What's Happening?

EngineDriver

Hi Ian, I have got one of these, I bought it from a friend along with a Union Pacific "BigBoy" I got a very good price at £160 for the pair.The older rivarossi "BigBoy's" are going for anywhere between £120 And £180. Challengers usually go for a bit less, the D+H one is rarer than the U.P version but that said it's not that sought after either. Personally I would not pay more than £100 for it unless you really really want it but if you can get for less than £80 I would buy it regardless. I have had both the challenger and Bigboy totally stripped down, there's not that much to them, they look far more complicated than they are the motor's only weakness is the brushes which I find difficult if not impossible to get hold of. Hope this helps, if you need anymore info just ask.

Nige.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nige,

Thanks for the ingfo regarding the UP Big Boy and the D&H challenger.

I had a similiar problem with my 1976 Rivarossi BB. Needed new brushes for the motor but the hassle and cost was so much that in the end I had the motor replaced with a new Japanese motor, a Maithsu I think, it doesn't run as fast as before but the haulage capability has increased by nearly 50%.

Will make him an offer of £80 and go from there but will not be offering him anymore than £100 at most. Lets see how we go. Hopefully I will get it at the lower price but seeing that its from a shop I might have to pay £100.

Personally I think its worth spending £100 but its nice to see what other people think first before I give the wallet its first hammering of the new year.

Ian

I'm envious now, but what realy caught my eye was the 0-4-0 switcher with tender on the shelf above. I have got a little 0-4-0T PPR switcher but would dealy like to convert it to having a tender. Is this a good idea, and if so is it an easy conversion to do.

[album]805[/album]

My BB no 4013 and PPR switcher.

Ian

The switcher you can see is a Mantua one I think. It came as part of a job-lot that I bought some years ago. It does not get any use on the layout, my son Sam just charges back and forth on these two test tracks when he's in the workshop "Helping" me! :roll: As for converting a tank loco into a tender version, its not some thing I have ever done, :? but it should'nt be too difficult, you would need to remove the back cab wall to create an open cab, and make up some sort of footplate unless the motor is in the cab then that would be a waste of time, and then fit some sort of draw bar for the tender to couple up to. Have you got a tender or would you need to get hold of one? The other thing I have just thought of is what to do about the loco's tanks or saddle tank in this case. :? I can't see how on a model you would be able to remove this because it will a one piece molding, they could of course remove it from a real one to create a tender version but I don't know if any railroad has ever added a tender to a tank loco. I bet Griff could find out though he's brilliant at that sort of stuff. Perhaps when he reads this it will set him off on a quest! :lol::lol::?