MPV has become a "BARGIN". On Monday I spotted it in the ModelZone Sale. On Tuesday I purchased it. On Wednesday it was dispatched and Thursday delivered, DCCed and run. So Friday and it's time for a review.

It's great.

What you want more?

OK here's a picture.

77d80eacb637455b589784c1855067a1.jpg

another?

7056077db2af5bae52d9e4bde7cc4962.jpg

more!

see my gallery.

From a detail point of view this is quite simply the most detailed OO model train I've seen. It runs very smoothly, which is doubling impressive, when you release that all those grey units between the cabs are removable, so where exactly is the motor? DCC conversion was easy peasy.

I did have one problem, it stopped working.

User error. :oops:

If you can find an excuse to run one of these on your railway then get yourself to ModelZone and spend £68, you won't regret it. But you'll have to go to a shop, the've sold out on line.

and the Hornby Class 31 is still at full price, so good choice by Sarah.

Thanks for the "heads up" about these fabulous units. I ordered mine at 9.30pm on Wednesday and it arrived at 8.10am on Friday. I usually consider Modelzone rather expensive but these are fantastic bargains. Also, they must be the easiest models to fit with a decoder ever. I fitted a Hornby 21 pin Sapphire decoder in less time than it took me to couple the two units together. With pick up off every wheel it will crawl like a snail on speed step 2 (128 step setting) over any point work.

Thanks again for telling us about these bargains.

My MPV stopped working again. The lights worked but it didn't move.

Turned out the a small nudge to the flywheel was enough to get it going.

I guess I need to run it in, but I don't have an indoor layout and I've not finished Amblethorpe's loop yet.