Polar Express

george356

What with Cherry Parkway being under a foot of snow, and being a Grandfather to a train mad 2 year old boy who's favourite film is "Polar Express", I have decided to try and model the loco and rake depicted in the film.

I have sourced the loco, a Berkshire 2-8-4 #1225 "Pere Marquette" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300850224528?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and on the advice of Griff (traingeekboy) looked for Pullman Heavyweight coaches (cars).

I bought this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160951705166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to practice my painting skills on, and have just won these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300849074800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to represent the real thing.

I want to thank Griff for his advice and information and I feel sure that there will be many pictures to post, once I have got the goods in my hands.

If you have a 2 year old, don't take it too seriously. I bet you could tape pieces of paper the the sides of the car that say polar express and he'd flip his lid. If you can get some coach lights going he'll be even more impressed.

I wouldn't wait a year to deliver this one. A year is a long time when you are 2 years old.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Well, I have my loco, I have my 9 coaches (cars) and I have (badly) painted my test coach. The pics of that are really not worth posting, wrong colour, wrong type of paint.

The loco is very impressive, it came DCC fitted for $75. I have removed the Bachman chip from the tender and fitted one of my Digitrax SDH164D sound chips, a pretty easy job.

I will test it tomorrow and take a couple of pics for the forum.

Photo's are always good but photos of your own mistakes are even better, especially during these dark, dreary, wet winter weather. Whilst you are crying into your mug of tea, we can all have a good chuckle at your exspence. :lol:

Ian

Ha Ha you missed with that snowball :lol::lol::lol:

Right, as promised, a short clip of the Pere Marquette after I have replaced the original DCC chip with the Digitrax sound chip SDH164D.

The loco cost me $75 from the States, the sound chip $26 again from the USA.

Swapping them out was easy, the original Bachman chip was in the tender and had provisions for a speaker (holes drilled and baffle surround). So, for $100 I have a DCC sound equipped loco AND a spare DCC chip - this is a bargain!

I am running on the original combined steam/diesel sound profile supplied loaded on the chip. My next project is to replace some elements with original Pere Marquette recordings as well as some clips sourced from elsewhere ;)

IHQwDVbd5js

I would appreciate feedback, bearing in mind that the sound is better in the flesh than on the youtube clip, as my video camera's sound facility is very poor.

roddy said:

I like that George. Must get over as soon as car is sorted. How has your layout stood up to the snow and frost?

Thanks Rod.

It has stood up well to being under around a foot of snow, Rod. It just needs a run over with a track rubber and some fine days so that I can continue the build.

I need to work on Castle Bridge, one of the towers is leaning slightly and it catches the eye. I will put some slate packing under one of the towers to level it. I have got lots of projects on the workbench at the moment, too.

Some automatic signalling that I am working on before posting the method on here.

Tunnel mouths cast in resin

Girder plate bridge, everything is just in the preliminary stages.

Thanks Griff.

I am really impressed with what I have got for the cash I paid.

OK, Howes sound chips are the best that money can buy, but at £96 ($150) just for the chip it is very expensive to buy a loco and chip it.

Digitrax sound chips are a good compromise and come with a 1 year no limit guarantee (you break it, we replace it).

Plus, for outdoor use the sound does not need to be as high a quality as the Howes chips.

george356 said:

Thanks Griff.

Digitrax sound chips are a good compromise

Yes they are quite good, full of features and very good loco control. The only issue I have found with them is volume.... compared to the CT Elektronik and ESU sound decoders they are very quiet.

I like to use the sugar cube type speakers as they are easy to hide and give excellent sound (Tho the Bass is a little lacking for heavy diesels) and have tried to use these same speakers on Digitrax SND144 decoders and the sound output, while nice and clean is fairly quiet.

I have tried a selection of different speakers with no improvement, so I guess its down to the decoder.

As a side note, all the speakers tested were 8ohm as per the decoder specs