Goalkeeper has had a bad week!

mick

Did anyone watch the Everton v Manchester City game on Sky TV, Saturday lunchtime? Excellent match won by 10-man Everton 2-0, but did you hear the commentator (was it Martin Tyler?) remark that the Everton goalkeeper, Jan Mucha, had "had a bad week" because he'd had to attend court over a driving offence. Mucha was standing in for the injured Everton keeper Tim Howard and the commentators remark sounded to me like we should have some sympathy with the troubled keeper. It turns out that Jan Mucha had been caught driving a vehicle without a licence or insurance whilst supposedly serving a ban for previous speeding offences! So what would constitute a good week for Jan Mucha then? - that he be allowed to get away with it for another 7 days? In court the Premiership footballer, who initially argued that he didn't know he was banned because he doesn't read his own mail, was ordered to do 250 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £145 costs. £145 eh?....That'll teach him!

Also on the field of play at the same time as Everton's Jan Mucha was Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez who has recently been charged with similar offences of driving while disqualified and driving without a licence. Another hefty fine coming along there I wouldn't bet.

There was another one who's name I can't remember from Newcastle, who pleaded that he had ignored the summons because he didn't understand the word constabulary. Lampard dumped his Bently in a traffic jam caused by two fatalities because he didn't want to be late home. I'm heartily sick of these over paid and over rated prima donnas, who have killed football for the working man.

roddy said:

There was another one who's name I can't remember ... who pleaded that he had ignored the summons because he didn't understand the word constabulary...

That was the Carlos Tevez incident mentioned above Roddy. Maybe you are thinking of Nicklas Bendtner, then a player on loan to Sunderland, who received a ban after being caught speeding. Not sure who he plays for now but it's a pity he couldn't produce such a turn of speed whilst on the turf. Mind you, with the way some of these grossly overpaid footballers perform, being caught speeding is the only way they're ever likely to get 3 points!

I'm sure that you're right Mick. My memory is hopeless at the moment. Too much money too soon for these players who think that they are exempt from any repercussions. On a brighter note, did you pick up the story of the young Ipswich player, who on being wished good luck for the game discovered that the fan was too "skint" to be able to go. The player left two tickets at the ground for him, and then after the game checked to see if the fan had enjoyed the game. A small token from the player, but it meant a lot to the fan.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/footballer-buys-tickets-skint-twitter-user-102618389.html

roddy said:

...On a brighter note, did you pick up the story of the young Ipswich player, who on being wished good luck for the game discovered that the fan was too "skint" to be able to go. The player left two tickets at the ground for him, and then after the game checked to see if the fan had enjoyed the game. A small token from the player, but it meant a lot to the fan...l

Yes, I read about that on the BBC news website yesterday Roddy and it's fully deserving of a mention here. A very nice gesture from the player, Tyrone Mings, in stark contrast to what we've become accustomed to reading about several other high-profile players of the day.

We have the same trouble over here Mick and Roddy, although the code which seems to suffer in NSW is called Rugby League. Like ordinary rugby but rougher. I know a local girl who was at Penrith Rugby Leagues Club and she was asked if she wanted to dance by a bloke with an enormous ego . She said no and he said don't you know who I am, I'm Greg Alexander the top player and captain of Penrith Panthers rugby league first grade team and no one refuses me!. His brother Ben was also in the first grade team and one Friday night he and some mates got blind drunk and driving a car went through red traffic lights at an intersection hitting a Honda Accord. They killed themselves and the innocent people in the Honda and yet the media made them out to be heroes giving wide advertisement to where the funeral would be held. The people in the Honda and their family didn't rate a mention as they weren't 'Superstars' of sport.

Many of these so called superstars of sport have huge egos like the tennis player Bernard Tomic who has been caught speeding numerous times in his orange Ferrari. You can't own one of those on an ordinary persons pay. Another was the F1 driver Louis Hamilton who was caught in Melbourne speeding and downing burnouts in his hired Mercedes car. I can still remember the shot of the car on a flat bed truck readied to be impounded by the police.

These 'sportsmen' are so young and they're on multi million dollar salaries, the press constantly blow sunshine up their rear ends, they're waited on hand and foot so is it any wonder that their egos explode.

Roy.