Grand Central HST

chris

I've been after a Grand Central HST for Amblethorpe all year, but only the power cars have been available, until today. Hornby have just released the 1st Class coach. The 2nd (Tourist) Class coach is expected next month with the Buffett slated for November.

It appears to me that the DCC fitted HST power cars come with the dummy car chipped as well. I'm not sure about the Hornby decoders, but an extra £10 for the fitted version is good if you get two decoders installed.

Now all I've got to decided is what formation to run it as. These days they run with 6 coaches, but I think I'll go with 5 for now, Amblethorpe's stations will struggle to fit it in even at that length!

• 1 month later...

Who'd be a model railway manufacturer trying to keep abreast of the modern scene liveries. Must be a bit of an embarrassment to Hornby if they haven't yet released models of the coaches in the previous livery and a source of frustration to those modellers still patiently awaiting release of the coaches to go with the power cars they have probably already purchased.

I noted your interest in the model Chris, did you actually purchase a set?

I've not purchased it yet. I'm waiting for the buffet car to be released before I buy a the full train. It looks like I will have to model it as per the beginning of this year running with a buffet, two standards and a first at each end, one of which was declassified.

That said, the other set I've been waiting for all year is a XC Voyager, and if that does appear in the shops I may plump for that instead. I want the 4 car version which will take a lot of work to convert to dcc. The motor is in one of the middle cars, so I'll need to chip that and both of the driving cars if I want to make use of the directional lighting.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been quite on this thread for a while. For Christmas I did get some coaches to go with the power cars, two 1st and two Standard. Since then i've been waiting… and waiting… and waiting…

Then to my total surprise (I'd given up hope) Hornby released the buffet car. Now i've just got to buy one. I was going to pop down to Rails and buy one yesterday, but they've not got it yet. I went to Carlisle instead of Sheffield (the joys of a rail rover) but C and M Models told me they had sold out :!:

I guess I'll have to pop down to Monk Bar Model Shop next week and see if they've got it.

You're going to have to be quick with this one Chris. I noticed Hattons had received some buffet cars a few days ago but already it looks like they've sold out, although it's possible there may be more stock on the way. I'd certainly have a scout around online and get an order in now if you want to guarantee getting hold of one.

mick said:

You're going to have to be quick with this one Chris.

I'd got one within a couple of hours of Monk Bar Model Shop receiving their delivery of them. They were quite surprised to get them, they also through Hornby had given up and weren't making them.