Winter Project?

Hi everyone, I read with interest about Andy's new "N" gauge layout that he has just acquired from his Father in Law. I too have a small table top "N" gauge layout that requires work but in my case I have been actively avoiding it for the past two years or so. It was originally just an idea for a small table that we had. I had no real intention of building it, I was just sort of day dreaming about what could be done. Unfortunately my youngest son Sam over heard me talking to his brother about it and before I knew where we were I had bought some track and rolling stock etc. A start was made but my heart was (is) not in it, and as a concequence its taking ages to do what should have taken a few months at the most. Looking at Andy's new layout it has given me some inspiration to have another go at our layout and see if I can get it done over the winter months. We have got most of what is needed with the exception of some scenic material but that won't cost much so I will not have to seek approval from the finance dept. I have taken a few photos for you all to look at. Nige.

002 (2).jpg

003 (2).jpg

004 (2).jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Another one! :shock: What's with all the little trains?

You might not have got round to doing much scenic work here yet but there's clearly been some planning and thought gone into this. It's not easy to tell from the photos but the electrics look to be at an advanced stage. Are the points motorised? Is that a control panel attached to the front fascia?

I think a small layout is a great idea although my preference would still be for a larger scale - I'm not sure my eyesight could ever adapt to anything smaller these days. I'm still looking forward to seeing this layout develop though if you decide that the time is right to do so.

That looks superb Nige, I meant to comment the other night! Although the scenics are yet to be done, you my have an easier job than me as you have a blank canvas. Due to it's age it my layout is a bit shabby. Nothing a few hours work can't fix though :D

Hi Mick and Andy, I am at the moment building various structures for the layout, including a small oil refinery which has lots of pipe work, can't wait to paint it!!! might spray it yet though I will have to see. The points on the layout are not electrically operated as I wanted to keep costs and wiring to a minimum seeing as this is not our main layout and I'm not sure just how much use it will actually get. The control panels are as you say on the front facia and have been kept small so it all fits on the table. The turntable is just a standard Peco one and is operated via a small motor and gearbox, it is powered by two "AA" batteries. The layout is split as you can see by a central scenic divide so creating two separate towns or whatever. I have installed two multi pin sockets one on each side so that each area can be operated from its own side by simply plugging in the hand controller in the side you wish to run. Then my daughter came along and said she wanted to shunt on one side while Sam was using the other!!! :roll: So the wiring got more complicated. Now the layout can be split in two and each side can be used independently of each other, then if someone wants to run a train around or just to the other side, the other operater must clear the main line (just like in real life) and then a switch is operated which gives control of the whole layout to the first person, if you see what I mean. :?

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I have now completed a few more buildings for the layout. However due to complaints from the layout owner I have re-wired the main line so that it can be operated independently of the yards so now shunting can continue in the yards/ engine shed while the other operator runs on the main line :roll:

I have altered the track layout slightly to make things a little bit better/ more interesting as well. I will try to post a few pics soon.

Nige.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate elastictrickery! :evil: I have done quite alot of re-wiring on this little layout just recently to accomodate my youngest sons needs with regards to operating wishes, but I keep getting some wierd feedback and short circuits. I'm getting there but it's very frustraiting, just when you think youv'e cracked it something else turns up! :twisted::roll::roll:

Nige.

• 2 years later...