What's Happening?

EngineDriver

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through this thread it's clear that most of us have other issues rather than just a mutual interest in model railways. It's nice to be able to put those other issues aside and join in a conversation, adding our experiences and expertise, with a small group of people who we've come to regard as our 'friends' even though we clearly know very little about them. Most of us 'regulars' have 'known' each other for some time without really knowing anything at all. I'm fortunate in that my only concern is deteriorating eyesight which can be improved with better lenses.

Let's hope that 2013 brings good health and fewer other concerns to us all and that the sun does shine on us so that we have many more stories and experiences to share with each other.

I've had it with this weather. I spent a lot of a time and a little bit of money on my shed this last summer in an attempt to improve its resilliance to the weather. But the damp is still getting in. Spare boards that will become key parts of Amblethorpe are getting effected.

Had to spend what has been a rather good Sunday for this time of year giving the corners of my shed a good going over in the hope that I can hold back the ingress from this constant dampness that has persisted since late September.

And that's about everything "What's Happening" here.

PS just before christmas a leak in the conservertory almost got to the metcalfe models I've made for my tramway. I think I would have cried if the'd got a soaking.

Having enjoyed a mammoth lie in, Im now addressing the coupling system on the pullmans. Im replacing the tension lock couplers with the Hornby alternative couplers, having seen how much better long rakes run with these (no more derailments).

50% of the pullmans though have the under bogie spring loaded mech, but not nem pockets, so I am taking the old coupling spring system out and replacing them with the Nem pocket variety, courtesy of a batch from Peters spares.

Next weekend its the Bognor Regis model railway club exhibition, over in Felpham, so will be going along to that to see if there are any bargains to be had, and lighting solutions for my station.

NO MORE ROLLING STOCK!!

Well, I'll try and keep to that but its never easy

Is it being held at the Arun Leisure Centre just off Felpham Way at the roundabout before you get to the X roads in Felpham village itself. If so shame its just a bit to far to go for a day out, but I do know Bognor pretty well as my parents owned a shop in Felpham Village in a parade of 5 shops opposite what was "John's" the fruit and veg shop

Ian

Are they still running that train around Hotham Park in Bognor Regis. Last time I saw it, it looked a disgrace, and I declined to go even close to it.

Another place of interest to visit when they have their open day is the Model Engineering Society in Chichester. A member there many years ago sorted out my late fathers 1930's metholated steam train and got it back to full working order, which it still is to this day.

Ian

I have not yet introduced myself but need to do that in the proper place. I do however have a word for enginedriver. Last September, I thought I had the flu. This was made worse by constant tummy cramps. Less than a week later I was in a hospital bed with scepticaemia. Three weeks later I was home again, still with tummy cramps, and clutching hospital laxatives amongst the other pills. An uncomfortable week at home and I'm again at the hospital undergoing emergency surgery for a ruptured bowel. Life is still uncomfortable with a colostomy bag, but I'm slowly improving.

Santa was kind to me with some locos and rolling stock and bits and bobs to start a layout which is why I'm here. The only question is should it be inside or outside. More of that later, but meanwhile enginedriver and all others should please be careful with your health and not just shrug things off as we usually do.

Well done Griff, soon be double track all the way round as you say. :) Looks like you had a nice day as well, its been grey cold and windy here, froze my ass off helping my son fix his car this afternoon. :x:lol::lol: Still made up for it after tea, (thats evening meal not drink) I went in the workshop and finished another building for my youngests "N" gauge. :)

Nige.

THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD! :shock: Today I unfortunately had to scrap my little run-about/work car, due to repairs being far more than it was worth :( . I only paid £250 last year and I have got £150 from the breakers yard so £100 for a years running I can live with :) , next I thought cancel the insurance, which I pay for by D/D every month. It turns out it was going to cost over £70 to cancel it or just £45 to leave it running to the end of the policy for a car thats scrapped!!!!!!! :o Neither one is ideal but guess which I went for. You could'nt make it up, the world has gone crackers, there is no wonder we're in the mess that we are in. :lol::lol: At least my no-claims is safe, unless of course it damages the car crushing machine :shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

To do or not to do. Does the wallet take another hit or shall I walk away with the item.

I usually pop into my local model shop every time SWMBO goes into town. Today was no exception, but what I was offered was something else. Okay so its not new, but the box is in near mint condition, it has all the necessary paperwork with it, including service pamphlet and warranty card. Loco was looking in perfect condition, but wrapped in a plastic sheet, which is not original. I just need to know that its in perfect working order and then I will make an offer.

Now this is where all you budding modellers can help me out. How much should I offer the guy for this surperb looking loco. As I have already said, its in perfect condition and the box is near mint with all the correct paperwork as per from the factory.

What the bloody hell is it your now asking.

It's a

Rivarrosi 4-6-6-2 steam locomotive, Challanger no 1519, and owned by The Delaware & Hudson company.

The only drawback with this model, and that is what makes me know that its an older model, is that the motor is situated in the cab, not in the boiler, so in full view at all times.

What would you consider to be a sensible offer to a shop for a very near mint condition loco ?

Ian

I had already checked on the dreaded Fleecebay before posting the question but forgot to add it to the post :oops:

If I was to get this then I would have only 2 articulated loco's, plus a small switcher, all steam and 2 diesels for my sins

Ian