Bachmann 32-387 class 37 37506 in Railfreight red stripe liv

mick

Straight from the box and without any additional detailing parts being added, here are images of the Bachmann 32-387 class 37 locomotive 37506 in the Railfreight red stripe livery, obtained via 'Liverpool' brand new for only £50

cc6d3b42a34043590c7e7567fcf9b79d.jpg

56f8758d490b8e1b65d027005f9bd7d8.jpg

• 9 years later...

I know that a few of us have this loco.

A dangerous thing, research. https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37604

Filtering on status changes, you can see that it was renumbered to 37506 on 03/04/1986. It was transferred from Cardiff Canton to Thornaby on 18/01/1987 (where presumably it got the kingfisher emblem) and was named "British Steel Skinningrove" sometime in March 1987. It had its name plates removed the same day it was renumbered 37604 on 20/04/1995.

So from all that, we can say that its time in the condition modelled was less than 3 months.

I guess it depends how much you want to worry about that when you run it. Thornaby also painted on the red stripe and she was like this by 01/02/87. You could add the nameplates and then get a little more longevity, but then she had large numbers added in 10/87, so you would only extend it slightly further. Add the large numbers and you get a few more years...

I guess we all have our own little bits of pedantry. Personally I have a bit of a thing about 47/7's running on model railways with snow-ploughs fitted. At the end of the day you can do what you like, but I often feel compelled to tell people, just in case they don't know, there is never any real issue from me, but I'm sure some people take it the wrong way.

I have the Lima model of 37506 with the nameplates, but without the large numbers, so I get a few more months than you, and I don't have to worry about breaking off any of the details when it has an accident or I pick it up... LOL

I think I'm as much persuading myself to get something done with this loco. It is a bit of a nothing loco within my collection, doesn't fit with any of my other stock although Thornaby locos did take steel trains down through Derby where I grew up around.

I've always used this one as a bit of a workhorse, for testing track etc.

Maybe I should get it heavily weathered and renumbered, I'm not a fan of the Thornaby look with the big numbers and names on freight locomotives. 37510 never had a name and looks like it kept small numbers. I will have a think.

The big gotcha with 37510 is that it never had a red-stripe, it also had the full colour version of the Thornaby kingfisher, and in a different place. She also had the large numbers applied in August 1987.

Another little thing that annoys me, and I forgot to add in my last post so I will add it here... (lol), is the new Bachmann class 47 model of 47004, which is advertised as being in Railfreight Aggregates livery, which is correct. But she carries the Tinsley shed symbol, which was applied after her transfer away from the Railfreight Aggregates pool at Eastfield and in to the Railfreight Distribution pool at Tinsley. So in theory, everyone who runs it with an aggregates train is pretty much incorrect. Of course it matters to nobody else but me probably, but I do wish that Bachmann would have acknolwedged this somewhere. This whole thing is a nightmare once you get going!! Best just to run Rule 1!! Just had to get that off my chest... now, where's my beer.... (lol)

My next question is, since you have lots more info than I do, which 37/5s had the red stripe and no name please? Not bothered about big numbers of the coloured kingfisher - the white kingfisher is pretty much impossible to tell what it is if you don't know already. And did any of those have ploughs fitted?

I know it is difficult to know all of this information and allocations and liveries changes so often that a loco wouldn't be in a given condition for too long before another change came along. e.g. it looks like the most of the 37/5 fleet was in railfreight sector triple grey within a couple of years. But you'd think the manufacturers would have the ability to check and at least create something that actually existed for a time.

On the flip side, model railways can only ever be a representation of a real railway with sharper than real life curves and points, things that can't be scaled down etc.

Basically your screwed. The only other one to carry red-stripe Railfreight was 37502 which had the stripe and plates applied at the same time as 37506. I'm also not aware of any of them carrying snow-ploughs. I suggest you just sit back and enjoy it, or if you want to sell it I will give you £50 for it.... 🤣🤣🤣

To be honest I'm not much of an expert on class 37's.... you should try me on class 47's... 😁

Regarding your second point it is really truly amazing how many manufactures make 'school boy' errors when producing locos, something that with even the slightest bit of research they should discover.

I knew when I was typing that this morning that I was myself making a 'school boy' error by not checking. I shouldn't type on here straight after a night shift... (doh).

37520 didn't have snowploughs with small numbers I'm afraid. She left Crewe at the beginning of September 87 and by the 17th she already had the big numbers. Snowploughs were fitted about a year later.

I forgot that the last few of the batch (514-21) left works with a red-stripe rather than Thornaby painting it on themselves, . Of those there is one candidate that fits your needs, although it only lasted like that for possibly days rather than months... That would be 37518.

Edited by Loco Hauled

On 01/07/2022 at 15:10, Loco Hauled said:

I knew when I was typing that this morning that I was myself making a 'school boy' error by not checking. I shouldn't type on here straight after a night shift... (doh).

37520 didn't have snowploughs with small numbers I'm afraid. She left Crewe at the beginning of September 87 and by the 17th she already had the big numbers. Snowploughs were fitted about a year later.

I forgot that the last few of the batch (514-21) left works with a red-stripe rather than Thornaby painting it on themselves, . Of those there is one candidate that fits your needs, although it only lasted like that for possibly days rather than months... That would be 37518.

You can almost see my house in this photo!

Amblethorpe is just below the horizon on the extreme right.

Live update: They are harvesting the field on left.

• 9 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, Loco Hauled said:

I should have come back and thanked you for the info. 518 would be perfect.

However, my Dad quite likes 506 as it is (it doesn't fit with his layout time/place either) as it goes with the rake of speedlink liveried wagons. So it looks like it is staying the way it is. I'll probably just give it to him.

I think at some point I'll have to get another 37 (maybe a 37/4 from the Inverness stable when someone brings one out).