Bachmann 31-255DC Midland Pullman in Nanking Blue livery

mick

Very nice Mick, but I think I'll wait for an 8 car Blue Pullman. It may not appear soon but it will appear in the future. After all manufacturers such as Hornby replied to a request of mine that they wouldn't be making the LMS Coronation pacific in coronation blue again or the coaches either. Yet it appeared recently as a loco and 3 coach set. Never say never. So Bachmann will no doubt be making a Blue Pullman in a western 8 coach set in time, although they have stated that the 6 coach set is all they will make. Didn't the Midland sets eventually all end up on the western anyway? What a great pity that more development work wasn't done on the bogies to cure the rough riding. I wonder how a set of modified HST bogies would have been. There was not much of a time break between the withdrawal of the Blue Pullmans and the introduction of the HST. Only 3 or 4 years.

Roy.

cleanerg6e said:

...So Bachmann will no doubt be making a Blue Pullman in a western 8 coach set in time...

If they do I might just have one myself!

I saw in one of the model railway mags this month that Lord & Butler are repainting (yes repainting) and modifying some of the Bachmann Blue Pullman's in the reverse corporate blue and grey livery with multiple working cables so that two 6 car sets could run in multiple as a 12 car unit. Unfortunately at the time of writing their website doesn't show any images but there is a photo in British Railway Modelling of one 6 car set and it looks very, very nice. Prices start at £525 :shock: for a pristine standard DCC fitted model and £800 :o for one fitted with dual sound. Hope you're right so we can wait for the Bachmann version!

Reading up on a bit of info on the Pullmans, it seems that BR only had 5 sets. 2 six car Midland Pullmans and 3 eight car western Pullmans. On the western sets they just had the word "Pullman" in white letters in the same place as on the Midland Pullman. I have a DVD from video 125 called Diesel and electric on 35mm Volume 1 & 2 and that shows on the western mainline in colour the 8 coach Blue Pullmans in Nanking Blue and also the 2 Midland sets coupled together with full yellow ends. There is a volume 3 in that collection which may show the grey and blue livery. In the the research I did the comment on the grey/blue livery was 'what cras clown thought that this colour scheme was an improvement'. Still each to his own. When the prototype HST came out it was in the same livery, that was one of the reasons that the Met-Cam Pullmans were withdrawn, so as not to be associated with the new HST and give it a bad image.

Roy.